Week 7: 夏のレプリカ - Replaceable Summer

Join the Saikawa & Moe (S&M) Series Book Club here!

夏のレプリカ - Replaceable Summer Home Thread

Week 7

Start Date: Sep 16
Previous Part: Week 6
Next Part: Week 8

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Page Count
Week 7 Sep 16 Chapter 14 + 16 ~47 + ~18

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book
0 voters

Proper Noun Readings

Previous Proper Nouns
Name Reading Notes Proof
西之園 萌絵 にしのその もえ (Week 1)

So did Tomoe lie about what Motoki did to her? That’s the implication here, right? really lowing the bar here Mori

Edit: Oh I just noticed this week is ch16 as well

2 Likes

I don’t think she really lied, but she probably didn’t tell her parents about her acting slightly flirty with Motoki that day, which in her mind (and Moe/Mori’s) makes it all her fault (IT’S NOT). So we’re clearly supposed to think that Tomoe’s dad punished (killed?) Motoki for hurting Tomoe, the same way he killed the dog.

I still don’t see what that would have to do with the whole kidnapping thing, but maybe if the dad is capable of killing a dog, an possibly even his own son (???) then he could’ve killed the two kidnappers as well? But I’m really not convinced.

Chapter 16: omg it’s the 7th book and someone FINALLY tells Saikawa that he smokes too much!!

4 Likes

…while drinking while pregnant

5 Likes

Haha I had quite the double-take on that as well :flushed:
Different times, and different culture, I guess…

2 Likes

Is it though? Just did some googling, and apparently research/PSAs about FAS started in the 80s. This book is from 2000, so I don’t think there’s any excuse. In the end it doesn’t really matter and maybe it’s just the moralist in me, but the needless vice still annoys me.

Also, due to the way my reading schedule worked out, I decided to start on the last chapter early… I haven’t finished the book yet but I do know the who/how/why :eyes:

4 Likes
Some more off-topic science stuff

So, absolutely, it annoys me too. And I have no idea why he puts it there so prominently. :woman_shrugging:
Anyways, I got curious in learning about some numbers and found this:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0091743508003940

and when I wanted to compare it with some Western numbers, I found this :flushed: :flushed:

Consumption of alcohol during pregnancy-A multinational European study - PubMed

So yeah, no excuse, nowhere… :cold_sweat:

4 Likes

It has been refreshing to read this book from the POV of Tomoe, Nishihata and Moe with Saikawa not so much involved until these two chapters. I didn’t think Moe was going to show up as much as she has! I like it.

We, or should I say “I” haha, still don’t know what’s up with the two masks, the random gunshot at the home residence, what does Akamatsu want, where is Motoki, who killed those two kidnappers, is the uncle or housemaid involved… And how reliable is Tomoe as a narrator?

:rofl:

I was thinking it was kind of interesting how Nishihata at the beginning of the book was like “I haven’t had a cigarette in so-so many hours and I have a project of seeing how long I can last without going bonkers”, so I thought "oho, someone who’s not going to be so annoying with the smoking? I’m here for it :eyes: :clap: " lmao.

Nishihata and Moe conversation was also refreshing tbh. Though the end of it was so awkward and hilarious. Nishihata: “omg, if I were younger I’d propose to you”. Moe: “…ok, byeee” leaves immediately :joy:

3 Likes