What WaniKani tips would you give to yourself if you could travel back in time?

Pushing myself to read earlier. I used the excuse that my ability to recognize kanji and vocabulary wasn’t good enough to spend much time reading, which resulted in me putting reading off for too long. Just like most things, reading gets better with practice.

5 Likes

Don’t let your reviews pile up to 500+, because your future you will hate you and it will be a pain to go through so much reviews failing the most of them.

4 Likes

Through readiness and discipline we are masters of our fate.

1 Like

Same, but I find it kind of satisfying gradually gathering them all together ^^

1 Like

Wake up earlier to do the lessons. Enough with your 12h bad cycle. Waiting until 1/2 am to finish reviews is no fun.

1 Like

You have literally forever to learn all of wanikani if you keep just going back in time and repeating this same year with your new accumulated knowledge so be lazy

1 Like

@TamanegiNoKame advice is to avoid going after the bait of doing 3.5 day/levels in the 50-60 category.

2 Likes

Hey, I am still alive, arent I? And 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. are actually my friends…not my enemies…that is a lie

To use KaniWani alongside WaniKani as I levelled, instead of going “oh crap, I should probably use that” and having 8 levels worth of reviews.

9 Likes

Install the override and ultimate reorder scripts and totally ignore radicals from the beginning to save a lot of frustration

1 Like

Invest in bitcoin way earlier.

33 Likes

BitCoin and WaniKani are connected?

5 Likes

Don’t do too many lessons in a day, no matter how much of a “roll” you’re on or because of how “motivated” you are.
image Doing 200 lessons at once creates huge growths followed by long lines of nothing…
image Doing 25-30 lessons at a time creates less huge growths that are kinda consistent. Kinda.

8 Likes

Ohhh, those are some sexy graphs. Where’d you get them?

Also, what the hell. That’s a Quilava.

2 Likes

Google Docs.

My username plight is explained here: https://community.wanikani.com/t/story-behind-your-avatar/14732/191?u=yourlocalmudkip

1 Like

Thank you for the link!

I’m sure what you wrote could very much be a Haiku. Simple but effective.

Install all the user scripts.

2 Likes

Don’t. Burn. Yourself. Out.

You are going to end up stressing out and getting upset.

Edit: Vacation mode for three months~

1 Like

I’d tell my past self to go slower and don’t use WaniKani as your primary Japanese learning resource. I burned myself out so early into my time here that I ended up quitting Japanese altogether for close to 3/4 of a year. If I had my current mindset now that I had then I’d probably be around level 50 or higher by now. Don’t be me, take it slow, and more importantly put your primary Japanese learning efforts outside of WaniKani working on your vocab, grammar, listening, and all that other good stuff you need for learning this language.

2 Likes