WaniKani Mobile - [End of Support]

Thanks for your app, it’s really well done and has a lot of nice little additions! :smiley:

Keyboard issue is fixed with the new update. Thanks for the quick support!

I had a really bad internet connection in the train maybe that caused the following bug:
I entered a wrong solution (can’t remember if reading or meaning) to a vocab and then every item had the vocab displayed which I had wrong.
For example: it asked for the reading of “Commong point” but the item that was actually displayed was the one I had wrong before. No chance to get the reading correct :wink:
After closing the app and reopening it again the bug was gone.
I have a screenshot if you need it, I’m just to lazy to upload it now :slight_smile:

dlemay said... Keyboard issue is fixed with the new update. Thanks for the quick support!
 I was experiencing the same keyboard issue in 1.12.0 and it's working perfectly again with the new update to 1.12.1 as well. Thanks again!

(I use Swype (latest) and stock Android kb)

Thank you all for the reports. In case you’re curious, it was the filter for valid chars which was doing funny things… 
On the bright side, I could slip in @Ikalou’s clever fix so WK Review Order supports single mode again.
Given the (simple) nature of this fix, I think I’ll make it available also as a standalone feature that you can easly enable/disable. Something like the mute button.

@Narmora: I think this happened to me, once: you gave me a valuable hint, since I remember that the conditions were similar (wrong question, bad connectivity…). A simple workaround is to disable (at least for that session) JP fonts. 

Hello,

Is is possible to add an option to stop the on screen keyboard from popping up?  I have a blue tooth keyboard with my tablet and would like to have the on screen keyboard stay hidden.   There used to be an option for that in earlier version of android in the blue tooth settings but has since disappeared.

Hi, I can’t promise much because android apps have somewhat limited control over the soft keyboard.
However here’s a tentative APK:
          https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5etxdum9kb5e97/WaniKaniMobile-1.12.1-keyb0.apk
You’ll have to explicitly enable the option “Settings/HW Keyboard” (Reviews section), which will of course be disabled by default.
I could not test it properly because I don’t have an external keyboard, so there might be cases where it will popup anyway…

I was wondering with 1.12.1 - is the dialog popup for the ignore script now set to display every time the “X” is clicked for every review session? It seems like before it might’ve popped up once and then I never saw it again.

Thanks SO MUCH for working the single mode fix back into the review sessions! Goes muuuuch faster when I wake up to 100+ reviews now. :slight_smile:

Sorry to request another feature, but is there anyway to have the SRS level displayed during reviews?

Thanks again for this app!

tekchic said... I was wondering with 1.12.1 - is the dialog popup for the ignore script now set to display every time the "X" is clicked for every review session? It seems like before it might've popped up once and then I never saw it again.
Does it? The expected behaviour is to display the message until you touch the "Ok, got it" button (the cancel button is not enough). After that it should not appear again. 
Looking at the diffs against 1.11.0 I can't find anything that could cause this strange bug, and I can't even reproduce it on any emulator. Is out there anyone else that has the same problem?

At any rate, if it persists, I can give you an APK that clears the flag so that this won't (hopefully) happen again.

Thanks SO MUCH for working the single mode fix back into the review sessions! Goes muuuuch faster when I wake up to 100+ reviews now. :)
Kudos to  @Ikalou :)

roycorduroy said... Sorry to request another feature, but is there anyway to have the SRS level displayed during reviews?
There's something wrong with the way Android runs the SRS animation: on my phone they appear, but after ~1 second.
I'll have a look: if it's something that can't be fixed on the app side, I'll ask Viet...

s84606 said...
tekchic said... I was wondering with 1.12.1 - is the dialog popup for the ignore script now set to display every time the "X" is clicked for every review session? It seems like before it might've popped up once and then I never saw it again.
Does it? The expected behaviour is to display the message until you touch the "Ok, got it" button (the cancel button is not enough). After that it should not appear again. 
Looking at the diffs against 1.11.0 I can't find anything that could cause this strange bug, and I can't even reproduce it on any emulator. Is out there anyone else that has the same problem?

It happens to me as well. Maybe you could make it show up when you enable it in the settings instead? That should fix things, I think.
Satoshi said... It happens to me as well. Maybe you could make it show up when you enable it in the settings instead? That should fix things, I think.
 Hm.. I have a problem with this approach, because I'd like to keep it enabled by default. But what worries me much more is why a piece  of code that has never been touched starts to misbehave: this makes the release process really a pain..
Just out of curiosity: does the APK I built yesterday for the HW keyboard problem solve this problem?

s84606 said... Hm.. I have a problem with this approach, because I'd like to keep it enabled by default. But what worries me much more is why a piece  of code that has never been touched starts to misbehave: this makes the release process really a pain..
Just out of curiosity: does the APK I built yesterday for the HW keyboard problem solve this problem?

Thanks. I just installed this version and tested in review mode. I only had 2 reviews so I entered it wrong, clicked "X", got pop up. If you exit out and restart the session, enter wrong, "X", it'll pop up again. 

So it appears that you will get it once for every review session, the first time the "X" is clicked. If you click it a second time during that current review session and you've clicked "X" once already, no popup.

I think occasionally I restart review sessions because of shuffling -- maybe that's why I'm seeing it more. It's basically the first time every review session.
s84606 said...
roycorduroy said... Sorry to request another feature, but is there anyway to have the SRS level displayed during reviews?
There's something wrong with the way Android runs the SRS animation: on my phone they appear, but after ~1 second.
I'll have a look: if it's something that can't be fixed on the app side, I'll ask Viet...

Sorry, I actually meant what SRS level it's currently at before you level up or level down.

Thanks for the reply!
s84606 said... Hi, I can't promise much because android apps have somewhat limited control over the soft keyboard.
However here's a tentative APK:
You'll have to explicitly enable the option "Settings/HW Keyboard" (Reviews section), which will of course be disabled by default.
I could not test it properly because I don't have an external keyboard, so there might be cases where it will popup anyway...

Seems to work for the most part but makes the screen update issue worse.
tekchic said...So it appears that you will get it once for every review session, the first time the "X" is clicked. If you click it a second time during that current review session and you've clicked "X" once already, no popup.
 Ok. I believe the preferences file got corrupted. Probably not the most robust feature in Android. This APK should solve the problem, according to some suggestions on the web:
     https://www.dropbox.com/s/7v4oiebid472de0/WaniKaniMobile-1.12.2-rc0.apk
If it does not, let me know: I'll distribute another APK that discards the feature entirely. Besides if someone has this problem with a rooted device, I'd really like to see how the preferences file looks like.
Other features:
  • Added button that enables reading/meaning pairings (it is the "1" button below the mute btn). It's available also when WK Review Order is not active. It can be enabled and disabled multiple times during reviews. Consequently I've removed that feature from the WK Review Order;
  • SRS info shall appear immediately during reviews. I've removed the animation because on some devices it did not work properly
  • Implemented @roycorduroy's fine suggestion (I really like this feature): during reviews you'll see a small box on the left of the answer box. The color reflects the current item level, according to WK standard conventions.
Being the next RC, any feedback is appreciated (I'd like to publish it by the end of the week, since that dialog msg constantly popping up must be a nuisance for a lot of people)

CuZnDragon said...
s84606 said...          https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5etxdum9kb5e97/WaniKaniMobile-1.12.1-keyb0.apk

Which issue? Plenty of them ;) 

Thanks so much for the quick update. It seems to be working nicely for me once I got the hang of remembering to click the “1” for pairing meaning/reading :)

I’ll try to do my reviews primarily on my phone today and let you know if there’s anything that stands out. I used it last night and briefly this morning and didn’t have any issues.

Thanks!

CuZnDragon said...
s84606 said...          https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5etxdum9kb5e97/WaniKaniMobile-1.12.1-keyb0.apk

Which issue? Plenty of them ;) 
 Where after you answer (right or wrong) and click to go to the next it either doesn't update the the kanji/vocab/radical, how to answer, or both.  I usually have to do something that causes a screen refresh to get it to update correctly.
tekchic said... Thanks so much for the quick update. It seems to be working nicely for me once I got the hang of remembering to click the "1" for pairing meaning/reading :)
Good. Thank you for the extensive testing :) 
In a later release I may make the "1" setting persistent across reviews: it is not completely trivial (there's a race condition to avoid), so I won't be able to make it available now.

CuZnDragon said...
 Where after you answer (right or wrong) and click to go to the next it either doesn't update the the kanji/vocab/radical, how to answer, or both.  I usually have to do something that causes a screen refresh to get it to update correctly.
Oh, I did not know of this issue. Someone reported me that it is sometimes slow when pressing the "next" button: maybe the reason is the same, but it's something on which I can't do much, in any case.
Given the sympthoms you describe, it is a problem at Android (WebView) level, which I can only hope to alleviate by trial and error.
Possible tests are:
- Checking the CPU usage percentage when this happens: when the app is not in foreground, it must reach zero after a few seconds;
- Enabling/Disabling WaniKani Improve
- Disabling "Timer reaper" (this could even worsen the problem, but also in that case it's good to know) -- has effect only on long review sessions
- Check if the number of threads is constantly increasing, if you can -- again this can be checked during long reviews
- Enabling HW acceleration.. it is currently disabled because of an issue with some devices. I will give you a special APK when I release 1.12.2

Hi,

I am trying to find a way of installing this app on my Kindle  Fire HD. I got the .APK file but when I try to install it I get a ‘Parsing Error’. Anyone else had this issue? This method seemed to work for other Android apps that are not available on the Amazon Store.

Chris.