WaniKani Study Buddy Race - 2023, All Aboard!

Way to go! :tada: There’s nothing wrong with taking your time. If you’ve been keeping up with reviews, you probably don’t have a terrifying amount to slug through either so that’s a plus!

5 Likes

おめでとう!

Make sure you speed up little by little, don’t just suddenly jump from 5 lessons a day to 20 for example. If your previous was 5, try doing 10, see how you can handle the reviews and adjust accordingly.
Good luck!

6 Likes

If its any consolation I was meant to be level 4 Yesterday but 2 spelling mistakes set me back until Friday. I now understand the value of the override script.

4 Likes

warms ma heart to see all those 0’s becoming 1’s
and there’s that one 2 in there as well. fast levels hehe!

12 Likes

I’ll level up today (if i don’t royally screw up) and i just saw that my first burns will come up in exactly two weeks. Because i speedran and always did all lessons in one go it’ll be quite a substantial wave of reviews :sweat_smile:

In addition to that i’m now clost to catching up to my previous max level, so there’s gonna be new Kanji again. I guess that’s the whole point of the site but I’m already exhausted thinking about it :laughing: Only silver lining is that I’ll be burning the Level 1-10 items for i think the third time, because I’m an idiot, lol.

5 Likes

aouch! but it’s not new material.

this time i slow run and i do vocab first day or two on a level and then 5 of each a day after that. with some mods to get to 0/0

my first burns this time will be in march.

4 Likes

Yeah, otherwise i would’ve gone slower.

I wanna keep 0/0 going but good you mention that. I should probably figure out a strategy on how to do my lessons and set some max items per day in addition to max apprentice items or something :thinking: Else i’m just gonna burn out again.

5 Likes

yep. be kind to yourself.

i use the items’ list in wkstats to plan out how to spread my lessons not all levels have the same number of items so instead of adjusting my lessons to go fast, i adjust them to go at an even pace and some levels can take longer.

i burned out too. don’t wanna go through that again.

4 Likes

I’ve burnt out in the past too, mostly with the idea of “oh just do a few more lessons, wouldn’t it be so nice to level up quickly?” but then it gets overwhelming fast. This time after my reset I am following a strict schedule of max 10 kanji lessons per day, and max 15 vocab lessons per day, and hopefully that consistency will be good for me. I never reach 0/0, but I’ve decided 0/0 isn’t going to be a priority for me anyway, and I’m trying really hard not to look at that level up time, although that’s hard not to do.

8 Likes

welcome to the forum @KJules!

hope this is a better run for you then. i reset once from 33 to 32 i think and that was just not gonna cut it so i reset from 41 to 1 bam!

i do 15 lessons max a day so you’ll be ahead of me in no time… i’ll wave!

now please get yourself a PFP!

3 Likes

Lol, done! And I’m sure we’ll be neck and neck during the race. Good luck to us both!

4 Likes

Last time I took a Japanese class is a little more recent for me ~4 years ago but really learning with the goal of reading instead of speaking/writing makes so much more sense. It’s a shame I didn’t know about this being a thing back then because really I have two concrete things I wanna do: read manga without a translator and be able to navigate/read directions without needing to bother randos.

But more to the point of your post I remember nothing from those classes besides some basic vocab. With this way of learning I really feel like I’m getting a footing in the language even with just a couple of levels.

5 Likes

I’m a little late but I’d like to join too!
Good luck everyone :blush:

8 Likes

there’s no time limit to join!
welcome to the manly race!

8 Likes

Trying something new in my learning process … I’m not that good at handwriting and still new with using a graphic tablet but the results aren’t that bad. Whether it helps with retention I’m not so sure about but it’s fun if you have the time :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The program is called mypaint. Open source and a real joy for anybody who just wants to quickly and easily play around with a graphic tablet!

7 Likes

Oh shoot, I’ve just been doing all the lessons whenever they’re available. Should I just not worry about it since I’m only at level 2 rn, or should I start limiting like you guys? I don’t want to be doing like a crazy amount of review here soon lmfao

3 Likes

unless you plan on speed running (which is fine if you have a few hours to spend on japanese daily), i would very much recommend spacing your lessons out.

we all do all the lessons when we start. the excitement lol!

you might want to spend time looking at scripts and advice threads to help plan your WK journey.

@shikaji just created this incredible repository: Wanikani Strategy Hub

i’ve reset so i have an idea of what i want now (ish). my personal strategy is to count the items on a level and plan my lessons according to that. I use wkst

the items page has everything

so here, since i want to limit daily lessons to 15, i already know it will take at least 12 days.

i also clear previous level vocab at least a bit before moving on to radicals and kanji and only do 5 a day of each so new kanji and vocab unlocks slowly. it may be psychological but i feel less overwhelmed.

6 Likes

I’d say your fine for now, basically you limit yourself according to how much you have in your apprentice pile, most recommend to not have more than 100, I like mine around 60.

5 Likes

Huzzah I made it to level 4.

14 Likes

Was waiting to post until I made it to level 8 last night! Woo! I’ve been lurking and enjoying reading everyone’s encouragement and questions.

But now I have a question myself: how do you remember when to use the “getsu” vs “gatsu” (and the occasional “tsuki”) readings for 月?

I have such a hard time keeping them straight in 毎月、何月、月末、一月、etc.

8 Likes