WaniKani please make a block vocab option

Please make a block option in the vocabulary learnings so that I can block words that are so useless and unnecessary to me. Examples: “All America” “Napoleon the 3rd” “Postage Stamp” “Hull”. Like… why…?

6 Likes

I can see how you might not need “All America” and “Napoleon”, but the “the third” bit is something worth learning, and “postage stamp” and “hull” are extremely commonplace.

All in all, though, the point of the vocabulary is to reinforce the kanji learning.

25 Likes

May I introduce you to our lord and savior - Anki?

5 Likes

May I refer you to the lesson picker?

Apart from that, I can’t see how “hull” and “postage stamp” are useless words.

And, as @Belthazar said, the vocab is there to reinforce the kanji.

9 Likes

It’s all about when you learn these words. I’m pretty sure I’ve never come across 船体 during my entire time consuming Japanese. Even if it might appear if you consume the right kind of media, it really isn’t a word you should be learning on level 7, within your first 1000 words.
Outside the “it’s there to reinforce the kanji”-argument, WaniKani vocabulary is a mess :neutral_face:

11 Likes

I’m pretty sure that hull is an important word in One Piece :wink: But yeah, it should perhaps be put a bit higher

2 Likes

But (almost) every word is frequent somewhere, that’s why it’s best to learn these when you actually come across them :see_no_evil:

9 Likes

True, although I don’t want to consume content where 金玉 is a frequent word :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

I would recommend avoiding Japanese pro wrestling in that case…

4 Likes

Well, I guess I can’t avoid it anyway, since AFAIK it’s kinda like a joke word lol

tbh, I probably haven’t seen 金玉, but rather words like 睾丸 and other words with 陰.

I have seen 船体 in some contexts, however.

1 Like

WaniKani has their priorities. I’ve been told 一緒/一緒に (~top 200 frequent word) had to be pushed back to level 38 to make room for 金玉 on level 5 :face_with_monocle:

7 Likes

Somehow I’m not surprised hearing that. I’m level 22, and only now am I getting things like 風呂 and 過ぎ. Or at least, the characters that write them. Apparently anything related to 風呂 is in the 50s for some reason?

If you spend any time interacting with the language, then you probably know how to read this stuff about 10 levels earlier because it’s everywhere and not too complex in shape to remember. Japanese people build their entire evenings around what time they have their bath and will let you know when they’re going to take it.

11 Likes

See, the reason I recommended Anki earlier is because it leaves the choice of vocabulary to the user and allows learning vocabulary more organically.

While teaching unusual words makes sense in the context of teaching kanji by increasing complexity, if you’re not going to see a certain kanji as often as others, you may more easily forget it. Not to mention there are words which are extremely common, but use wild kanji like 憂鬱.

6 Likes

This gives me depressions

Well, not actually lol

2 Likes

I absolutely understand that, everything else would be a total failure :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I actually find “hull” useful as I have an interest in sailing and the boat hull is frequently referenced, at least among boaters.

3 Likes

They’ve been improving quite a bit lately with the various content moves.

But honestly while I do have issues with some vocabulary entries which are both advanced/rare words and have exceptional readings or meanings not easily derived from the kanji (in which case it takes a lot of effort to memorize them and I’ll probably have forgotten them by the time I need them) I don’t think the examples in this thread are a good example of that:

• 全米

The use of 米 to refer to America (and various other country-specific kanji) is surprising at first but pretty common in newspapers for instance, that’s worth learning. Here’s an article I found on NHK’s current frontpage that has 中米 in its title: ギャング対策とビットコイン ”世界一治安悪い国”を一変 中米エルサルバドル“クールな独裁者”ブケレ大統領とは? | NHK

Once you know that 米 can refer to America, the meaning is completely transparent and the reading is trivial.

• ナポレオン三世

Having some katakana practice never hurts and the “3rd” part is reasonably common for anything dealing with royalty. I encountered it a bunch of times in games for instance:

• 切手

So this one I sort-of agree with, the reading is exceptional, the meaning is not obvious from the kanji and in this day and age it’s not necessarily super useful. I suspect that it’s the type of word that’s disproportionately represented in textbooks like Genki and that’s why it’s here.

Bunpro also has it in its N5 vocab deck for instance: 切手 (日本語能力試験 N5) | Bunpro

It also appears twice in the Tango N5 Anki deck, so clearly WaniKani isn’t an outlier here.

• 船体

For me that’s a perfect example of a vocab word that doesn’t really make sense at this early level for its own sake but makes complete sense for something like WaniKani: the reading is completely regular and you can easily guess the meaning from the kanji. What’s a “boat” “body”? It’s the hull.

Both kanji are very common, the readings are common too. 10/10 v good vocab.

9 Likes

I am at the post office buying these at least a few times a month, often more (living here in Japan). I find it a quite useful word as I need it in order to tell them what I want to purchase.

6 Likes

If the standard for having vocab in WaniKani is “some people buy those things sometimes somewhere” we’re going to need to add a bunch more entries! Especially given the number of kanji specific for groceries… I learned 兎 a few days ago, not on WaniKani.

Personally I haven’t bought stamps in like 15 years and according to my (not necessarily representative) JPDB frequency plugin it’s top 24k in frequency, which is not exactly obscure but certainly not massively common for a word taught on WaniKani level 4.

1 Like