WaniKani Mobile - [End of Support]

CuZnDragon said...
 Where after you answer (right or wrong) and click to go to the next it either doesn't update the the kanji/vocab/radical, how to answer, or both.  I usually have to do something that causes a screen refresh to get it to update correctly.
Oh, I did not know of this issue. Someone reported me that it is sometimes slow when pressing the "next" button: maybe the reason is the same, but it's something on which I can't do much, in any case.
Given the sympthoms you describe, it is a problem at Android (WebView) level, which I can only hope to alleviate by trial and error.
Possible tests are:
- Checking the CPU usage percentage when this happens: when the app is not in foreground, it must reach zero after a few seconds;
- Enabling/Disabling WaniKani Improve
- Disabling "Timer reaper" (this could even worsen the problem, but also in that case it's good to know) -- has effect only on long review sessions
- Check if the number of threads is constantly increasing, if you can -- again this can be checked during long reviews
- Enabling HW acceleration.. it is currently disabled because of an issue with some devices. I will give you a special APK when I release 1.12.2

Not sure how to view some of the info but well try it.  I am running on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 4.0.x android.  It is rooted.

How do you use the ignore button in the app? I can’t see to find it, if it helps I use the Samsung galaxy note 8 tablet

iamoyashiro said... How do you use the ignore button in the app? I can't see to find it, if it helps I use the Samsung galaxy note 8 tablet
 it shows up as an x on the far left of the buttons (iirc)
Cjtsmith said...I am trying to find a way of installing this app on my Kindle  Fire HD. I got the .APK file but when I try to install it I get a 'Parsing Error'. Anyone else had this issue? This method seemed to work for other Android apps that are not available on the Amazon Store.

I'm sorry, I have no experience with Kindle Fire, so I can give you no useful advices. Of course if you need different flags in the manifest file or other, feel free to ask and I'll give you personalized APKs.

CuZnDragon said...
Not sure how to view some of the info but well try it.  I am running on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 4.0.x android.  It is rooted.

Yeah, of course some things can be checked only if you have the android toolkit: I asked just in case you had it.
Here's a specialized APK that contains the features of 1.12.2 and enables HW acceleration:
   https://www.dropbox.com/s/bzckeka6rncjajo/WaniKaniMobile-1.12.2-hwkeyb0.apk
If you want, you can give it a try...

SamusAranX said...
iamoyashiro said... How do you use the ignore button in the app? I can't see to find it, if it helps I use the Samsung galaxy note 8 tablet
 it shows up as an x on the far left of the buttons (iirc)
 Thanks!

Hi all, time for a new experimental APK series. Hopefully the last big thing I’ll write myself  – though contributions are always welcome.
The app keeps now a local db to cache all the items downloaded so far. It should make the item browser much faster and is also beneficial when building the reviews timeline:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7fx5hu5g5fmllpm/WaniKaniMobile-1.13.0pre0-pers0.apk

Other features:
 - Re-enables HW acceleration – it was disabled because some devices did not render web pages correctly. In these cases you can still disable it
- It fixes a bug reported to me through Google play (thanks to whoever sent it), causing a crash when adjusting the level graph

Thanks.

s84606 said... Hi all, time for a new experimental APK series. Hopefully the last big thing I'll write myself  -- though contributions are always welcome.
The app keeps now a local db to cache all the items downloaded so far. It should make the item browser much faster and is also beneficial when building the reviews timeline:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7fx5hu5g5fmllpm/WaniKaniMobile-1.13.0pre0-pers0.apk

Other features:
 - Re-enables HW acceleration -- it was disabled because some devices did not render web pages correctly. In these cases you can still disable it
- It fixes a bug reported to me through Google play (thanks to whoever sent it), causing a crash when adjusting the level graph

Thanks

Most works fine.      It crashes when I try to display any of the newer graphs ie timelines, chart to japanese tests, etc.
CuZnDragon said...

Most works fine.      It crashes when I try to display any of the newer graphs ie timelines, chart to japanese tests, etc.
 Thank you! You report saves me a lot of troubles :)
Would you mind trying this one?
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbr4jgcsn0uean0/WaniKaniMobile-1.13.0pre0-pers1.apk
It does not fix anything, but it should show a message with some diagnostics I need to identify the problem
s84606 said...
CuZnDragon said...

Thank you! You report saves me a lot of troubles :)
Would you mind trying this one?
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbr4jgcsn0uean0/WaniKaniMobile-1.13.0pre0-pers1.apk
It does not fix anything, but it should show a message with some diagnostics I need to identify the problem
 This is a screenshot of the trace info

CuZnDragon said...

Thanks. I think this fixes it:
     https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjkm6zgean1g9i1/WaniKaniMobile-1.13.0rc0-pers1.apk
In addition, it adds HTTPS support and fixes that strange artifact in the default gravatar.
BTW is HW acceleration beneficial for the review update issue?

s84606 said...
CuZnDragon said...

In addition, it adds HTTPS support and fixes that strange artifact in the default gravatar.

Will try this and let you know.  Yes the HW acceleration does help on that.  The only issue I have with the HW acceleration is when I have it display the info on the radical/kanji/vocab it some times doesn't display everything and i have to scroll the screen or someting to cause it to do a screen refresh.  

On another issue I have been seeing is I can only play the audio once for each time after I answer a vocab.
s84606 said...
CuZnDragon said...

Yes, this fixes the graphs issue.
CuZnDragon said...  Will try this and let you know.  Yes the HW acceleration does help on that.  The only issue I have with the HW acceleration is when I have it display the info on the radical/kanji/vocab it some times doesn't display everything and i have to scroll the screen or someting to cause it to do a screen refresh.  
Sorry, I notice this answer only now. Yes, HW acceleration is known to be buggy on Android: that's why I disabled it some months ago. Some phones behave oddily.

On another issue I have been seeing is I can only play the audio once for each time after I answer a vocab.
 I'll check if I can reproduce it. Sounds like a WK problem to me, especially if this happens with the stock Android browser too.

Hi all, thanks to @Viet, WaniKani now fully supports HTTPS.
You can ask WK Mobile to stop using cleartext HTTP by selecting Settings/Use HTTPS: it may be a bit slower but that’s the price of security :slight_smile:
Could you please try enabling it on your devices, so if you encounter any problems I can fix them before HTTPS becomes mandatory?

Thanks!

Seems to work fine for me. (Android 2.3)

I quickly checked reviews, lessons, forum, stats  -  looks good to me too (Android 4.4.2)

Hello again,

I changed phones yet again. I’m on a stock nexus 5 and think I’ll stay with it.

One problem I’m having is that I’m in full screen mode and have completely lost my ability to access app settings. There is simply no button to do this- no hard button, and the soft buttons are only back, home and app switcher.

Maybe I’m wrong but I could swear previous versions also added a soft button for settings.

Anyway thanks for your continued work on this app!

Eh OK so I force closed the app and reopened it, since its not in full screen mode yet I still have access to settings. Guess that’s good enough for me :slight_smile:

Thank you @Narmora and @malcolmafraser… Hopefully this transition won’t be that traumatic…

johnnystarfish said…
Eh OK so I force closed the app and reopened it, since its not in full screen mode yet I still have access to settings. Guess that’s good enough for me :slight_smile:
I could never understand Google’s crusade against the menu button… My device is quite old and still has hardware buttons, and I can’t emulate your device properly, so I can’t easly reproduce your problem.
Apparently apps should create their own menu buttons when they go fullscreen (and declare they support the action bar): I still have to find an intuitive way to do it without wasting too much space.
Fortunately you should be able to exit the browser by using the back button in most cases, so at least you don’t have to kill the browser… 

I’ve been using this app for a month and  a half or so now, and it’s mostly perfect, respect. There are two things that bother me though, 1. when doing reviews, after getting a correct answer, scrolling down and clicking on ‘see all information’, then scrolling all the way back up, the answer box is displaced weirdly, usually over the text that says reading or meaning. And 2. this is something that started happening only a few days ago, in the statistics part, in the pie chart with total statistics of learned items, for some reason there are now burned items (I don’t have any burned items yet) and they’re always exactly the same amount as enlightened ones. Must be some kind of glitch, I guess.

Again thanks for the app, great stuff!