What is the level distribution on here?

Interesting. I would have assumed that much more people quit before lvl 10.

According to this, if I reach lvl 30 I should have a good chance to make it all the way through 60.

1 Like

That’s true, but initially I hadn’t remembered that at say, 15, you still have to make 45 more of those ~95% cuts. That’s got to add up. (and I’m too lazy to multiply it out, only to show what the other graphs already did :smiley:)

Still, people talk about the level 15 curse, and I’m not seeing any unusual anomaly there.

2 Likes

0.9545 = 0.09944 = 9.944%

And eyeballing the “Percentage of Users Reaching Level” graph, it looks like 20% at level 15 and 2% at level 60, so yeah… 10% of 20% = 2%.

QED.

12 Likes

It doesn’t drop you back down anymore if you stop paying

2 Likes

visceral flashbacks to the second time I failed statistics in college

The graphs are interesting though! I like the idea that now that I’m past level 30 I’m well on my way to the end of this whole thing.

3 Likes

Wow! Good to know I just passed one of the “hardest” levels. It was a bit tough with the similar kanji like “judge” and “law-rule”. Thanks for the info kumirei, the old one that people kept posting wasn’t too useful tbh

5 Likes

Well, after level 15, it appears that less than 20% of users continue to reach the next level.

Edit: Belthazar answered this much more eloquently. Please see their post. ^
:slight_smile:

I think you’ve misinterpreted the graph - 20% of all users reach level 15, so of course less than 20% will continue past 15, since some stop at 15 and there can’t be more past 15 than there are at 15.

Looks like about 93% of people who make it to level 15 continue past there.

Unless I am the one who has misinterpreted your comment, lol.

Yes, that’s all I meant: less than 20% continue on.

What I mean is, I’m not seeing any sudden surge in people dropping out right around that spot. It’s consistent with expected. I mean, why ‘level 15’ curse and not 14, or 16, or 20?

3 Likes

A course is built on believes not facts?
:relaxed:

1 Like

Well i know level 15 is going to be difficult now

1 Like

I was gunna say ‘nah level 15 is not too bad at all’ but then realised still on level 14 vocab haha.

7 Likes

I’m actually a little surprised by that distribution. I would have expected a drastic drop from lvl 1 -4 (which we do see) but then I would have expected the next few levels to have a bit of a bulge. The fact people have paid money after a trial period should mean these people have a little motivation (both study wise and financially), as a result I would expect a bulge at 7 or 8.

I guess I have too much faith in people.

7 Likes

I forgot :cry: I was even looking at a thread by a free level 58 just a couple of days ago…

To be fair, during my exchange in japan I felt using wanikani was more beneficial because I was surrounded by the kanjis all the time. The new ones I learned made my able to read more about eg. the bath information on sento which in turn made me more motivated to learn more or to be able to read the whole damn thing.

Therefore just being surrounded by them can help you remember them. Even if you’re not able to read all of them it’ll still remind you of “oh, this kanji exists”. So I definitely think being surrounded by kanjis is super beneficial even if you are not actively learning them!

Of course if you have 0 knowledge then it is useless.

6 Likes

Could just use paypal

Ah, yes. Good ol’ level 5.

I learned a TON of kanji just by seeing it around in context and just gradually building on a foundation of things I figured out. When I use WaniKani, about 2/3 of it is stuff I already figured out, and then there’s the 1/3 that I need to learn.

Kanji has enough logic and recognizable patterns to it that you can figure it out intuitively a lot of the time, at least in my experience. I kinda just learned most of it the same way I learned to read English. But for me, trying to figure out kanji every day without studying it yet was really fun. I think most people prefer to ignore kanji they don’t know yet and then try to catch up and study so they can hurry and understand everything around them.

1 Like

It may be a silly question, but… “Paid” and “lifetime” terms are ok, but what does “free” mean? People who drop out?

2 Likes