What do your study notes look like?

@tc167 Those grammar notes were so satisfying to read and so nicely organised!

I prefer hand written notes myself, but often find thinking how best to organise grammar points takes up half of my allocated study time. :joy:

I also take a long time just on deciding which notebooks and stationery to buy! (Regarding the notebook on the left, I find the spine on the reverse side of those pages quite uncomfortable when you get to the edge.)

@SemilunarLiri Definitely not a waste of a post! Note taking doesn’t work for everyone, right? In any case, it seems like you’ve got a good thing going with your benchmarks :smile_cat: I like your kind of cynical way of writing too, I kept thinking “yup, I feel you bud” haha it was weirdly comforting to read.

@Hamigakiko Good luck for the the N4!

@LThorburn Thanks for sharing! Your notes look so professional! :smile_cat: Would it be okay to use your verb conjugation notes as a reference? I really like the way their organised.

@Jody Thanks :smile_cat: Haha I’ve been there. Figuring out how to lay stuff out was very trial and error for me, I still think I could do a better job with it…
Ah, yeah you’re right, it does get a bit awkward when the spine’s on the right. I got this notebook for free though so I’m fine with it (wouldn’t recommend it though lol).

My study sessions usually end up being split up into a few camps:

• Vocabulary and grammar review (WK and げんき)
  • Listening study (YouTubers, げんき tracks, anime, etc.)
  • Writing study, which basically just means I scrawl questions and answers I have on legal pads as I study new material.

Overall, my note-taking is pretty minimal. I rely on mnemonics, repetition, and booze to remember everything.

1 Like

Wait… so booze was the answer all along?

1 Like

@tc167 Of course! I’m glad someone else can get use out of them :slight_smile:

1 Like

@LThorburn Thanks so much!

Is this supposed to be 頭がいい

I don’t think that’s a kanji that exists, though it looks like the reverse of 短 (short)

1 Like

Never took any :stuck_out_tongue:

well, they’re usually covered in stuff like this XD

4 Likes

@Leebo Oh! :scream_cat:
Thanks for spotting that!
Yeah it was supposed to be 頭がいい lol oops I didn’t even notice

@mrsaturn Seems like your doing fine without them :smile_cat:

@Qoroite A bear! :bear: The doodles are my favorite part of looking at other peoples’ notes.

That’s some eagle-eyed perusing, Leebo!

Like this. I don’t even know why pens exist these days to be honest. All i have are bookmarks on browser.

Imgur

2 Likes

I have started to use Onenote a bit since this post gave me lots of inspirations to how I want to keep my studynotes organized (Thank you so much for that by the way). As it is now all my notes are just so unorganaized, and something like this would help me out so much when I’m learning new grammar, and going throug genki 1 etc.

Just a question though, how do you put headers on the top like that “Grammar, Kanji, Verbs” etc. Would love to have it like that so I can write different topics under different headers for easier access :slight_smile:

I am going to use the OneNote lingo for this, haha. For each of your Notebooks, you can add Sections at the top. That’s what you’re looking for and you just click the little plus sign across the top to add new Sections. In each section you can add Pages, these go down the left side. Hope this helps!

Ah yes! I didn’t find it at first, since there was no + sign there like in your screenshot. Mine looked so different from yours so thought I was doing something wrong. Added the first available sidenote though, and it placed itself on the top and I can now add more with the + sign there, thanks a lot!

Can’t wait to put up my notes in this now, will make everything so much easier to keep track off!
Once again, thanks a lot for sharing this.

Is OneNote a part of OneDrive etc, as well? Or will it save on your google account?

I had to google that for you, yes, it looks like OneNote and OneDrive are a family. I have it on my PC and tablet, I don’t have to worry about syncing of course.

1 Like

That’s neat! Well will surely take a bit of time to get used to everything (Just like you wrote in your blogpost) but for me it will totally be worth it! Making things organized in notebooks has never been a strong-suit of mine :slight_smile:

Feeling excited to get back into studying Genki today :slight_smile:

Sorry to be a nuisance, but how did you handle Japanese input for OneNote? Can’t seem to use the google IME while using it :confused:

Hmmm… I can use both google and microsoft IME with it. Are you using your PC? I remember it taking me some time to enable it on my Samsung tablet…

Take a look at this guide on Tofugu?

Hmm… Yeah I already have the Google IME installed, but I can’t choose the hiragana or katakana keyboard when It’s activated and Onenote is the current window. Might it be that the font won’t work?