What do you recommend I need to complement WaniKani?

I’m only level 3 but I have decided I will subscribe to WK when I’ll reach the end of the level. As I understand it, the only thing the website ever teach is Kanji and some Vocabulary.

I think I understand that I will need to learn grammar elsewhere and maybe other things as well? It is the first time I learn a language (except my main language and some English but this came naturally because I live in a bilingual area) so I would really appreciate help on where to go (I know there is a lot of resources compilation but they are so vast I don’t know what is the most important in the beginning).

As I see from the forum the recommended grammar tools are TextFugu, Genki books and Tae Kim. Do you recommend all of them in this order? Is this all I need in the future? Except of course reading and hearing as much as possible in a year or so but I am just eager to do these so it won’t be a problem I think unless I lose motivation.

Like I said I know I am still a newbie now and the recommended level is around 10. Please share some advice it would be appreciated. Thank you

3 Likes

You’ll get all sorts of different recommendations, so before people give you all those, I just want to say that there is no reason you shouldn’t start grammar now, as opposed to at level 10. The fact that you even know some vocab and kanji from WK gives you more than enough to start learning grammar. Any good grammar resource will teach you the words they use, so you don’t have to worry about building a foundation first.

In fact, many textbooks will assume you don’t even know kana to start off with.

5 Likes

I found Tae Kim’s guide the easiest for learning grammar :smiley:
Bunpro.jp is great too (Basically Wanikani for grammar)
There isn’t really a good place to “start” Most grammar sites will start teaching the same grammar (particles, past tense, etc.) And After that they may handle different topics. My suggestion is to look at as many as you can in order to understand the material. Everyone is different, so looking at different sites, books, and teaching methods will help you learn which is the best for you :slight_smile:
As for the level ten thing… I started learning grammar when I only knew hiragana, so it’s probably fine! As long as you have a dictionary or website to look up the vocab.

2 Likes

TextFugu is no longer being developed (EtoEto is supposed to replace it, but I had a look this past week and there doesn’t seem to have been any work done on it since Dec. last year - perhaps they are too busy working on WaniKani mnemonic updates??), so they are no longer accepting subscriptions - you can only access the first ‘chapter’.

I reset my level recently, and will be going slower with WK so that I can also do the other studies you mentioned; I personally will be using both Genki and Tae Kim (as well as an older set of textbooks) concurrently to work on grammar, as well as a set of graded readers with audio to work on reading and listening. In addition, I will be doing some writing practice (kanji study book and keeping a Japanese diary - very basic sentences at the moment!). I also have access to NHK news and watch that most days even though I haven’t got a clue what some of the stories are about…

Bienvenue et bonne chance!

4 Likes

I don’t know Textfugu, but Tae Kim and Genki are both materials out to teach you the same thing. You only really need one. Personally, my preference is Genki, but YMMV. I recommend trying both, and sticking with one.

In my opinion, there are three main areas you need to hit if you really want to be mastering Japanese on all fronts:

1. Grammar
  2. Kanji
  3. Listening/Speaking

As a side note, if you don’t have the time or energy to hit all of these at once, don’t stress out too much about it. You’re still making progress if you focus on one or two, you’ll just be lopsided in your skillset until you put in the time on the other(s). That said, if you do tackle all three at once, you’ll find that the things you’re learning reinforce each other, and you’ll be learning faster than if you were to do them sequentially.

So, Grammar, Kanji, and Listening/Speaking. You’ve got Kanji covered right here with WaniKani. Your other big options would be Heisig’s Remember the Kanji or an Anki deck full of Kanji to learn. The benefits of these methods are mostly that you can go a lot faster if you have the time or talent. Unless you’re looking to put in more than two hours a day, or have a real knack for learning languages, WaniKani is probably fast enough for you.

Grammar’s mostly been covered. There are a handful of very popular books that will get you through the basics of grammar. It’s a little more wild once you get to the equivalent of finishing Genki 2, but that’s a topic for another day. Bunpro is also a popular choice, but I’m honestly not a huge fan of it. SRS works great for Kanji and Vocab, but I feel like you’re learning the example sentences more than anything else at a certain point when you try to learn grammar with it.

And of course, even if you get to the point where you can competently sit down with a japanese novel and read it, you won’t be able to speak much at all if no Japanese ever comes out of your mouth while you learn. Listening’s much the same way. Until you can effectively have japanese conversations for practice, you’ll want some way of training. The best way, in my opinion, to cover this is to take actual in-person classes. Due to time or budgetary constraints, that might not be an option, though. You could try checking your library for audio lessons like Ultimate Pimsleur’s Japanese (A personal favorite. Expensive, but pretty commonly available through public means). There’s also audio to go along with the exercises in Genki, and I’d assume other grammar books.

Of course, I’m far from a perfect guide, so make sure to keep looking for more advice and options I may not have considered. Hopefully this is a helpful start, though!

6 Likes

Tae Kim was boring for me but it had a lot of good information. I enjoyed Japanese the manga way much more. Really, I had to try a bunch of different sources to see which one would work for me so I imagine it’s going to be the same for you.

What I ended up settling with is bunpro, and it’s been really useful so far as I find it easier to memorize the grammar points through that. But yeah, definitely start grammar as soon as you can.

Also, install rikaichan (or any other similar extension) on your browser.

2 Likes

Thank you for this detailed reply! I will try both Genki and Tae Kim, I was not aware they were both teaching the same thing. For Kanji, I think I will stick with WaniKani since I love the system for now and I can’t really put more than 3 hours top per day. I will definitely check out the audio lessons and I will see if an in-person class is possible but it probably isn’t with my schedule. Thank you.

I will check out bunpro, thank you. Also very good idea with the browser extension, way better than copy pasting everything to Jisho.

I will definitely do that then, good to know, thank you.

1 Like

Merci beaucoup! I didn’t know about TextFugu, but I’ll try using both Genki and Tae Kim if I have enough time. I do writing practice of the Kana and some basic Kanji as of now but I have been told it is not a priority. Are you using Pimsleur’s audio lessons or is it something else?

I definitely agree with all the suggestions for grammar above. If you’re time-strapped I like bunpro, as others suggested. I like the bite-size lessons and very helpful links to additional online resources.

Another one I really like is Human Japanese. My understanding is it’s similar in content to Genki/Tae Kim and it covers a lot of the grammar basics in a very friendly way. It’s a paid PC app but there are also two phone apps for a bit cheaper on Android/iOS.

Imabi is also a really cool site with really in-depth and extensive grammar explanations.

Lastly, not sure if anyone mentioned it, but since you’re early in your WK studies, definitely look at doing KaniWani as well. It’s a free site that uses your WK API key to give you reverse lessons: it gives you the English and prompts you for the Japanese. I’ve found that this really helps cement things when I do it alongside WK. I recommend staggering the KaniWani reviews by a few hours so you aren’t “cheating” by having just done the same reviews in WK. :hatching_chick:

2 Likes

You’re my hero!

1 Like

Came here to recommend Human Japanese which gets relatively little love. It covers grammar points in clear, accessible ways and tends to be pretty concise (I personally just glossed over the vocab-focused chapters in favor of hitting all the grammar points). Genki and Tae Kim, in contrast, make me want to snooze. HJ is great for getting a general idea of Japanese syntax before jumping into the arena of true learning, ie, actually reading things.

2 Likes

I’ll check out Human Japanese. Also Thank you about KaniWani, I just tried it out and it looks awesome!

No, I’m not - just the audio files for the graded readers and watching the Japanese news at the moment. I will expand on my listening as I progress and may try Pimsleur’s if it is available at my library. Some people use iTalki to have a native Japanese conversation partner or a paid teacher online, which I may also consider (I think it would be a waste of money until my grammar improves).

1 Like

:blush:

I’ve just reset from level 17 at the beginning of last week, so I already have many months of experience of doing WK (and not really doing anything else to support it) and I have also had the chance to read a lot of the information and recommendations that the kind people on this forum have offered, so I am better able to organise myself this time around. I also finally figured out how to use that MS OneNote thing that has been on my computer since I bought it so I’ve been able to put everything (study plans, audio files, PDF of Tae Kim, etc.) all in one ‘place’ which I can access from any of my devices.

If you have the money, try Rocket Languages, Japanese. It is a fun program that includes speaking, reading, writing, grammar, vocabulary, the whole bit. The first three lessons are free, so you can try it out first. I have learned so much so fast. I like the fact that you can learn quickly, especially speaking. RocketLanguages.com.

I’ve been learning grammar using the free LingoDeer app. It has the advantage of combining grammar education with listening practice. With a set of noise-cancelling headphones, I turn my morning train commute into productive study time.

2 Likes

Bunpro is not a place to learn grammar but rather to practice exercises. The Human Japanese app worked well for me but kanji appears only at the intermediate one. The genki books are the best resource I know, genki 1 starts slow but speeds up after chapter 3.

3 Likes

Ok I think I found the audio and books you are using. They are very pricey from what I can see. http://a.co/5iEmClb