Why is WaniKani worth using beyond lvl 15-20?

An internet forum post is not a source. Why do you think you can replace direct kanji study with sentences? How will you learn he rest of the kanji?

Reading is essential but in no way replaces direct study.

4 Likes

I couldn’t find the link, but I watched a video criticizing Anki and its 6000/10000 core vocab flashcards. The gist of it was that after 1000 core vocab the learner should switch to sentence-mining in their preferred topic. I believe Wanikani should also prioritize some 1000 vocab to allow the learner to cement Kanji by reading. Why else should we study Kanji?

They haven’t updated in a while I guess, I the numbers were wrong
But is the extra knowledge worth the time if I’m not simulataneously studying the context these words are used in? It’s like Japanese students studying English without context: “How do you spell ‘Aerated Peanut Butter’? What is it? I don’t know, just spell it.”

1 Like

First good response, thank you. I’ve taken the SRS and mnemonics for granted lol

This video by Cure Dolly wouldn’t happen to be the video you are talking about would it?

Good find on the error on their website. I’ll email WaniKani about the bug.

I don’t think I quite understand your point yet. By prioritize 1000 vocab do you mean cutting out the other 5000 vocab they teach? I’m fairly certain the “core 1000” you speak of already exists within the 6360 vocab, and its main purpose IS to cement the kanji you are learning in your brain, since all the vocab contain the kanji learned through WK. Correct my understanding if I’m not getting your point.

1 Like

I mean to say that without my mom (a native) I wouldn’t know the difference between æ­» and äșĄ. Not a perfect example obv, but you get my point.

If Wanikani is meant for studying Kanji, and as a result the vocab is taken out of context for simplicity (and therefore is of a lower quality) then shouldn’t the amount of vocab presented be lowered, or the quality increased?

As others have already written here, WK explicitly states that it is not meant to be used as a stand-alone resource; they expect you to learn the nuances of the language through reading once you are at a level to do so.

2 Likes

Well there are 3 context sentences at the bottom of each vocab card, so there is exposure to the context these words live in. Personally when that is not enough to differentiate between seemingly synonymous words (or kanji such as äșĄ and æ­») I look it up on jisho.org or ejje.weblio.jp.

Could you expand on how the quality can be increased?

1 Like

Wanikani offers to teach these things in 1-2 years. Is it not too much to assume that I could use the vocab outright? 歊ぶ、and è‡Șæ±ș offer context for example, but 侾、and 憆 don’t.

Wanikani is not good for studying vocab as the context for using it is generally not provided. These are not just my words: many here have said this.

This being the case, shouldn’t the amount of vocab be either lowered or improved by adding some context?
I didn’t come here for JLPT, but if I’m not even able to use it for that I am asking what I should use Wanikani for.

I guess the quantity of context-less vocab is a necessary evil then on the path to copious amounts of Kanji.

Nope, JLPT just seemed like a worthy goal if Wanikani shouldn’t be used for studying vocab. I was asking why I should bother using it once I’m able to absorb Kanji through my topic of interest.

links to 憆 and 侾 vocab cards with context sentences:

It sounds like you may have some misconceptions about the difference between kanji and vocab?
Kanji by themselves are not vocab words, and cannot be used by themselves in a sentence.
There ARE words that are made up of one single kanji, but this is not the case for every kanji.

EDIT: formatted in a way that doesn’t take up the whole page

6 Likes

Though many of the words are useful in conversation, WK claims to teach you to read Japanese text quickly.

4 Likes

A section saying “____ is commonly used formally/informally and in this topic and this topic would be a good start”

I think I know the difference between 電気 and 電抛, for example, but saying that the former describes power while the latter is more for describing a power source would be useful.

2 Likes

Alright, so shouldnt I start reading kanji as described here between lvl 15-20?What level can I start reading books? - #2 by AngelTenshi

No I understand the difference, I am just using those for examples. Context for Kanji would be useful too, but I think the issue is more for vocab.

I don’t mean to sound rude, but that’s what the context sentences are for. By reading the context sentences, you should be able to grasp the differences between those words and the different contexts that you would use each word in. If that isn’t enough then further research is necessary, but I disagree that WaniKani doesn’t provide this information already

2 Likes

All vocab words have context sentences to go along with them. I believe kanji cards also have a few examples of words that contain that kanji.

1 Like

It was Cure Dolly for sure, not sure if the video is right though.
Yeah basically. If the remaining 5000 provide less benefit then why not delay them while focusing on sentence-mining?

(bolding is mine) Not sure I understand that last bit – you only need to advance the kanji and radicals to unlock the next level, right? Or has something changed recently?

No an internet forum isn’t a source by academic standards, but I’m not writing an academic paper. Not to mention it’s the same Wanikani forum where high level users gave their advice.

It wouldn’t be my intention to cut out direct study, but rather to directly study kanji and vocab as they are being used.