Join the Advanced Book Club here!
海辺のカフカ - Kafka on the Shore Home Thread
Start Date: Aug 27
Previous Part: Week 13
Next Part: Week 15
||26, 27, 28
- Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
- When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
- Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
- To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!
Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)
- I’m reading along
- I have finished this part
- I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
- I am no longer reading the book
I’ve only read chapters 26 and 27 so far but from chapter 26 I’m really worried about Hoshino! I feel like Colonel Sanders is giving off some real Johnny Walker vibes and that most likely means that something weird/scary/disturbing is in store. I also kind of wouldn’t be too surprised if the girl that the colonel is talking about is Sakura, just because she’s another established character that is in this town, but I kind of hope that it isn’t!
Finished just now - right in time for the end of the week
And now questions are piling up mountain-high. Is Saeki really his mother? The lightning victim story and the fact that she didn’t outright answer his question leads the reader to believe she is. Why is she searching for the same stone as Tanaka? Why is the stone in the garden of the shrine (where Kafka woke up covered in blood, I assume)? Will the ghost of the young Saeki return once more, or is she now gone forever? Who is this ridiculous Colonel Sanders? Is he really Johnny Walker? Would make sense, given the naming scheme and the fact that he knows a lot about Hoshino.
Anyways, there is no remedy other than continuing to read!