Week 7: 笑わない数学者 - Mathematical Goodbye (S&M Vol.3)

Join the Saikawa & Moe (S&M) Series Book Club here!

笑わない数学者 - Mathematical Goodbye (S&M Vol.3) Home Thread

Week 7

Start Date: Feb 5th
Previous Part: Week 6
Next Part: Week 8

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Page Count
Week 7 Feb 5th Chapter 7 ~45

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

Proper Noun Readings

Previous Proper Nouns
Name Reading Notes Proof
犀川 創平 さいかわ そうへい (Week 1)
西之園 萌絵 にしのその もえ
片山 和樹 かたやま かずき Moe’s classmate
天王寺 翔蔵 てんのうじ しょうぞう Professor, grandfather of 片山 和樹
西之園 恭輔 にしのその きょうすけ Moe’s deceased father
湯川 ゆかわ Architecture researcher
天王寺 律子 てんのうじ りつこ Wife of 天王寺 宗太郎; actress
天王寺 俊一 てんのうじ しゅんいち Son of 天王寺 宗太郎 and 律子; genius mathematician; actor
鈴木 昇 すずき のぼる Driver; his mother works for the professor
天王寺 宗太郎 てんのうじ そうたろう Professor’s eldest son; mathematician; famous author; deceased
片山 亮子 かたやま りょうこ Professor’s daughter; 和樹’s mother; 俊一’s aunt; widow; relationship with 湯川
片山 基生 かたやま きせい 亮子’s deceased husband; 和樹’s father; architect who designed the remodelling of 三ッ星館; died of cancer
鈴木 君枝 すずき きみえ Professor’s housemaid
片山 志保 かたやま しほ 和樹’s older sister
諏訪野 すわの Moe’s butler
鈴木 彰 すずき あきら 昇’s father (Week 4)
萩原 はぎわら Police officer investigating the case on-premise
This week's events

Well :grin:

:100: :tada:

Saikawa noticed that as well - and it got him thinking :smiley:

Then we had Moe notice that the colors of the the buildings were maybe meant to match the colors of the stars in the Orion, but they were the wrong way around… So she also seems to embark on a train of thought that might lead to discovering the rotation business… ?

Also they noticed that maybe Ritsuko did not lie in the bed that Shun’ichi later dropped onto when he was being killed, because how could she (or a person that dragged her from the room) have managed to neatly rearrange the sheets?

But we had a long discussion about the vase, and it seems there is only one. So what about that one? Did they actually carry the vase to Noboru’s room and back? That would be the most realistic scenario. Still, this is an unsolved puzzle piece.

And then, the revelation that maybe Katayama Kisei is not dead after all? What’s going on there? And why is everybody telling lies about this?

This is getting more and more convoluted :joy_cat:

5 Likes

Haven’t finished the week yet but just read the first page of this chapter’s part 7 and got really excited!

急に電車が動き出したので、犀川はびっくりしたが、それは錯覚で、隣のその車両が反対方向に出発したことにすぐ気がついた。

Just wanted to post before reading another word–it seems like our example from weeks ago might be the very thing that finally clues in Saikawa!

4 Likes

Haaaaaa that’s the hint he got, I totally did not get it I’m stupid >_<

But yeah things are starting to come together. And good job @NicoleIsEnough on :100:!

4 Likes

Same here same here! :grin:

3 Likes

I have no words. What a ride!

It’s honestly hard to believe there’s still over a 100 pages left at this point, though. It feels like all the pieces have come together already… But I’ve no clue how to assemble them. Maybe there’s a key piece still missing…? :thinking:

3 Likes