Start date: 07 August 2021
Previous part: Week 7
Next part : Week 8
Wordlist : Google doc

Reading

Week Start Date End Phrase End Page (PB) Page Count
Week 8 07 August 高竹はコーヒーに手をのばした。 148 19

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I am reading along
  • I am reading behind the schedule
  • I have finished this part
  • I have decided to drop the book
  • The best part of the poll are its results! :durtle_tomato:

0 voters

1 Like

I just noticed that the participation poll closes in two days, one day after we are supposed to start reading, probably because the thread was created early. Just mentioning it because people may not get the chance to vote, nor will we be able to update our status to “finished” when we’re done.

Edit: I’ve started reading, and I thought you would all be very glad to know that we get a refresher course on the rules :grin: I think the author may be using some kind of srs to make sure they never fade from memory.

2 Likes

You beat me to it - I was going to post something similar. I was honestly shocked that we actually had to go through ALL of the rules once again. Is it just being done for dramatic effect so that we can see Kotake’s thoughts on the rules? Or does the author really think by this point there’s a chance we might actually forget?!

Edit: Also, how many times now have we been reminded that the cafe has no windows and three clocks that display different times so that you can’t really know what time it is when you’re there? (Though I liked that this chapter mentioned the fact the the cafe also has antique furniture that looks brand new - when you add up all of those details, this is definitely a place that’s “disconnected from time”, so to speak. :thinking:)

Man, this part was a pretty depressing read. Alzheimer’s is such a terrible illness. I also have a really hard time with sad stories about the elderly and losing their loved ones. I’m both eagerly awaiting and slightly dreading the finale of this story next week. I was already feeling sad just reading the bit about how they met and exchanged letters despite Fusagi’s limited literacy. Such a cute little story, and now he can’t even remember her name. :sob:

2 Likes

That’s my fault: I wished for one more repetition here Week 5: コーヒーが冷めないうちに (Intermediate BC):

5 Likes

For anyone wondering, a 猫脚の椅子 looks something like this:

(The important point being that the legs curve outwards at the top, and inwards at the bottom.)

4 Likes

Well, now I understand why the cafe is underground - to prevent people from bypassing the “can only meet people in the cafe” rule by just calling them on the phone.

Though, the penalty for breaking the rules seems a bit arbitrary - if you don’t finish the coffee, you become the house ghost, but if you get up from your seat, you just get snapped back to the present?

2 Likes

Well, at least I’ll know the word 柱時計 now and forever.

Definitely agree with you about Alzheimer’s. So sad. My grandfather has dementia, and I have this sneaking suspicion that I’ll end up with it too someday. I’m hoping that learning Japanese will help stave it off a bit. If I do get it, I think I’ll get tatt’d up like that guy in Memento, but maybe in a less murder investigation kind of way.

2 Likes

Hello everyone, Week 9 discussion is now open, please join :slight_smile:

2 Likes