I’m new to the community, but I’ve been on this WaniKani journey for a while and have always had trouble taking my lessons and reviews on a regular schedule, so much so that I recently decided to reset my account and start over with the goal to never let myself fall that far behind again.
To help with this, I wrote a new Bitbar plugin for WaniKani that has greatly helped me keep up with my Lessons and Reviews, and I wanted to share it with the community to hopefully help out anyone else who struggles to take their Lessons and Reviews on a regular schedule like I do.
I spend all day at work on my Mac, and having an auto updating status of my lesson and review count has made me much more successful at keeping up throughout the day!
- Install Bitbar
- Install the WaniKani Stats plugin from the plugin store
- Get an API v2 key from your WaniKani account here.
- Click the Bitbar icon in your menu and select “Preferences” -> “Open Plugin Folder…”
- Open the “waniKaniStats.5m.rb” file with a text editor and enter your API key in-between the quotes where it says API_TOKEN = ‘’
- Click the Bitbar icon in your menu bar and press CMD + R to refresh, and it should display your status!
The data automatically updates every 5 minutes.
If anyone runs into any issues with the plugin, please let me know. Enjoy!