"Your name in Kanji" what?

My first volunteer hosts out here got this made for me as a leaving gift and were like “it’s your name in kanji!” and I just looked at it and thought “my name is 1 syllable, it can’t be two kanji” and “why did you pick Flowing Rain?”

(I know I sound very ungrateful but we’d had an ongoing tete-a-tete over a few things for a couple of weeks so it felt very strange to be getting a gift at all)

Many years ago I went to this huge trade fair in Frankfurt and this Japanese company that makes electric tenpanyaki griddles had a guy hand engraving engraving people’s names on little shuriken shaped key chains. I asked him for ル and he went “nah, nah, there’s a kanji that fits, it means lapis lazuli” and tapped out 琉

13 Likes

I think your host explained, but for others, 流雨 can be read るう. I guess that’s how the host heard your name.

11 Likes

Ah okay. Given that the full name I’m stealth adopting is Rumina, I think I’ll go for 琉皆. I like to think it can be read as “everyone’s a gem” (though I’m probably horribly mistaken and should just stick to ル or ルー or ルミナ)

4 Likes

My name is Blueberry/Berry/Strawberry (depending on whether you translate it from polish or another slavic language) Pear. Nice to meet you. XD
I changed my last name after marriage though, so it’s not Pear anymore.

10 Likes

Is it Peach now?

12 Likes

You kind of make me curious now… Does tete-a-tete mean something like an altercation in English?
Because in French, “tête-à-tête” is really nothing more than a private discussion between two people (literally meaning “head to head”).

I find 流雨 quite poetic, by the way :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I thought it was synonymous with “butting heads” but I could so easily be very wrong

But I’m still gonna use it cos language evolves YO

1 Like

My name is a common noun with a Japanese equivalent, so it translates over fairly easy, which while a cool fact I don’t think anyone would actually call me that.

1 Like

Sadly: no.

6 Likes

Potato???

8 Likes

Thankfully: No.

9 Likes

Would have been a magnificent name

8 Likes

Pineapple?!

6 Likes

… It’s more. Or still. Or yet.

Persimmon!

5 Likes

Pina Colada!

3 Likes

omg what if it’s Pumpkin

8 Likes

Now you’re just making me regret that it’s not. XD

7 Likes

Pidgeon!

1 Like

Hah, I was having the same confusion, and I speak English. Sitting here going “ok, you had good rapport… and so you didn’t expect a gift?”

Yeah, doesn’t even mean that in US English.

4 Likes