Why, Wanikani? [Yet another 金玉 thread]

That’s nuts!

19 Likes

So what if your co-workers see the word? Don’t be weak. Grow a pair of 金玉 and own it. Say “yeah it’s part of my learning course and the word is included, so what?” with a smile and accept that sometimes people are going to be judgmental.

By the way, I found this thread by trying to find out why the word 乱交 was removed. Damned puritans. The more words the better. But hey, if WaniKani’s policy is that any word someone might have a problem with should be removed then might as well remove 金玉 too. Let’s remove all the words for political parties and religion while we’re at it because those are sensitive topics.

12 Likes

I think exactly like you. Censure is pretty much always bad. Even if you censor all the bad words children will wtill learn them anyway.

6 Likes

Ah, but think about it from a business perspective: the inclusion of controversial topics would reduce censorship, which is good for the consumer. However, the inclusion of such content could alienate potential buyers, and even cause them to spread their negative opinions about the platform to other potential buyers. It makes more sense, economically, to remove them.

3 Likes

So, here this thread popped up again. It doesn’t even say the word being discussed in the topic. But I immediately recalled what it was about. And I recalled the word 金玉 (kanji and how to say it.) If it keeps popping up on the top of the thread list occasionally, it’ll get burned in my memory and I’ll never forget it! Almost like some sort of SRS. Some day, when I’m 90 years old, and can’t think of a single other Japanese word, there it’ll be. In case I need to know it. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

you’re welcome XD
I had no idea this thread would get so many comments!

2 Likes

That’s how the WK forums go. You can spend ages tenderly crafting and nurturing a thread about a relevant, useful topic that only gets about 50 posts.

And then you make a half-joke topic about 金玉 and get almost 200 posts including a nuanced, culturally informative discussion, children’s song lyrics, and a heated argument between members about work ethics

20 Likes

You hit the nail on the head! Thanks for noticing it was half-joking, I wasn’t sure I conveyed that properly XD

5 Likes

The proof is the poll threads. How many thread of poll thread is there? They are always thousands of answer on them for some reason ha ha.

7 Likes

Unless the forums die, the number of POLL threads will continually rise.

• To POLL, or to POLL. There is no try.
0 voters
1 Like

Woah I have never heard of that before. I study Japanese in my down time. They prefer me studying Japanese over playing on my phone when I don’t have classes and I finished preparations for the next classes. No one ever checks what Japanese I’m learning or even if I’m learning Japanese, but they certainly appreciate me trying to learn the language.

Not allowed to go home? Dang, when the clock chimes 4, my coworkers start saying goodbye and making sure I leave at a decent time…and I’ve worked at 3 different schools (one JHS, and 2 ES). Maybe for stricter JHS and SHS ALTs, but that’s certainly not everyone’s expereince.

Nothing to do? Depends on the school. ES usually has plenty for you to do. JHS, yeah I was often bored and had a lot of free time, but some JHS ALTs are busy. Dunno about SHS, but I suppose it depends on the school. I’m super busy at my base ES because I plan and prepare for all 6 grades of English classes. (My city teaches 1st and 2nd grade English once a week. All of Japan has 3rd and 4th English class once a week now and 5th and 6th grade is twice a week).

It really depends on your placement and schools. Being an ALT can be rewarding and it can be terrible, depending on who you talk to and where they are placed. It’s not all rainbows and butterflies, but it’s a good paying job.

Sorry for the long rant. I often talk shit about the job, but I have never heard of people being scrutinized or being forced to learn Japanese.

1 Like

Yeah, my experience is nothing like he says it should be either, but oh well.

1 Like

Indeed. I’ve never been an ALT. So, of course the people I meet are those that used to be ALTs and then quit, I guess that’s why I only get to hear the bad stories. Good to hear from you that another side exists.

Have a nice day Leebo! :smile: :+1:

1 Like

You forgot this part

Yeah, yeah

That’s right - “thank goodness” - it’s not the job for me!

But if you like it, that’s great!

I know you don’t like me Leebo, but you don’t need to keep picking fights you know. I don’t know about you, but I have so many better things to do.

Have a great day. Really, I mean it.

Well thanks to Wanikani I also learned about the Tanuki testicles :smiley:

1 Like

I know that I’m a little late to this thread, bit I just had to think of this picture.

3 Likes

Well; it did come up in this thread (thanks to you xD):joy: this is my word of the day

Actually, no! Anyone have any synonyms?!

4 Likes