What is the level distribution on here?

People who did have a monthly or annual subscription, but cancelled it (which basically means their progress has now stalled).

2 Likes

Ouh, I love graphs.
Where did you get the data?

You ROCK! :fist_right::fist_left:

19 Likes

@Kumirei I went on your spreadsheet and on it was an anonymous wolf :flushed:

3 Likes

might want to see if you can get the devs to offload some off the level 23 stuff on the easier levels, don’t want to lose those subs :pensive:

2 Likes

lol

1 Like

What I don’t understand about the original graphs is how are there “free” users at every level. Does this mean at one point in time all 60 levels were free? Also surprised to see that more people pay monthly than pay for a lifetime, seems like a lot of money wasted over time.

They had a monthly and yearly subscription then quit. They remain at the level they were, but can only access the free levels.

I agree that’s it’s a bit of a waste, but people like the incentive it gives them.

A non-sale lifetime subscription costs the same as thirty-three months at the monthly rate. Most people would expect to be finished by two years, probably.

(Sam Vimes’ Boots Theory of socio-economic unfairness may also be at play.)

9 Likes

Yeah, and by the time they realize it’s on sale it wouldn’t be worth the savings

Ahh I see, that makes sense.

Yeah I guess I can see how spending monthly is an incentive. My own personal thinking when paying for the lifetime was that I will commit myself to learning for life or as long as it takes to reach the end even if it’s slow going. Also when I saw the monthly plan I calculated how long it took me to get past level 3 and determined if I did a monthly plan that I’d pay a minimum of 4x more than the lifetime fee haha. So just based on that calculation I was like “I’m not paying 4x more when I could just pay a quarter of the price now”.

2 Likes

Not familiar with the theory, going to look it up now.

Yeah, I heard of some people on the forums complaining that they could hardly afford the service in their country.

1 Like

Yeah I see. Read the theory and it totally makes sense. Lots of people on here in different situations and different countries. With my teaching job in Japan this is only a fraction of a paycheck but for others (especially in other countries) they may have to save up all year to make this happen so it seems more feasible to pay installments and go hard at learning.

I should have known since I have friends in the Philippines and Brasil that complain about this type of factor.

2 Likes

From my perspective ability to withdraw anytime is more valuable than the discount. Besides, it’s worth to consider the future value of money. Keeping your money (and investing it) could be more beneficial than paying a discounted price right now.

And anyway the monthly amount is fairly small for an employed adult in a developed country, around a cost of a single meal at a restaurant.

3 Likes

In a lot of people’s cases, they can scrounge up 9 dollars a month, but can’t scrounge up enough for buying the subscription all at one time. Then at some point it feels like you’re too far in for the deals to be really worth it.

7 Likes

@cpitman and @Kumirei, can I steal your graphics and add them to the guide? I’ll give credits of course :ok_hand:

A lifetime without discount is half of the minimum (monthly) wage in Portugal. This is the reality on a lot of other European countries… and this is Europe we’re talking about. So yeah :grimacing:

6 Likes

Go ahead! If you want to make your own (nicer) graphs, you can grab the data from the spreadsheet.

I am currently collecting data for @ctmf’s request, if you’re interested in that as well.
It’s going to take a good while, though, since I have to query Discourse for every single user

6 Likes
hmm.
  • data collection for tens of thousands users…
  • ddos on discourse servers few hours ago…

coincidence? :sweat_smile:

7 Likes
HMM

Actually, yes :grin:

5 Likes