大気 pitch accent help

So, Prosody Tutor Suzuki-kun (http://www.gavo.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/ojad/phrasing/index) tells me it’s atamadaka, but when I listen to the speaker here on wanikani it seems pretty heiban to me. Since it’s automatically generated, I know that the site I linked sometimes it’s wrong, hence my doubts. Can someone tell me which one it is or where else can I go to confirm one or the other? Thanks!

2 Likes

Weblio lists it as atamadaka.

Sounds like atamadaka on the recording to me.

1 Like

Thank you to both! Guess I obviously still need to train my ear.

It does sound a little bit… “not neutral” if that makes any sense (it probably doesn’t)…

Like, as if someone was trying to call out to someone and get their attention, rather than just say it for a dictionary recording.

That’s a comment on the intonation of it, rather than the pitch. But it would still be different it if was actually heiban.

3 Likes

It is? I thought that the recordings on WK were all from natives, not generated :thinking:

The “it” in that sentence is about the pitch accent website they linked.

1 Like

Oh! Ok, I see. Thanks for clarifying :slight_smile:

I thought the same thing for a moment when I read it, too :slight_smile:

I edited the post to make it clearer.

A bit unrelated but wow this is the first time I discover a site that has the pitch accents. Is it as I understood in the 発音 section, the “た↘いき” ?
Also does it have an audio recording of the pronunciation ? (I didn’t come across one on the site so I’m asking).
Edit : I’m talking about Weblio

The easiest place to see the info is the number in the header at the top. 1 means it drops after the first mora.

1 Like

Yes, evidently it’s た↘いき. Other than from the 発音 section, you can already tell it from the number [1] beside the word at the top, which can be better explained with a little table ŽOÈ“°-‘厫—сAƒAƒNƒZƒ“ƒg‰ðà

2 Likes

Oh, thank you. Also if you don’t mind, what exactly is a “mora” ?

Ohhh, this is super useful. Thanks !

It’s the term for the unit that each kana character (or ligatured character, i.e. しゅ) represents. Since “syllable” is less clear in what it means. They basically occupy one “beat” in the rhythm of a Japanese word.

So あ, と, きゃ, and ん would all be 1 mora.
あと, しょう, いん would be 2 each

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.