Wanikanify - A Google Chrome Extension

Awesome, it would be great to have an option for users to add a list of sites that it will automatically substitute words for, while it defaults to click to substitute on non listed sites

This article’s plot summary 五月 be too long or excessively detailed.

Yeah… May :stuck_out_tongue:

Awesome app though!

This is great! Thank you. 

Had to re-install Chrome today. For some reason, this extension does not appear to work anymore for me. When I put in my public API and hit save, it says that it has been saved. However, when navigating to a web page, I see no kanji (neither when clicking the icon or enabling “automatic mode”). If I go back to the extension’s settings, the public API field is empty.

Basically, my settings are not saved :frowning:

Using Chrome  29.0.1547.66 m on Windows 7 64-bit.

Is there any extension which wouldn’t convert english words to kanji but will highlight all known kanji in the wild (and hiragana/katakana)? With this you would be able to see what you should be able to read and what isn’t.

insider said... Is there any extension which wouldn't convert english words to kanji but will highlight all known kanji in the wild (and hiragana/katakana)? With this you would be able to see what you should be able to read and what isn't.
 Yes.
martinu said... First off, many thanks for this.

Secondly, the extension seems to cause the browser page to freeze for 10-30 seconds whenever I load 上 a new page. This is annoying every time I google something since Im not able to click any of the links. Does this only happen to me? 
 YES! This is incredibly annoying. I love this extension, but I'm really debating on uninstalling it at this point. OP, would you release the source? Programmer here!

Even with just level one vocab it is fun to see kanji pop up. You would be surprised how much - above, below, please, alone, etc show up.

Also, Google search seems to work fine for me. No website freezing.

Hello.  This extension seems really cool, but I have not been able to make it work on my browser.  I am using the latest version of Chrome for Windows 7.  I downloaded it, put in my API key (there is only one, I don’t see a “public API key”), told it to check automatically, and… no change.  I do notice a few very brief pauses on my browser that isn’t normal.

Do you need to Guru kanji first or is it good enough to Apprentice them?  I have 17 Apprentice kanji and I’m not sure if that is why I’m not seeing any English word substituted for kanji right now.  Can someone assist me?  Have I missed something?  Thank you.

I just realized something - KANJI and VOCABULARY are two different things in WaniKani.  I have 17 Apprentice kanji but I have not learned a single vocabulary yet.  I assume I need to Apprentice at least one vocabulary item to see results from that extension…

BFBullpup said... I just realized something - KANJI and VOCABULARY are two different things in WaniKani.  I have 17 Apprentice kanji but I have not learned a single vocabulary yet.  I assume I need to Apprentice at least one vocabulary item to see results from that extension....
 Once you guru the kanji, the vocab will be unlocked. Patience friend.

Wanikanify now works for me as I had my first vocabulary lesson yesterday.  This is a very cool extension!  It is nice to be able to instantly recognize and read kanji on a website that is not a Japanese-learning site for a change.  :-)

This is pretty amazing… :smiley:

Plus if you have the Rikaikun add-on for Google Chrome you can check to see if you are right!

This looks AWESOME! Even with the few (level 4) vocabulary I do know, I’m already seeing a good number of things change when I “wanikanify” a page!

ありがとうございます!^^

lol dammit not one word on my reddit frontpage is kanji >_< cheers for this script! Hopefully I’ll get there soon. 

EDIT: nevermind, I turned on “automatic” and now I have like 7.   :P

EDIT! HAHA that ^ has ima/kon yay! So cool. But would it interfere at all with SRS? Since technically I wouldn’t have otherwise thought about the kanji until my next review? 

How di i find my API key? Advanced apologies for a probably stupid question!

Bealzy said... How di i find my API key? Advanced apologies for a probably stupid question!
 http://www.wanikani.com/account 

there ya go

cheers! i never thought to look in account settings :confused:

This extension sounds awesome!

This is a brilliant idea

Thank you for this