Your WaniKani Level VS Your JLPT Level

Did you read these dictionaries linearly, like a book? Or do you read articles when you to learn about a specific topic?

• WaniKani Level: 60
  • JLPT Level: I’ve never taken it yet? :sunglasses:
  • Resources/Materials(Completed): knowing basic Chinese characters at the start… followed by self study with some weird textbook I don’t know the name of during highschool, skipped most of Genki 1 and during my last semester in college I look a class of 2nd semester Japanese class and did Genki 2, private tutor for 1hr/week for last 5(?) years translating light novels recently, went to Japanese Language School of Philadelphia for about 2 years and finished Genki 2 and some Tobira, Maggie-sensei for interesting grammar points. Anime, dramas, movies…
  • Your Next Goal: Refresh myself on grammar and maybe stop making excuses and take the JLPT for once.

If I’d have to judge myself, I’d probably consider myself somewhere in the N2 to N1 range. I mean I don’t feel too challenged unless I look at material at that level. Although I forget a lot of small details, like keigo, and can’t conjugate too well anymore because WK and life was eating so much of my attention.

I can handle relatively normal conversations although I’d like to get better at it. I’ve spent 4 vacations for more interactions. (Tokyo/Kyoto,Sapporo/Otaru,Tokyo/Gunma,Kyoto/Kurama) Recently 2 older ladies were chatting with me on the airplane, because they were interested in where I was from and initially where I had gotten a matcha snack. (711)

I’ve been getting into more movies lately starred by Arimura Kasumi, unbeknownst to me I ended up watching and liking many of her movies through the many long flights across the globe.

• WaniKani Level: 9
  • JLPT Level: I am not quite finished learning N5 vocab and grammar yet, but I think I am at a point where I could pass N5
  • Resources/Materials(Completed): Nothing completed, actively using WK, Bunpro, and Torii
  • Your Next Goal: Reaching level 10 on WK, Finishing up N5 grammar on Bunpro, Finishing up N5 vocab on Torii.
  • WaniKani Level: 16
  • JLPT Level: N1 (2013), maybe going to retake summer 2020?
  • Resources/Materials(Completed): I don’t know if I “completed” any. Maybe Shin Kanzen Master N2-N1 materials? The only one I have completed for sure is Step for kanken level 8 (as of yesterday!!).
  • Your Next Goal: Take kanken 7. Hopefully be able to take 6 or even 5 in the next year.
1 Like

Are you me? :smiley:

The only textbooks I’m doing at the moment are kanken-books and those mostly to do the drills and practice exact stroke directions and stuff. Anything I encounter in the wild (conversation/books/whatever) I check with dictionary/google and if possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like how you are drawing lines into these randomly distributed point graphs. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

2 Likes

Nah, there’s a noticeable correlation. It’s just very weak.

3 Likes

Okay…

WaniKani Level: 06
JPLT Level: Taking N5 this Dec.
Resources used: I took two semesters at a local junior college. Ended up knowing less than I should.
Using WK, rarely using Bunpro. ( I dun like it), Genki I - trying to go through it. I bought the work book. I’m not really motivated to learn this stuff, but I am piecing some of it together. USB CD Rom so I can use the audio cd. Meh.

Goal: Pass the N5. I figure that if I can get thru Genki 1, I should be okay.

Same. Life got in the way :confused: It was still an incredible experience!

• WaniKani Level: 15
  • JLPT Level: N5 (2011)
  • Resources/Materials(Completed): Took courses at the local adult education centre for 3 years (books: “Japanisch, bitte・日本語でどうぞ” 1+2, then “みんなの日本語” 2), Did the JLPT after the first two years and books with some additional material provided by the teacher for me (practise sheets and audio-files). I moved to another city later on and thus could not attend classes anymore. Never finished the みんなの日本語 2 book.
  • Your Next Goal: Finish WK, hopefully get a grasp on what’s going on in some japanese Manga I bought in 2009. Maybe find a new course to attend next year after I move back home.
1 Like
  • WaniKani Level: 1

• JLPT Level I don’t have any level at the moment but would like to have done my N3 by the end of 2020

• Resources/Materials(Completed): Currently still working through Wk and Duolingo and various other sources

• You next Goal: to complete Katakana and have to learn more Kanji :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just tongue in cheek comment. I appreciate if somebody takes the time to draw a graph.

Thanks for this recommendation, by the way. It’s been helpful so far! Besides the use of ろまじ, it employs very effective teaching methods.

• WaniKani Level: 11
  • JLPT Level: N4 ish, but im uncertified
  • Resources/Materials: wanikani (+kaniwani), genki 1, conversational partners, tae kim, duolingo, anki, a small handfull of games (mostly stardew) in japanese
  • Your Next Goal: go though genki 1 again, finish genki 2, finish vocab decks for both, actually write journal entries for once, maybe pick up tobira and a second textbook for more practice ?

No 能力試験 ambitions here. Just want to know more kanji for playing video games and reading manga. The vocabulary with the kanji is the best feature on WaniKani after teaching the kanji. I like getting real world context for the different use cases for similar words (場合、状況、状態、etc). Although I’m more interested in natural/daily Japanese than tests, I have recently begun listening to some 能力試験 聴解 just for fun.

I know I’m on a kanji learning site, so it’s great I can read, but having the audio play every time you hit vocab seriously helps (and subvocalising them every time myself). I just played through Shenmue without subtitles in Japanese voices and didn’t really have any issues at all and it has been a while since I played that game. I’d say quite a lot of my Japanese lately is about 50/50 listening/reading. The more vocabulary and kanji I learn, the more media I end up consuming. It’s pretty fun to notice as time goes on.

5 Likes

Btw, although it is spelled romaji in English, the o is actually a double vowel.
The correct spelling would be ローマ字 (ローマじ without the kanji).

10 Likes

WaniKani Level: 1
JLPT Level: N5 but have yet to take exam
Resources/Materials: An amino which had some Japanese lessons, genki, websites
My Next Goal: Finish Genki I by the end of this year, get to around wanikani lvl 10 by end of this month

• WaniKani Level: 42
  • JLPT Level: N3
  • Resources/Materials: Genki I & II, Try! N5-N3, Sou Matome N5-N3, various Anki decks (Core 10k, subs2srs decks which are great,…)
  • Your Next Goal: Finish Tobira, then move on to N2 specific preparation. Pass N2 in 2020. I feel a bit burned out about WaniKani right now so my only WK goal is to reach level 51 before July 2020 because this covers 100% of N2. There will be a lot of grammar and vocabulary to study before N2 so I don’t want to focus on WaniKani too much. I also think there is a high chance of failing N2 in July, I’ll just attempt it again in December then.
5 Likes

WaniKani level: 9
JLPT level: not tested, but I don’t think I have all the N5 grammar yet.
Resources used: I tried duolingo until the bird got on my nerves. I’m currently going through Genki II in my college Japanese class.
Goal: pass my Japanese class and make it through WK within 2 years

1 Like

I just picked up Try N3 recently. Can I ask, was there anything you didn’t like about it, and did you feel like you had to pick up a second N3 resource after finishing?