おじさまと猫 (Ojisama to Neko) Chapters 7 & 8 Discussion

Here is the Chapters 7 & 8 Discussion Thread!

Vocabulary List

docs.google.com

おじさまと猫 Vocab Sheet

Editing Guide How to contribute to this vocab sheet The more people contribute to the vocab sheet the more helpful it is for everyone, so please don’t feel shy about adding to it! Please read these guidelines carefully before you get stuck in, so…

Shoutout to @Sarabrina for starting this book club and @frayderike for starting us off with such a lovely vocab sheet.

Chapter and Club Links

Original Club Thread

Start from the beginning : Chapter 1 Thread

Previous thread : Chapters 5&6 Thread

Next thread : Chapters 9&10 Thread

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for content that would be considered a spoiler.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page, panel, and speech bubble…
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I have already finished this part
  • I’m no longer reading this book

0 voters

1 Like

Is theトイレの猫様 bit part of this week’s discussion or next’s?

The moment when you accidentally read chapters 6&7 last week since I thought it was one really long chapter instead of two… This book is advanced for where I am with grammar, but I am still greatly enjoying it and grasping the general gist of what is occurring is a great feeling!

4 Likes

I did the same thing :joy_cat:

2 Likes

猫は一度嫌な思いをすると一生忘れないと言われています

猫は - cat + subject marker
一度 - one time
嫌な思いをすると - if/when (they) have a bad time
一生 - (their) whole life
忘れない - not forget
と言われています - it is said
It is said that when a cat has one bad time, they don’t forget it the rest of their life.

Thought it’d be fun to do a little breakdown for a sentence that gave me some trouble.

I still need to read Ch. 8. I’m really digging how slowly but consistently we learn more about the man’s personal story. Do we know the man’s name?

5 Likes

I’ll probably try to read it this week since the two chapters were still pretty quick reads. I think there may be a similar extra section after chapter 10 as well.

I had trouble with this sentence too! Thanks for the break down.

The beginning of Chapter 8 was so easy to understand for me, it used words from previous chapters and I felt like I could read and understand it smoothly. Also it’s so damn adorable :pleading_face:

Then I got to the 2nd part of the chapter and had to eat humble pie :joy: sooo many new words. I’ll try to add some to the vocab list this weekend if no one beats me to it.

The new thread is up!

1 Like

We should learn it later when we meet more of the people in his life :slight_smile:

Edit: Page 110 of my edition. His name is 神田冬樹・かんだ・ふゆき

I feel like the そう covering the ear on the second to last page of c7 is because the mangaka didn’t like how they drew the ear lol

Yes, it was so touching! :pleading_face:

1 Like