Wanikani screenshots 📸

Welcome to a fun game called “Don’t do some lessons right before bed and then avoid doing them for 22 hours”, with your host…

…20% correct answer rates!

12 Likes

ouch… This is almost painful to look at

5 Likes

I feel your pain. I hit level 6 last night and did something like 100 lessons in one go.

Today? I woke up with a lovely case of stomach flu. T_T Finally get around to not feeling like death this evening and I have 182 reviews waiting for me. ;-;

1 Like

From a low-ish level to another low-ish level: Don’t do a bunch of lessons at once.

Effects of doing a bunch of lessons at once:
1. You get 100 items in your review queue. It’s generally recommended to have around 100 apprentice at any given time, iirc.
2. You’re letting all of the reviews come back in the same batch. That means, say you get 40% correct. That means that that 60% will keep coming back at the same time, and the other 40% will likely come up again when you’re more motivated to do your reviews again.
3. It kills motivation because you have over 100 reviews in your review queue at any given time.

Basically, it makes you level up more slowly.
WaniKani might not be a race, but you do want to learn at a fast enough pace that you’re learning things instead of kind of seeing the same words over and over again for a month. That can get boring.

This is what happens if you do a bunch of reviews at once:
(Notably level 6).
Level 7 is when I did the vastly superiour method that most people use, otherwise known as doing maybe 20-25 lessons a day at the most.

1 Like

Some oddly pleasing numbers going on here

5 Likes

I feel like you can have as many as you can handle in your apprentice, just knowing that your apprentice queue is directly linked to your number of daily reviews, and if you find it’s too hard to do reviews, you’ve found your limit!

I am also a fan of the distributed lessons over time, I do my reviews in small chunks all day too, I’m just saying I think the hard limit at 100 is a little arbitrary.

Note, the size of the satellite…

2 Likes

I think it’s broken.

2 Likes

It’s not a hard limit, it’s an “around the number” limit that most people seem to impose. Said people seem to progress the fastest.

Of course, doing too many lessons means doing more reviews, and doing more reviews means more likely to burn out, which just wastes more time in the end.

Sometimes I google the mnemonics to see if any cool tricks to remember them come up.

Sometimes I hit the jackpot.

13 Likes

Turns out Professor Layton puzzle music is perfect for concentration.

still cant solve the puzzle though

Omg. Ouch! :sweat:

Even better.

6 Likes

There are some really pleasing numbers here:

2 Likes

4 Likes

Why do you do this to yourself?

2 Likes

I completely forgot to do the lessons of the 2nd batch of kanji yesterday night… :expressionless:

1 Like

To take to the extreme :slight_smile: https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/極める

It’s going well. I got lazy the week following the JLPT exam this December and ended up with 600+ reviews to do. Fixed them in 3 days but I’m still recovering from it D: I had 300 apprentice items at the time and now I have around 200. My normal is at max 120.

KaniWani is a powerful tool, since going EN => JP is extremely important. I really advise its use. It also saves me time from WK as I end up getting less things wrong.

To fix KaniWani review backlog, there’s 2 possibilities:

• Do them all until you get back to 0 again (and maintain). This one is the best option when you know you’ll be able to handle all those extra reviews. To avoid adding even more reviews on KW, you can opt to slow down on WK. It’s better to learn 15 words EN => JP and vice-versa then 20 words JP => EN only.
  • Lock some of the levels where all that bunch of reviews are coming from. Yes, you’ll be taking 1 step backwards, but this would allow you to take 2 steps further. The locking of levels should happen from the lowest to the highest. Why? Because reinforcing the items that are in Guru has priority. You don’t want them going back to Apprentice on WK while you’re also struggling with KW (and other stuff). Never lock your current level. It’s important to use KW and WK together for newer items. Like I said, healthy apprentice items are items that won’t bother you again.
1 Like

It’s not as if I willingly accumulate reviews. Just consider this:

You’re two levels away from your goal.
You’re at the end of this semester. You have to take exams, write reports, etc. I also have a job tied to the same calendar.
You’re also at the beginning of December and you promised to help with Christmas decorations (more like you got dragged into it).
Since you’re tired you fell asleep while doing your reviews for two days; and because you usually get more reviews around 9 pm, in the end, the result of being tired is 800 reviews waiting for you.

Since around a month ago the amount of reviews waiting for me is about 450 per day. But, those days I got lucky and I got around 250 while solving the 800 I couldn’t do.

Also, WK was kind of acting weird, since the time I took that screenshot, the number of reviews for the next day decreased to 560… yay!

You hate to see that…

1 Like