Why 一 and 人 could be read as "hito"?

A question though, so the weed in seaweed and weed-wacker is not the same??
What’s weed-wacker?
I’m not an english native and that got me curious.

But despite that the % example help.

1 Like

Thank you everyone. That cleared a lot of things up. And only then I can be more relax with this japanese studying…

1 Like

This gadget for cutting weeds.

weedwacker

weedwacker2

4 Likes

Oh… I see…

1 Like

Noone seems to have addressed this, but:

ひと is also a kun’yomi for 人. Not an on’yomi.

4 Likes

Oh is it kun reading???

If that’s true I guess I mixed that up…

weeds

If you just say “weed” it sounds like you’re talking about marijuana.

7 Likes

Fixed it.

2 Likes

As always I’ve somehow thrown this thread into chaos while trying to help.

@sayasaya, lol I assume the weed is seaweed and weed-wacker are the same. I assume whoever named seaweed said, damn that’s a lot of crap floating there. This must be the weeds of the sea.

1 Like

You can poke holes into any language like that.

Take for instance “present” - without context, you wouldn’t know whether this refers to a gift, the presence of an object or the thing between past and future.

7 Likes

Oh I see. It need context at times.

Don’t forget 端 - edge or 梯 - ladder.
Just to make stuff more complicated…
@sayasaya: There are more languages where the same word in text means different things and you have to figure out by context.

A good way to look at it is that words that are kun’yomi are spoken words far before they’re written words, so the spoken words are adapted to kanji. So despite the different kanji used, the ひと words generally follow the same pattern. In fact, this can be seen even in English where “The person who committed the crime” can be replaced with “The one who committed the crime”.

But if you a G you’re a G G G. My name is Onika you can call me Nicki.

Echoing what other people have said. Kanji have meaning on their own, sure but they’re useless in isolation. You can’t just put a bunch of kanji together they need to form words.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.