Wanikanify - A Google Chrome Extension

Is there any way to add my own words? I’ve been using anki and genki 1 as well and I know a lot more words than what just wanikanify has.

Great addon! Cant wait to learn more kanji and progressively get the websites covered in Japanese :D 
However I have one question, for it it is showing the word ‘in’ as 中。Is this correct? It’s just that as far as I can see from the Kanji I’ve learnt it means middle/very.

“Middle” and “in” are kinda similar. It’s not used as a preposition like “in” per se (Japanese does not have prepositions, after all). Rather, you could for example say この中 (このなか) to mean “in these”, “among these”, etc. so that’s where “in” comes from.

Edit: I was just listening to a song that had a better example! “水の中” means “in the water”. Btw, the “very” meaning of this kanji is not very characteristic.  I’ve only encountered it in 中中 so far.

What level in the SRS does a particular word have to be before it shows up as kanji on a page? I just installed this, added my api key, rebooted, and went to wikipedia to test drive it.  Nothing happens.  I have unlocked a handful of words but not burned them yet.  Is that why it doesn’t work?  Just to make sure, I have been looking at the beginner words like above, child, etc. , as well as clicking the crabigator icon in the extensions bar of chrome… But they remain in English.  Puzzled

EDIT: I think one of my other unrelated chrome plugins was interfering with it. Everything works fine now.

Wow… This is absolutely awesome!  A huge thank you!

Question…I go back and forth between chrome and firefox.  Any chance this can be  ported to FF?

Kuri-chan said... What level in the SRS does a particular word have to be before it shows up as kanji on a page? I just installed this, added my api key, rebooted, and went to wikipedia to test drive it.  Nothing happens.  I have unlocked a handful of words but not burned them yet.  Is that why it doesn't work?  Just to make sure, I have been looking at the beginner words like above, child, etc. , as well as clicking the crabigator icon in the extensions bar of chrome... But they remain in English.  *Puzzled*

EDIT: I think one of my other unrelated chrome plugins was interfering with it. Everything works fine now.
 To answer the question though, it tracks based on vocab, not kanji. And it works on any unlocked vocab (right after you learn it even at SRS 1). 

caffeine said... Wow... This is absolutely awesome!  A *huge* thank you!

Question...I go back and forth between chrome and firefox.  Any chance this can be  ported to FF?
 There already is a firefox version made by looki here: /t/WaniKanify-for-Firefox/4288/1

I've compiled a list of all the posted apps and extensions if you ever want a quick way of looking something up. /t/List-of-API-and-Third-Party-Apps/5495/1

Whoa!!! :open_mouth: This is so cool!!!

Being able to see the kanji used in some sort of context is awesome. Thank you!!!

I love the sounds of this, but i think that my authenticated browsing on my work PC is breaking it from updating the page, so I’ll have to wait till I get home to play with this more.

Edit: nope works at work, I just didnt read, vocab, not kanji :slight_smile: soooo happy (my list is very small so far, cant wait to see it grow)

2 things.

1.  Any level 50s (or close to that) able to post a screenshot of a news article/wiki page that’s been wanikanified?  I’m curious to see how much of the page ends up changed.

2.  This seems like a cool thing, and I’ve already been using it for a bit.  (I never realized how much the word “up” is used).  Just wondering, though, how useful it really is since it both seems to interfere with the idea of SRS and it gets you to read individual vocab words/phrases but in the context of English.  Could that be potentially damaging?

It’s a really cool idea, and a really cool little extension.  Just curious about whether one should really be using it when they’re first learning.

This is really cool! Thank you for making it. I’m only level three right now, but I can see how at first I have to think about them, but after having it on for about an hour, certain ones I know very quickly. I think it will help a lot to reinforce the learning as I continue.

It’s Beautiful.

not working for me.  don’t know why.   Extensions menu says that it is enabled.

sbphilip said... not working for me.  don't know why.   Extensions menu says that it is enabled.
 check the settings. it may require that you press the icon in order to "wanikanify" the page. if you go into the settings, you can set it up so that it automatically wanikanifies whenever you load a page. just right click on the icon and choose options.

This is  simply amazing!

And now I will spend whole Sunday glued to my computer.

ShotgunLagoon said...
sbphilip said... not working for me.  don't know why.   Extensions menu says that it is enabled.
 check the settings. it 五月 require that you press the icon 中 order to "wanikanify" the page. if you go into the settings, you can set it 上 so that it automatically wanikanifies whenever you load a page. just 右 click on the icon and choose options.
Checked the settings, and reloaded it twice, finally started working thanks! 

This extension has been so helpful in solidifying the meanings of Kanji.  Thank you so much for taking the time to create such a great learning resource!

Is there any way this can be ported to maxthon? It looks like a really useful extension.

Wow this is amazing. While some of the translations are technically the correct literal translation like “Time” and "回” instead of "時間”. It’s still so fricken useful for reading it doesn’t matter. I am impressed.

amazing!!

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing.