Why, Wanikani? [Yet another 金玉 thread]

Japanese balls called (まり)!

Some of them are gold colored, as you can see, so basically 金玉 too.

10 Likes

Hah! I learned that word yesterday when I was reading Night Market!

5 Likes

Exactly! I was on a bus ride to a weekend marathon event with my jogging circle and I was talking to some of the guys with my still very bad Japanese. Some guy told me about his favourite anime and it was (you might be already guessing it) 銀魂 (ぎんたま). I had never watched it (not being an anime guy) but I was excited to at least know what it is, so I enthusiastically exclaimed わ!金玉を知ている!And the whole bus died laughing and I had no idea what I did wrong because I didn’t realize that my pronunciation was off in just the wrong (or right) way and I didn’t know about 金玉 yet.

It’s a bit unfortunate that you never get taught about bad (or even just sexual words) in language classes.

13 Likes

I was just made aware by a Japanese friend, that they were probably laughing especially because the way I pronounce 金玉を知ている!makes it sound more like 金玉をしている!which apparently sounds like “I’m masturbating!”. Huh.

14 Likes

Should be 知っている :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Ah yeah, I’m still making that mistake. Thanks, I’ll get it into my thick head eventually I hope.

4 Likes

金太?まあ、どうしたの?

That’s an easy mistake to make :grin:

If it helps, this website is good for practicing conjugations: Japanese Projects | Steven Kraft

Ignore me if you’ve seen it before :+1:

3 Likes

(Reads the title without focusing on the kanji: oh this guy wrote about how useful wanikani is I suppose. maybe I can read the kanji, let me try, kin…tama? Kintama?? enters the post.)

5 Likes

I guess if there was something else in the title the meaning would change drastically:

Why, WaniKani? [Yet another paticles thread]

Why, WaniKani? [Yet another 頑張って thread]

Why, WaniKani? [Yet another 大丈夫 thread]

Welcome to the forums! Don’t forget the FAQ and Guide!

3 Likes

Thank you for welcoming me!

1 Like

Hot tip: you can edit a quote afterwards - it might be a good idea to quote the Welcome part instead.

1 Like

They always say だいじょうぶ
But they never ask わいじょうぶ

14 Likes

like this?

8 Likes

金玉ふくろう (a.k.a. Japan loves puns)

https://www.sip.or.jp/~kurita/fukurou-kin.htm

6 Likes

As it turns out, 金玉 is a very useful word to know if you watch Japanese pro wrestling. Thank you, WaniKani :blush:

7 Likes

I hadn’t realised how problematic 金玉 was until my other half and I used it in Japanese class. Our professor was doing a review on body parts and had simply asked us to name as many as we could remember. Of course, kintama was blurted out after the more obvious vocabulary had been said. The professor was mortified but then let it go since she knew how silly we could be. Though she did question what sorts of things we were learning on WK. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

10 Likes
6 Likes

If they really have balls, they would choose 玉 as the kanji character of 2022.

6 Likes