WaniKani Study Buddy Race - 2023, All Aboard!

Made it to the dizzying heights of level 24!

Only took me about a month and a half since my last level up, but you know what they say - slow and steady wins the race … right? :racing_car::checkered_flag:

14 Likes

Reached level 22. Levelling up right before going to bed is the worst. Will need to tackle100+ reviews and 84 lessons first thing tomorrow

11 Likes

You don’t have to do all your lessons at once, you can still make good speed, spacing it out

8 Likes

Level 10! :hugs: Gosh, I’ve really slowed down for the past couple of months but hey, consistency over speed. Still on track to reach level 30 by the end of the year!

Two months to go before I reach my first few burns, can’t wait

9 Likes

*honk honk*

:racing_car: :dash:

Leveled up! :partying_face:

10 Likes

NICE! :smiley:
And cool new Avatar BTW :wink:

6 Likes

Aw thank you! :grin:

And @ekg did a lovely job!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Same one who made me previous pfp hehe

5 Likes

Well done on the level up! ^>^

applause

6 Likes

Level 17! My account can now play M-rated video games!

I’ve been full steam ahead since I started in January, and I think I experienced my first twinge of fatigue this weekend. I will simply push through it, problem solved

Since my last post in here I’ve started reading よつばと! because I’ve always heard good things about it. It’s still a fairly slow process to translate but it’s been very satisfying and I’ve been really enjoying it :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

I guess this is fairly common, but the first few review piles after a level up are especially hard. I’m feeling this even more in the level twenties. And WK just keeps throwing reviews at you

4 Likes

so…
this week i did the MAL easter egg hunt and zero lessons!
i restarted today and did 15 from the previous level’s vocab
am so behind lol!

this said, i finished the easy and the hard route so it was all worth it!

imma plan on 20 days instead of two weeks to keep lessons to 10 - 15 a day

7 Likes

Hahahaha

Yes! Without mercy… :scream:

I don’t even imagine how will it turn after starting to burn some turtles :turtle::turtle::turtle:

Let’s hope our japanese “instinct” will develop by that time :racing_car::checkered_flag:

5 Likes

I was so annoyed with the time I took with 21, I flew through 22 way faster than usual. So today, I’m half my age! Lol, happy for the level up, but don’t think I can maintain that pace.

12 Likes

Reached level 22!

12 Likes

Here to rant a little: I’ve only done 10-ish reviews daily for the past three days because I had to focus on a deadline. Now I’m left with a huge pile of reviews… Again… My studies are such a rollecoaster - 2 weeks of peace allowing me to focus on Japanese, then a few days of absolute chaos + all-nighters, then multiple days of catching up on sleep and reviews, and then the cycle repeats… Ugh… No matter how hard I try, I just cannot be consistent and it drives me crazy. Also feeling tired just seeing this on my dashboard:

Please wish me good luck.

8 Likes

Yeah, it’s super frustrating. I had similar numbers on mine a few weeks ago for similar reasons. Can you ignore lessons for a while to get the reviews down to a manageable pile? That’s what I ended up doing, but my period of chaos ended a few weeks ago so I’ve had a little more downtime than you seem to. Hang in there!

5 Likes

There’s something I find so demotivating about seeing the high number of reviews too, like the higher the number goes, the less I want to tackle the pile, which of course makes it all worse. I haven’t figured out how to get through those busy periods and maintain wanikani either, so I don’t have any useful advice.

What I have had is some very late at night, frustrating, low accuracy review sessions in the last few days, though, so I feel your pain.

Maybe this is time for the kanji fairy.

7 Likes

I did consider it, but the thing is - most of the review pile is items about to go Mastered/Enlightened/Burned (it’s burn season all year around now), so it’s not like things will get out of hand if I learn a few things. My apprentice is also at 64. I feel like at this point I am just listing excuses to engage in the self destructive behaviour of completing that awful lessons pile in 1-2 sessions :sweat_smile: But I really just want it out of my life so badly

Sorry to hear that, those really suck :frowning: Must be those pesky Kanji demons - in times like these, you must arm yourself with slices of cheese and aim for the face. Or just offer blood sacrifice to the Kanji fairy

cheemz2

Kanji fairy coming in clutch (my accuracy was surprisingly good!):

Now 250ish more reviews to go…

6 Likes

If I’m being honest, if the lessons pile is causing you a lot of mental strain, and you are prepared to deal with the review consequences, I don’t see a problem with doing a bunch of lessons at once.

For me, I never feel lesson stress, because i do a fixed daily number, so I often have lesson stacks well over 100. But i feel a ton of review stress, and if that pile gets big I start to do a panic and avoidance thing, which is super unhelpful.

But, it looks like you’ve got some motivation to tackle things and the reviews are going well! So I’d say, keep it up and you’ll be out of the woods soon!

4 Likes

Mine too! I was having some trouble keeping college and wanikani, but I did some changes in my schedule and things are starting to work out again!

5 Likes