You know you’ve been WKing when

Common English words start looking just wrong. Today I looked at “down” for like a full minute thinking “that can’t be how its spelled…”

20 Likes

Of course not. It’s the eiyomi reading of 下.

21 Likes

After doing lessons, I hear people talking outside my office and it takes me a minute to realize it’s English… My brain has to change language modes… There are a lot that speak Spanish in my office too so sometimes I just blank stare until my brain catches up with my ears.

7 Likes

After my latest review session:

After one of my review sessions from my previous level:

16 Likes

I know I’ve been WKing when I use the Reviews Timeline to check what time it is :woman_facepalming:

27 Likes

When you’re closing old tabs and realize you had nine or so forum tabs open… oops :expressionless:

14 Likes

When instead of setting yourself up to level up tomorrow, you get 5 kanji wrong and offset your level up by 4 days and now it will be your slowest level instead of average.

8 Likes

When you see 50+ reviews ready to do on your dashboard, then realize the tab is old so you refresh and see this.

But you’re already there so you just wait those two minutes to do one review. ;-;

20 Likes

What kind of monster would let it sit there?

14 Likes

…you can’t remember an answer so you just go with こう and hope for the best.

37 Likes

Thanks for making me laugh!
I did that only once.

Better not to guess if you really have no idea since you’ll just reinforce the wrong reading (when it’s not こう) or get it right by accident (when it is こう). You’re here to learn after all. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The problem is that the review forces you to give an answer even if you can’t remember. There’s no “skip” button or similar to indicate that you don’t know. Might as well try something, and if it’s right you’ll remember much better. If it’s wrong, you’ll probably remember better which answer it is not.

3 Likes

From my experience, if it’s wrong you’ll often keep answering with the same wrong answer.

Besides, the “skip button” is typing あああ or something else that will never be a valid reading.

1 Like

I so do this! I mean I really do… Like, “Hmm, can’t quite remember this one… go with こうbecause there are sooooo many of them!” and I have been right quite a few times too.

3 Likes

When I can’t remember an answer at all, I always go with my old faithful: たこ.

Mmmmm delicious たこs…

4 Likes

This is so funny! Did you figure out the new password? I assume the IT guy is Japanese?

3 Likes

I did figure it out pretty easily… he just copied what he saw on my desktop background and put a few together. He isn’t Japanese but he is a pretty big anime guy and I think he’s into Naruto by the look of the jacket he always wears. I have told him about WaniKani so he may be on here… somewhere!

9 Likes

When the first thought I had when I saw this tweet was the kanji 館 (‘public building’ with the bear radical)!

27 Likes

Truly special WK moment

4 Likes