Week 2 葬送のフリーレン ・Frieren 🧝‍♂️ (Beginner Book Club)

Well but this holds true regardless:) it even has a name, forgot what it is

7 Likes

I think it’s gikun (義訓): gikun | Japanese with Anime

10 Likes

It’s not - it’s generally just “here’s how you pronounce this thing”.

9 times out of 10 that’s going to be the standard kanji reading, but sometimes it’s going to be nonstandard readings, double meanings, or completely different words (like ひとつなぎの大宝ワンピース, or the 半世紀エーラ) you found here.

Often the latter is done because the name something has in the story would be meaningless or confusing without further context - a ワンピース is a bathing suit, and エーラ isn’t even really a word in Japanese, but using them in this way immediately clarifies the meaning.

11 Likes

It’s funmessy to use in English as well!

9 Likes

That reminded me of this relevant scene:

2 Likes

finally finished, was really surprised and it’s even made me sad

6 Likes

That’s what they call ものあわれ, a sadness at the transience of things.

7 Likes

There’s a pretty funny example of gikun/forced furigana reading on page 144 (chapter 5) for those who don’t mind having a peak ahead.

4 Likes

Well would you look at that, turns out the floor isn’t made of floor :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

The Week 3 thread is up! See you all there for the end of Chapter 1

6 Likes

A little late as I haven’t had time to read in the last few weeks.

Page 22

Resumo

いつか君にこうして返すべきものだったんだ
I believe it’s something like “It’s something I should give you back”, but I don’t understand what it would be こうして

Page 26

Resumo

こうしているとあのときに戻ったかのようだ
Confused about this こうしている, (it could be the same thing as the previous sentence)

Thanks for any response!

2 Likes

こうして is ‘in this way’, so the sentiment is something like more like 'It’s something I thought would be good to return to you (in this way)"

こうしている is ‘doing it in this way’, so ‘[as a consequence of] doing it in this way, i feel like i’ve returned to that time [of our adventures]’

6 Likes