EDIT: Project has been called off. Thank you for your feedback!
WaniKani is a very long road. And when you’re in for the long game you want to be as comfortable as possible, as even the tiniest nuisance will build up over time. UserScripts tend to fix some of this issues, just not in a clean way. After installing my 14th User-Script (and having it break the rest) I thought: why not make mine?
What would be included on this plug-in? Everything to make the path between a fully burnt level 60 and you shorter: Many ideas that already exist on separate UserScripts and some ideas of my own, but on an all-inclusive, self-contained, and fully supported package. Be it Opera to Chrome, 2014 to 2020, the script will work. To name a few of the features I’ve in mind:
- No tacky visuals. Every single function will be blended seamlessly into the UI.
- Automatically pass to your next review if the answer is right. No more double enter!
- The ability to undo an incorrect review in case of a typo, so the SRS doesn’t mess up just because our fingers betray us.
- Added furigana to the example phrases to the kanji you don’t know yet. If you know the Kanji, no furigana!
- Kanji stroke order on both Lessons and Reviews. WaniKani does not support writing, but that does not we shouldn’t at least be aware of the general idea.
- On’Yomi writings in Katakana. WaniKani uses Hiragana only, and does not tell you whether it’s asking for a Kun’Yomi or On’Yomi reading.
- The ability to export Writing Practice sheets of the Kanji you already have on Guru+ levels on one click.
- The ability to review a pipe of burnt items.
- Tracking how much time has passed since you passed a level. No more guessing!
Who are you and why would you do this? I’m a graphic designer who loves learning Japanese. I specialized in User Interface and User Experience, so I’m not banging rocks here - I know what I’m doing. I do this because while WaniKani is an amazing tool, it certainly could use some improvement.
Will it cost? Undecided. It might be a pay-what-you-want model, have a “light” version for free or a full version - we just don’t know yet.
Thank you very much for reading all of this. I’m looking forward to your answers!
Would you be interested in this Plug-In?
- Yes, I am and would pay for it.
- Yes, but I wouldn’t pay for it.
- No. UserScripts work fine as they are.