What level did you hit the wall?

I guess I’m just lucky that sleep isn’t that important to me, and I don’t exactly have fixed work hours. Every week I organize my schedule so I’ll have free time during the current level radical/kanji reviews.
It helps that I work at a computer for most of the day, so it isn’t hard to check wanikani almost every hour or so. This way I don’t let vocabulary and past level reviews pile up and get in the way of my level up time.
Even if I’m out and not at the computer, I can do reviews on my phone.
If the current level radical/kanji reviews happen during my sleeping time, I just have to set up an alarm for the correct time. If I can’t go back to sleep after that… Well, more free time for reading Japanese novels, studying grammar, and reviewing how to handwrite kanji.

1 Like

If you pace yourself, you’ll never hit the wall.

4 Likes

It used to take me 10-15 days per level, give or take, with a few exceptions (usually longer). That was until level 26, where suddenly I just had little drive to do lessons, and levels started taking about a month each. When I finally get to the final few vocab and think “YES, my lesson pile is nearly empty!”, a newly-guru’d kanji will suddenly increase my lessons from 20+ to a LOT, and I get demotivated again. :frowning_face: It’s a mix of burnout and other hobbies getting more attention; perhaps when my year (subscription) runs out I’ll take a break from WK. Learning most kanji up to about N3 was a fun hobby, but it’s no longer a priority to progress further.

4 Likes

Crabigator??

Well there’s this guy who skipped all vocab entirely. Not recommended IMO.

But yeah I don’t think most speedsters skip all vocab, but I’ve definitely seen plenty who have sacrificed vocab for leveling speed by being multiple levels behind on vocab (by using the reorder script). 7 day leveling also creates such a huge workload that you won’t really have time to learn other aspects of the language. For example for me I think I’ve started to hit diminishing returns in learning kanji and probably just doing more reading would be beneficial.

Never. I am perfect.

1 Like

Not sure what that has to do with anything. There are diminishing benefits because the kanji at those levels are less common.

2 Likes
Me being wrongThey are short levels, less kanji, less to learn. But yeah, probably not that relevant. I haven't been there yet :)
edit: nevermind ^^

The “fast” levels have fewer radicals, allowing you to level up twice as fast (if you want). But they have just as many kanji as the other levels. :wink:

4 Likes

Oh, good to know! I take everything back :smiley:

3 Likes

I hit a wall at level 13. It took me 15 days to get past it… I’m doing pretty good now though!

people usually do radicals first, then kanji, then vocabulary. it’s the best strategy if you want to level as fast as possible. it’s dangerous though if you’re in trouble because your accuracy is going down already.

the vocab you get initially is still tied to the kanji of the previous level. those kanji are still fresh (guru 1) and might be shaky for a number of reasons, so turning the leveling process on it’s head might actually be helpful:

vocabulary first, to reinforce the kanji you just learned.
then kanji, to reinforce the latest radicals.
lastly the new radicals, to move on.

radicals are the only completely new content in a level, with no value for previously learned material. they open the flood gates for more new items though.

this will double the progress time, but it will also double your time to practice the material before you see new things, it will eliminate the pressure from feeling the “need to level up”, and it will cut your workload in half. with better recall, reviews will also be easier, and higher accuracy will also help shortening the road.

there’s an argument to be made for maximum speed, too: your brain will retain a portion of new material anyways, so going through the course quickly will lead to a lot of learned and half-learned material (can repeat and learn it properly later) in a short time. there’s diminishing returns on accuracy, 80% is the breakpoint and easily attained. this is not only true for kanji studies (it’s called “pareto principle”). everything above that costs more time and energy per item.

however, learning only 80% of the kanji wk teaches will leave you with a lot of blanks and devalue the course greatly. if the goal is max recall, and time is no concern, then doing it thoroughly is the better way. it’s what i plan to do this time around.

1 Like

I’ve hit the wall about 5 times from at levels 27, 32, 37, 39, 42 and I got hit the wall again at level 50 for about 3 months haha. I had a lot of stages where my other responsibilities just overwhelmed me and I would try to come back to WK, but the sheer number of reviews (I recently finished a batch of 1100 reviews) would push me away and they’d never go down either because of how low my accuracy was.

I don’t know if I ever 100% overcame it, but reading text and finding kanji I couldn’t read was always a reminder for me to go back to WK. Especially as I got to higher levels, I felt like I wasn’t going to encounter these words/kanji as frequently anymore but surprisingly (unsurprisingly? haha) I often run into kanji I learn at level 45+ the very day after I do a lesson and it feeds me motivation to keep coming back.

3 Likes

Level 26. I went from my normal leisurely pace of 14 days up to 25 then it took 37 and 39 for the next two levels. But I ended up finishing level 28 strong and I’m back to my usual pace.

1 Like

I think I’ve been on level 53 for like six weeks, so … this one.

Just a combination of things all at once that led to me not being able to get to it regularly. Just crawled out of a 700-review hole.

1 Like

It takes me forever to level up. Honestly, makes me super frustrated most of the time, but I keep going on WK everyday. Eventually it sticks. It just takes a hell of a long time for that to happen.

3 Likes

So far, level 25. Part of it was a 2 week vacation, but it also ended up being a very stressful time for me. It’s more like I wouldn’t even do reviews for all that time so I just sat there. My reviews got as high as perhaps 400?

Came back strong with userscripts that make doing reviews much less stressful and time consuming. Now I’m going at a pretty decent pace! Though idk if this’ll be enough + my independent school and study time to get me to pass the N2 on Sunday …!

1 Like

maybe a couple speedbumps

listen… life is hard sometimes

4 Likes

Level 9. It got so bad I ended up resetting to level 7 after almost 4 months of ignoring WK completely, and go again - this time being able to burn off some items and shrink reviews. Back on level 8 now and hoping a slower and steadier approach will pay off

1 Like

Can’t say that I have yet, but, it’ll most likely happen down the road somewhere :expressionless: