What are some vocabulary everyone should know that isn't taught here in WK?

I think you’re confusing “wise” with “optimal”. If you expect to be doing 100% top efficiency at all times then I have some news for you… No matter how good a method is, eventually diminishing return will start to set in. It’s good to mix it up regardless whether or not method B is the most efficient one. Learning a language is a very long-term process and you won’t lose much as long as you’re learning something, anything. Say for example you just spend an hour reading meanings of random complex kanji. Nothing might stick except for the fact that “hey, these kanji with this squiggly bit on top seem to have meanings that somehow relate to colonoscopy”, you still learned something and it was worth it.

If it’s between Drilling vocabs/grammar vs. Immersion and learning from context (e.g. reading), I’d say that the more of a beginner you are, the more you have to drill.

Hurried to reading is like finishing Tae Kim without drilling it (e.g. in Anki), and is more likely to fail.

At least, drill some vocab first; and I find WaniKani’s intervals of 4-hour, 8-hour to be effective.

Of course, once you have drilled too much, there is diminishing returns; and immersion is more effective.

2 Likes

@DamirH
I’m sorry, if I mixed them up. I just try to find the best way for me.

@polv
Thank you for this information.

So for a beginner drilling in a core deck is a good idea even if they lull you into a false sense of security?

No apologies needed, I didn’t mean anything bad, just trying to help illustrate the point that no matter what you learn, it’s good. Hypothetically speaking, let’s say there are a 100 things to learn in a language before you’re fluent (yes, yes, I know, stupid example). Whether you learn them in order 1 - 2 - 3 - 4, or 1 - 94 - 92 - 4 - 23 etc. matter little in the end since you will have to learn them all one way or another. No knowledge is bad knowledge no matter how you obtain it.

1 Like

Train Station Vocabulary

• 改札口 (かいさつぐち) - Ticket Barrier
  • 券売機 (けんばいき) - Ticket Machine
  • 公衆電話(こうしゅうでんわ) - Payphone

Most major train stations will use English / Kana anyway but these words might be useful for travellers.

Bonus:

• 遺失物取り扱い所 (いしつぶつとりあつかい) - Lost and found office
1 Like

I don’t know how beginner you are, but there is no way I would be able to read nhkeasy even with a dictionary right now. I am still learning basic grammar alongside WK and some core vocab. I am still having to look up grammar for the sample sentences in the core10k deck.

I kind of feel like a lot of people here have started WK after studying Japanese for at least some amount of time and kind of forgot what it’s like to be a beginner at almost 0% knowledge.

2 Likes

For now, I feel I should rather recommend a vocab deck by textbook…, rather than just a Core deck: https://community.wanikani.com/t/genki-anki-wanikani-template-ver-2-6/11638

Genki textbook. Vocab is better learnt when you learn multiple dimensions at the same time. For non-kanji vocab, EN->JP reading and usage/grammar drill (which is in the textbook.)

There is also Tobira vocab in https://community.wanikani.com/t/some-supplemental-material/8121, which I planned to do later. Thing is, I have already bought both Genki 2 and Tobira.

What I have always been doing for Kanji-related vocab is EN->JP reading and JP seeing->EN, which works quite well. I totally relied on WaniKani for lower levels.

I started doing Core 10k breakdown around Lv 31.

I feel like if I do Core 10k breakdown for Lv 1-10 or Hiragana bonus level, I would be either overwhelmed or seeing useless words…

So, I don’t really recommend Hiragana-only vocab drill, if you don’t plan to use it…

本日
It’s super common in announcements and it could even have served learning purposes by differentiating it from 日本.

本日 is「ほんじつ」by the way :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.