Why you should not

I blame Fergus (as usual)

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your kind response and helpful words.
This topic got far more attention that I imagined and the reactions to it overwhelmed me,
that’s why I am not going to actively participate in this forum from now.

I might suggest, if there is still an interest to discuss on the timing of when to do reviews to open another topic to do so in order to shift away the focus from my very personal experience to something that can be applicable to other users without having to refer back to me every time.

9 Likes

I think that’s a good idea, don’t come here anymore, the only thing worse for mental health recovery than poor sleep is excessive stress. Focus on the good my friend. Speedy recovery.

3 Likes

Oh i call him “bonecrusher” now

1 Like

Just to be clear when I say don’t come here anymore I mean this thread, not the forums. Definitely keep coming back to the forums…

4 Likes

Thank you for clarifying :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

This is not the POLLs thread. Can I change the title so that it wouldn’t mislead people?

UPDATE: Well, I did anyway, because this is not the POLLs thread.

4 Likes

I’m going to second the OPs suggestion that people read Why We Sleep. He addresses the biphasic (2 4-hour periods) sleep schedule and there is very, very little evidence that this is how we’re “supposed” to sleep. It was a common practice in one part of the world at one point in time but that does not mean that is how people are naturally supposed to sleep.

The actual scientific evidence supports the idea that people (yes, even pre-industrial people) naturally sleep in one eight-ish hour block of sleep at night, with one 20-minute nap in the early afternoon. So really, places with a siesta culture are the ones who have it right.

2 Likes

OK, I feel as if there is a much nicer way of making all of the points you made here. If you did that, I might even agree with some of them. :wink:

@Mods

I would like to say sorry to people I have obviously offended in this topic which was not my intention.
It is a very triggering issue to me and I understand that being the case made my wording unnecessarily offensive.

Still I think that WaniKani is a brilliant tool to learn Kanji efficiently and I would like to continue using it in all its functionality even under these itchy circumstances if that is possible.

I would be very happy if anyone who does feel offended by what I wrote would address directly in how I can sufficiently apologize.

And if there is a possibility to close this topic I would not mind it.

9 Likes

Lol, I read this post almost two days ago and I thought ‘OK, interesting theory. I agree with some parts, disagree with other parts.’ and that was about it.

Two days later: mods, flags, etc.

Me: Wtf happened?.. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I thought we agreed not to come back…lol

2 Likes

It’s completely understandable :slight_smile: . Please, don’t worry too much about it. Some people will get offended, some won’t.

Hope you still decide to stick around and participate in some of the discussions on the forums :smiley: .

2 Likes

OP made a plea to consider that, whatever was said and done, and whatever opinions people have on the topic, they shared some very personal stuff here originally.

For regulars to now be messing with the title of the thread without OP’s consent like it’s the POLL thread or the Thread Derailing Thread doesn’t leave a good taste in my mouth, if I’m perfectly honest.

12 Likes

agreed. even If only to look at cute animal pics…

2 Likes

Well, it’s documented who made which edits, so we can assign blame adequately. :wink:

That’s kind of a joke. Obviously it wouldn’t be very constructive. I agree with what you said though.

3 Likes

I don’t think that’s a good idea as is outlined in this article: https://guzey.com/books/why-we-sleep/

Sleep is still a very poorly understood phenomenon and anyone claiming otherwise is highly irresponsible.

But even if there was a scientific consensus, it would still be necessary for everyone to find out what works best for them. Even is something is true for 99% of people, that still leaves 78 Million people who it doesn’t apply to.

So yeah, get to know yourself and understand that what is good/bad for you isn’t necessarily good/bad for someone else and vice versa.

10 Likes

Hello, if I may offer my two cents: I don’t think people have an issue with the concern you brought up (disrupting sleep to do reviews). What I think happened is that your proposed solution (have wanikani inaccessible during specific AM hours) was so outlandish to many that it entirely derailed the conversation from the initial concern you were trying to address.

Sharing your story online (and for someone else’s sake, at that) was a really brave thing to do. I’m really sorry you have had the experience that you did. Unfortunately, productivity culture has glamorized overworking and constantly pushing oneself to the limit. I hope you have a strong support system of friends and family you can turn to when things get rough :two_hearts:

And lastly, I can tell you were being sincere in your plea to help those who may be sabotaging sleep for kanji (I feel like this is where someone funnier than me would insert an appropriate kanji joke). It’s the internet – discussions get heated and words get exchanged, but then we log out and continue with our lives. You’re going to be okay :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I do agree to a certain part that the whole book is not scientifically accurate in all it’s claims.
Ans he does exaggerate sometimes, but the overall message is an important one.
The part of his book interesting to this discussion is how Non- REM and REM sleep (or sleep deprivation) affects memory. The studies explained there do sound convincing to me, also the part where he talks about the negative impact on waking children too early for school. I think that is an experience everyone can share who ever had a math’s class at 7 am as a teenager.

However his whole idea on how to implement his findings into daily life sounds like a dystopian nightmare to me. But technology keeps becoming more integrated into our daily life’s and through that we all become more and more transparent as our privacy is concerned. So maybe rather than fighting against that trend we should embrace it and make the most of it.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll be closing this thread now since it’s clearly run its course.

12 Likes