What resources can I use to learn how to write Kanji?

Hey guys! So I am level 41 on wanikani and currently living in Japan. Due to having a lot of spare time and to reinforce my Kanji knowledge I want to try learning how to write. Also because I am interested in learning it :slight_smile: Do you guys have any suggestions on what resources would be good for me to learn it.

Are books like the RTK series or the Basic Kanji series good? Or is it not worth it for me? Apps? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Like

I use these:

But I got them for about 5 bucks a pop at a Half Price Books.

I’m a fan of the Kanji Study app (Android) (not free though, but worth it).
There are also online resources that can generate worksheets for you, indicating stroke order and/or traceable kanji.

https://henckq.nl/kanji/

1 Like

Thanks but I have an iPhone so wouldn’t be able to use sadly :frowning:

If you want an iOS app, I’ve used this before:

You can use it to drill and see stroke order. It’s a buck in-app purchase for the drawing practice.

@Leebo
Maybe you might be able to help out here?

Are we able to learn how to write with it too! Sounds like it would be great to use with my iPad!

Yeah, that’s the in-app purchase I mentioned. I’ve used it on my iPad with a stylus.

Honestly I would just recommend printing out some gridded paper and practicing writing them in the stroke order of the kanji you want to learn.

This seems to be a good site for that, though I haven’t used it personally.

(Seems like you’d prefer an app tho lol)

I didn’t use too many dedicated resources until I started studying for stuff like Kanken, which is probably overkill for what most people want to get out of writing.

I guess, the most basic resource I used a lot of was an app called KanjiLS, which is basically a collection of info on kanji that you can tailor to the way you want to use it.

3 Likes

A Surface Tablet with a Stylus or an iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil can work out pretty well for kanji writing (not saying to buy either solely for this purpose mind you). Plus it saves paper and can be more convenient for those of us that don’t have printers. :man_shrugging:

Personally, I haven’t really put much time into making my handwriting look nice yet (although I do write out each kanji in a notebook a few times when I just learn it to help me remember them), but one resource I have my eyes on for when I do get into that is this YouTube channel: 書道家 東宮たくみ Japanese Calligrapher Takumi. He has videos on more calligraphic writing, as well as ones on writing with a simple pen or pencil. From what I’ve watched, the videos seem to be well-filmed and clear to understand. He also has videos for writing hiragana and katakana, in case you want to brush up on those.
Here’s a playlist of his videos for writing the kanji that first year elementary students learn.

And one of the best things about this resource, is that it’s free! :smiley:

I have some code that generates books like this based on your Wanikani level. It’s a bit unpolished, which is why it’s not out in the public, but if OP (or anyone else) would like one made up for them, I can do them on request. Here’s a PDF I did for @beshikie that covers levels one to ten. The stroke orders are taken from the KanjiVG dataset.

2 Likes

I like this one! It’s a bit like the app I was using before, except self check in the tests and no srs, but it’s nice! I like that it’s not so cluttered as Kanji Study is. Plus, I was never able to get that one to work the way I wanted it to.

I was wondering, though, whether this one has the option for a more handwrity font?

I like this Anki deck, been using it for a several months. At about 700 cards in. I feel like it’s been a great boon for faster recognition and reading speed, especially for similar looking kanji.

Although I disabled the meaning keyword and created a new field with some words I know, where I replace the kanji with hiragana.

1 Like

I use sites like jisho.org to see the stroke order and try writing the characters.

I got a handheld digital notepad for practice so I don’t use too much paper.

I haven’t done much hand-writing. But I did find this article by Koichi to be a good starting point for understanding stroke order on a more general level, so as to not having to learn the stroke order for each kanji.

3 Likes

This was real helpful in knowing how the stroke order works! There is so much specificity when it comes to writing kanji!

1 Like

Had a look at this app and I liked it, I purchased a pen to go with my iPad to be able to use this :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah! Learning stroke order has been the major reason for why I have not practiced writing kanji by hand over the years. Well, that and the lack of situations when writing by hand would be how I communicate in Japanese. So, the usefulness of knowing is questionable.

But, I do wanna learn. So, when I found that article by Koichi, I was like :exploding_head: you can actually just learn the general rules and apply them?! へええええ!

Like he mentions at the end, there are exceptions, but unless you write kanji professionally, I don’t see much use in checking each kanji stroke order anymore - just use his rules and guestimate how it’s done, like a Japanese person would. It suddenly makes sense that you can actually learn to write all kanji by hand! :+1:

Because stroke order seemed impossible to remember for thousands of kanji! And it is! And you don’t need to learn each kanji separately once you apply those rules! Thank you @koichi さん!
:relieved:

1 Like