What do you guys use to practice listening?

uhh… minecraft… le… t’s plays… please dont tell anyone… but i actually kinda like this…

2 Likes

Thanks for the Udemy rec. They’re actually having a sale right now, so picked up N5 and N4 courses to give it go.

Do they have Japanese let’s plays? Or do you watch English ones with Japanese subtitles?

Um… yes… Japanese people play video games and talk and upload those videos to streaming sites. Did that seem like it would be unlikely to you?

I didn’t mean to sound like I was insulting them by saying they never did let’s plays or anything. I was more saying that it never even crossed my mind. And when I’ve searched for Minecraft let’s plays they’ve never come up in the results for me, so again, it was something that never came to mind. I’m sorry if that came out wrong, but I’m generally curious at to what recommendations there are.

Did you try searching for マインクラフト? Seems like there’s a lot from a quick glance.

It’s called 実況プレイ(じっきょうプレイ) in Japanese if you want to search for them yourself. I’ve been using it pretty much from the start, off and on, to practice listening in an enjoyable way, since (depending on the game) it’s likely to be entertaining regardless of how much or little I can understand. In the beginning I would only understand stray words here and there, now I can at least mostly get the gist of what’s being talked about. It’s pretty nice how each time I watch I pick up something new :slight_smile:

I also wrote a wk-alike webapp in php to practice only the listening part of the core6k vocab and context sentences.

BlockquoteIt’s called 実況プレイ(じっきょうプレイ) in Japanese if you want to search for them yourself. I’ve been using it pretty much from the start, off and on, to practice listening in an enjoyable way, since (depending on the game) it’s likely to be entertaining regardless of how much or little I can understand. In the beginning I would only understand stray words here and there, now I can at least mostly get the gist of what’s being talked about. It’s pretty nice how each time I watch I pick up something new :slight_smile:

Thank you! I’ll look some of them up now! Do you watch with or without subtitles? I think I need subtitles to start to learn the minecraft words in Japanese. I’m excited, though. Thank you for sharing! :smiley:

It’s very uncommon for them to have subtitles (as in, I’ve only ever seen two that had them). They’re made with the assumption that the people watching will be Japanese after all :slight_smile:

However, when I started, I was excited to just understand one or two words per video, and just built from there :slight_smile:

I highly recommend checking out Benjiro on YouTube. He’s a teacher on iTalki, but he actually has a series where he essentially purchases sessions with other iTalki teachers and they have a conversation for an hour using simple Japanese. There’s around 20 hours of listening content on his channel and it’s honestly the most approachable long form listening practice I’ve come across as a beginner myself.

I would also recommend checking out “NHK For School.” It’s meant for Japanese children, but it’s a great resource. It has a whole lot of videos on various topics separated by grade level.

3 Likes

This may seem like an odd recommendation, but for beginners I actually recommend watching popular Japanese TV dramas with subtitles. This is based purely on my own personal experience over the years. You may not understand many of the spoken words at all, but the episodes tend to be very entertaining (which is important) and you subtly learn the rhythms, patterns, and manner of speech for Japanese people, which is actually quite helpful beyond just understanding vocabulary.

This created a huge turning point for my ability to understand Japanese speech. After watching these (very entertaining) shows for a while, my ability to parse Japanese speech increased dramatically. To give an example, native Japanese speech used to be an incoherent jumble of sounds in spite of my studies. After spending time watching these shows, I suddenly started being able to understand the structure of spoken sentences, which means I could start picking out words and phrases, even if I didn’t understand what they actually meant.

I haven’t really tried watching anime so much. We do have some children’s anime movies, but I personally recommend drama series over anime because there is something about observing (semi-)real human interaction that aids in the learning process. Perhaps it’s some innate thing. For what it’s worth (and I may be dating myself), two of my favorite series were Hana Yori Dango and Gokusen. You should be able to find these and other good ones on YouTube these days.

3 Likes

Do you recommend English or Japanese subtitles? Or does that depend on your level?

English subtitles. That way you can understand and follow along with the story. It may also help confirm whether you’re correctly understanding certain words that you hear.

Never heard of that Benjiro thing. It’s good. Thanks for the recommendation!

You may want to check out Supernative and FluentU.

probably to the best way, and specially for a beginner (like me) but i watch a lot of anime. and ever since i strated to learn japanese i am picking up more and more words every week

This is a great one… they seem to stick to one topic, so it becomes easier to follow than a lot of other ones I’ve tried.

1 Like

Ha! I used to attempt to listen to this, but I’d honestly rather jab a fork into my eye than listen to these folks yammering on about nothing in particular. They interject to much non-factual opinion and don’t do their homework. Too much straying from the main topic and not enough relating the English and Japanese back and forth. The format is a great idea, but executed very annoyingly.

I’m starting to see what you mean. I just picked it up for the first time a fortnight ago. I still think it’s good practice, but it does seem like a really missed opportunity. The guy is just ridiculous. My favourite recent quote was when he said something (some building maybe) was, “all Edwardian style, like something from Victorian times.” While I’d hate to sit next to him at dinner, though, it’s quite good for a podcast as it keeps you listening.

It can get very annoying when the girl starts speaking English, too. Especially as she sounds sooo dumb when she does so. Also, I’ve never heard the guy do the reverse which creates some sections where you realise you’ve been listening for several minutes and no one’s said anything in Japanese.

I’ll keep listening, I think, but hiiki biiki is far better - if anyone’s looking for one to try.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.