Why doesn't reviews accept Katakana input?

Was drilling through some basic reviews, and accidentally had caps on for the 力 kanji, making りき come out as リキ, while I understand the different uses of Katakana and Hiragana, the words are still read the same so its peculiar and frustrating I got it wrong.

1 Like

Absolutely! This is unacceptable. We should sue them.

The Japanese Government, I mean. We’ll make them choose one alphabet and stick with it, the rascals!

I’v never tried it, but was it all in Katakana, or a mix?

I kind see how a mix of both alphabets can be considered wrong.

aM i RIGht??

@emucat From the OP, it sounds like full katakana.
Also, in a lot of resources (e.g. kanji dictionaries), on’yomi are written in katakana, which completely removes any problem in OP’s answer. At most, it could be a shake rather than a wrong (and maybe they were also looking for りょく rather than りき but both are valid readings)

This is not exactly what you’re asking for, but there is a script that will cause WK to ask for on’yomi readings in katakana, which is good for both katakana practice and remembering the difference:

1 Like

Your use of “words” here confuses things a bit. This was definitely the kanji (pink) review for 力 and not the vocab (purple) review for 力, right?

Not that you can enter katakana for vocab either, but just making sure this wasn’t a case where the right answer was actually ちから anyway.

1 Like

Well, technically speaking, one could consider the katakana version of a word that’s normally written in hiragana to be a sort of homophone error. While you’re quite right that it’s pronounced the same, the use of katakana is a cue that this is generally a loan word. Wanikani is quite strict in its Japanese inputs, so it’s nudging you to be culturally correct.

It’s funny because we technically have two alphabets as well with capital and lower case letters. xD

3 Likes

on’yomi are usually written in katakana though, that’s not wrong. it is on wk though, but that’s where that katakana script comes in.
using that, you also see instantly which reading wk expects, depending on which kana the input field shows. very useful.

That’s just a kanji dictionary convention. We don’t have to answer the English meanings with the stress accent indicated, or the line break markers.

And if you look at a dictionary, not a kanji dictionary, the words with onyomi aren’t going to be specially presented in katakana.

it’s useful nevertheless, and there’s a script for it.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.