WaniKani + Rainmeter (Windows)

kestrel150 said...
Thompson820 said... One nice little tweak for the skin:

Now simply click the icons to take you straight to your waiting lessons and reviews.
 thanks for that!

EDIT: For some reason its not working =/ i click the icons and nothing happens. I type LeftMouseUpAction=http://www.wanikani.com/lesson and LeftMouseUpAction=http://www.wanikani.com/review into the same places as you showed.

I'm using firefox by the way.

Did you refresh the skin before trying it? I guess I have should have mentioned that.

Thanks, been using this for a while very useful motivator :slight_smile:
Did some simple visual changes. moved reviews to the middle and made time and lessons visible only on hover because after a while you’ll constantly have reviews and seeing current time and lessons 0 felt a bit cluttered.
if anyone else would like to try:
https://gist.github.com/linguas/d0dd406acea94b71f83c
(if you’d like to see lessons just remove group=hover from lesson related stuff)

maybe will edit it later so the text changes colour as the number increases

edited:  it gets redder as number of reviews increases, also  font size increases which makes it look ugly and unaligned, great motivator for me. 

https://gist.github.com/linguas/d0dd406acea94b71f83c/85c4fa9257966e5ed8b4cc311865a13e3eee554b

I’m not really familiar with rainmeter. Does this just display the reviews and time or can you actually do your reviews through the desktop?

It just displays, can see it in main post top left corner.

linguaholic said... It just displays, can see it in main post top left corner.
 Gotcha. Thanks.

Perfect! Thank you for the widget! I added to my rainmeter widgets list and contracted it a bit to fit perfectly in the last spot remaining!

Wish I had more time to check this out thoroughly. Signed up for it nonetheless. If I feel it’s worth it, I’ll check out a subscription in the future

Thanks!

I’m trying to figure out how to change the font. Also the script that allows you to click on the lesson or the review to go straight to the site sounds helpful, but I don’t know where in the code to add those lines. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much! It was surprisingly easy to do considering I’ve never tried something like this before. Although it admittedly took me way too long to figure out the whole API thing, I did in the end and it looks great. :grin::+1:

Looks good!
Also BTS ftw…(Blood Sweat & Tears <3, but you know… also Dope, Butterfly and I need you, and…)

Also also, there is also an edited version with a crabigator.
This is mine (double clicking crabigator opens reviews for me)

I did like the original also though so i have that also with a minor edit so it looks like this:

However, when i hover over it with my mouse, the other data shows up, like this:

Good stuff

2 Likes

Omg, is that Minghao? I love it.

Side note, I do have two questions. How does everyone get the number of reviews and lessons to show? Mine never has a number above it, not even 0. Also, how do you get it to show the next review time instead of the current time?
2018-07-06

I think you have to add your API key to it still.
If you right click on the skin (might be hard cause its thin lines, maybe on the square next to lessons) you can select edit skin:

Edit: the value after update (second line) might be 1000 on yours. I changed it to 100 to have it refresh quicker

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I didn’t put the space between the APIkey= and my API key. It working great now. :hugs:

2 Likes

6174607_ab4ed07da941c2ea4e32891fc35399cf
Glad it works now!

2 Likes

Hi. Just wondering if this skin was broken thanks to an update. I’m not too programming literate and the API documentation is not exactly my comfort zone, read, I’ve got no clue.

1 Like

It was, WK switched entirely to their v2 api and removed the v1 api, of which this skin was reliant upon. Now it would be a matter of somebody remaking the skin using the v2 api, which I’m not totally sure how difficult it would be.

3 Likes

After trying and failing to get this to work I looked into the rainmeter script and new wanikani api a little bit. I have a rough sense of how to (perhaps inelegantly) script this sort of thing in python or javascript but really don’t understand rainmeter scripts enough to write one to do the same thing.

It seems like these two lines in the script fetch from the old api and parse the response to get the lesson & review data:
URL=http://www.wanikani.com/api/user/#APIKey#/study-queue
RegExp=“lessons_available…(\d*)…reviews_available…(\d*)…next_review_date…(\d*)”

Unfortunately the closest thing I could find in the new API is a summary response that gives a list of all the upcoming reviews, lessons, and their times. Since you get multiple lists instead of a single number or a sentence/string (like in API v1) you’d need to calculate the total numbers yourself. This sort of thing is super easy once you have the data in any major programming language (list.length or something like that) but I have no idea how one would do it in a rainmeter plugin. There’s also an issue of authentication as it seems the old api put the key in the url but the new one uses what are called bearer tokens. I got it to work with curl and the postman website but again, no idea if/how rainmeter would manage.

Here’s the link to the API response I was looking at: WaniKani API Reference . I’m probably not up to building it out now that I realize all that but I figured I’d leave what I found out in case anyone else is up to the challenge and this helps generate ideas

2 Likes