“Advancing to semifinal”

Hi,
I am really not a fan of adding extra content to levels already finished by WaniKani users. However, there is one word not currently included in WaniKani every athletics fan watching Japanese TV will hear five times in a minute and wonder what it is.

As the kanji 準 (standard) is learned on level 23, and the word in question (準決勝, semifinal) has it, that would definitely make a worthy addition. In usefulness, it’s in fact a finalist compared for example to 球威 (pitcher’s stuff) on level 43, an expression rarely used even by hardcore Japanese baseball commentators.

best,
Jari

14 Likes

As someone who’s completely not into baseball, I can say I’ve seen this word at least 2 times outside my Anki deck.

I agree.

4 Likes

I still have no idea what pitchers stuff is and never thought about checking into it… As well as an umpire. I just learn the word and i doubt i will ever be in a situation where i have to use these words actively when i don’t even talk about sports in my main language… And who even plays/ watches baseball besides the americans and japanese? :thinking:

2 Likes

Mexico.

3 Likes

When I was still doing WaniKani, I thought 投手 is this:

mostly because back then the explanation didn’t make much sense to me and it was trying to be too funny :stuck_out_tongue: .

4 Likes

I still have no idea what “pitcher’s stuff” is and I have checked into it. It’s the vibe, ya know?

5 Likes

4 Likes

Baseball ball is really something – they throw it and then hit it with a bat, but it doesn’t care – all it cares about is keeping its ball prestige! trunky_rolling

P. S. Sorry for the offtop, couldn’t stop meowself trunky_rolling

1 Like

Pitcher’s stuff is the pitchers pitches (fastball, slider, curveball) and how hard they are to hit. A pitcher has a lot of stuff when they have a lot of movement in their curveball for example. When a pitcher only has a couple different pitches and they dont have much to them, they don’t have a lot of stuff. Stuff is something every ball player understands but is hard to define.

3 Likes

Plenty of countries.

But I mean… What else matters besides Japan when we’re talking about learning Japanese.

1 Like

Mexico.

4 Likes

Umpire is just a referee, I believe.

As someone who cares very little about sports, I’m not super excited at the prospect of getting even more sport vocab. I already care very little for the baseball stuff that I cheat my way through with undo scripts.

We rub once again against this core limitation of WK. As long as there’s no way to pick and choose what we learn, wanikani is unsuitable as a general purpose vocab tool.

1 Like

Considering that there are many people that have already completed all the levels your statement would then really mean “I am really not a fan of adding extra content to WaniKani”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

But, presumably, you are learning Japanese in order to talk to Japanese people or to consume Japanese material, in which case baseball (and some other sports) is a fairly common topic.

2 Likes

I ran into 準決勝 in Odd Taxi yesterday.

1 Like

I mean you can go to Japan just knowing
これ
それ
あれ
ください
ありがとう

But that doesn’t mean the rest of the language has no utility.

どうも
どうぞ
すみません

That’s all you need to know. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It’s that WaniKani doesn’t teach enough meanings for the Kanji. can mean semi. (More correctly, pre-, mock.)

Similarly, doesn’t necessarily mean semi. At least not in WaniKani vocabulary list 批准(ひじゅん), which more like, allowing, consent.

准 as semi needs vocabularies too, imo.

Hopefully, WaniKani seems more eager to add contents recently. They might be added soon.

Just in case @Mods

4 Likes

I think my first trip all I said was すみません and ありがとう.

3 Likes

That is 2 more words than me. My first visit to Japan was when I found out I was going about 24 hours before my flight departed. I happened to be the one that knew enough about the system to debug it, had a passport and said “sure, why not”.

1 Like