WaniKani Mobile - [End of Support]

Just wanted to drop by and express my gratitude for the implementation of the input filtering I suggested. I did 600+ reviews today that I had backlogged and using the app feels better than ever. Thanks for listening to our suggestions.

I think the persistent notifications zapped my battery. It died much earlier than usual and I hardly used my phone at all.

SamusAranX said...First, I didn't opt in the anything, but my notifications are behaving differently.
That's unintended, and most probably a bug. If you don't check Settings/Persistent notifications, notifications should behave exactly as before. If you check it, then you will always have exactly one notification at a time.

When I look at my notifications, the two reviews and lessons notifications keep removing and adding themselves, and when I want to remove them, they come back even though I had the update time set to 10 minutes.
Ok. This is the big problem. I'm trying to reproduce it but it's quite difficult. Just to make things clear: do you actually have reviews and lessons, when it's showing them?

Next, I never clicked on either notification. I went to my home sceen and clicked on the app and it took me to my lessons page. Perhaps I was there last time I left the app though.
I've not changed anything in this scenario, so I suppose you were on the lessons page when you left them. That would be expected behaviour.

Next, when I'm in the app and I click the home button, the app gets sent to the "all running apps" view instead of going to my home. It isn't doing it at the moment, but it was doing it for a few times after I noticed it took me straight to my lessons.
Hmm.. might be a side effect of the app running at full CPU.

I don't see why persistent notifications would be a good thing, and hopefully the app isn't continuously communicating with the WK servers. I don't see any option in the app to opt out either.
While I try to reproduce/fix this, just to make your phone usable again, you can:
  • Try enabling persistent notifications: this uses a different algorithm that may not be affected by this bug
  • Downgrade to the latest app store version. Depending on the OS version, you might not be able to downgrade; if so, please tell me and I'll give you an APK with greater version code but without persistent notification.
EDIT: I could not find any way to reproduce this bug. Could you please help me identifying it? Here's a diagnostic APK:
        https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jmmx6h921283o0/WaniKaniMobile-1.15.0pre1-dbg0.apk
It shall behave exactly like 1.15.0, but it also logs some debugging information I need. To see the log messages you can use e.g. aLogCat, and filter by the tag "WKM". You should be able to save those messages and publish them on the forum (or send them directly to me).  Make sure the file you are sharing is filtered by "WKM" and does not contain other apps' messages (they might contain sensitive information).  After that, if the app continues draining the battery, you can downgrade to 1.14.1 with this APK (the version code is larger that the previous APK, so it should install ok).
             https://www.dropbox.com/s/mn4qd9mthfpjapu/WaniKaniMobile-1.14.1-118.apk
Thanks!

I had a bunch of lessons and a bunch of reviews. I rebooted my phone and I finished all my reviews earlier this morning. The lessons notifications aren’t doing anything weird. Also, I had just exited vacation mode a couple of days ago, and hadn’t done anything until this morning.

I’ll have time to help debug next weekend.

nice

Hello,

This is a really great app. Thanks for writing and sharing it.

Would you consider adding an option to show whether a kanji is asking for the ON or the KUN reading during reviews.

In the same way as this this user script.

/t/Wanikani-KunOn-101-Kunyomi-or-Onyomi-instead-of-Reading-No-longer-supported/3883/1

Thanks again.

Howard.

hoovard said...Would you consider adding an option to show whether a kanji is asking for the ON or the KUN reading during reviews.

In the same way as this this user script.

/t/Wanikani-KunOn-101-Kunyomi-or-Onyomi-instead-of-Reading-No-longer-supported/3883/1
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I had a look at the script, and it seems fairly simple to integrate. I'll try incorporating it into the app and, unless I encounter some unexpected problem, I'll release it in an experimental APK.
s84606 said... Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I had a look at the script, and it seems fairly simple to integrate. I'll try incorporating it into the app and, unless I encounter some unexpected problem, I'll release it in an experimental APK.
 Oh, fantastic. Thanks very much.

H.
hoovard said...
s84606 said... Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I had a look at the script, and it seems fairly simple to integrate. I'll try incorporating it into the app and, unless I encounter some unexpected problem, I'll release it in an experimental APK.
 Ok, here's the APK:
   https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0kggttdf3h0bdt/WaniKaniMobile-1.15.0rc0.apk
Seems to work reasonably well, but needs some testing..
s84606 said...
hoovard said...
 Ok, here's the APK:
 I have tested it a bit and the progress bars aren't working correctly.   I just started level 11 and did the initial review of the radicals and kanjis and the progress bar is showing that I have gurued the 100% already.

Never mind figured out the change in the progress bar.

Thanks
s84606 said...
hoovard said...
 Ok, here's the APK:
 Thanks for making the apk so quickly.

I'm not sure if I will be able to test it for a while, I just got sent abroad for work (not Japan unfortunately)... also I'm not sure how to install an apk but I'm sure google will provide the answer.

Sorry I can't try it right away.

H.

Would it be possible to add the “Part of Speech” userscript?

sackboy97 said... Would it be possible to add the "Part of Speech" userscript?
I'll try: from a quick look I did not notice anything problematic, except its size.. it's really huge :)

Thanks so much for adding the ON/KUN functionality. My phone just updated the app and it is in there.

It works great. Awesome.

Thanks again.

H

This is so fantastic! It’s made wanikani a hundred times better for me. :) 

I’ve always had problems with the mobile version of wani kani (browser) typing-wise (would double characters and what not…)
I love the easy access to statistics and time left… In fact, I think i’ll be using it on my phone 100% of the time now, rather than on my computer.

I really appreciate it, thank you so much. I even feel the need to get a tablet now, haha. :slight_smile:

sackboy97 said... Would it be possible to add the "Part of Speech" userscript?
 Ok, here's an experimental APK that implements this feature:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fstiun2ed430jq8/WaniKaniMobile-1.15.1rc0.apk
A few notes:
  • The script won't work with Android < 2.2.3. Hopefully this is so old that it won't be an issue. If it is, please let me know and I'll distribute an alternate APK specifically for those versions (it will be a lot bigger).
  • The script is unusually large, so it may create some problems to older/smaller devices. On the other hand, I'd like to keep it enabled by default (it's a big improvement), so if you notice anything strange, please report!
  • In addition, this APK fixes a bug causing progress bars to look strange on some devices

Seems to work fine on a Galaxy S3 with 4.2.2.

Thanks for this!

Thanks a lot, it works great! :smiley:

I very much appreciate your continued support for this app dev. Thank you! I wanted to request that the notification that appears (that says items ready to review and unlock) open the app home instead of go right into the reviews. 

If I click on the notification I may want to unlock items and have to go home in order to do so… it just makes more sense to me that it would let you choose. If it’s possible - perhaps tie it in with the option in Settings “Persistent notifications - Make notification icon persistent, showing useful info”.  Because when this is on, a user may want to review, or unlock, or check and see if there are current items to review if they are short on time, not necessarily hop right into reviewing. 

onepartninja said...If I click on the notification I may want to unlock items and have to go home in order to do so... it just makes more sense to me that it would let you choose. If it's possible - perhaps tie it in with the option in Settings "Persistent notifications - Make notification icon persistent, showing useful info".  Because when this is on, a user may want to review, or unlock, or check and see if there are current items to review if they are short on time, not necessarily hop right into reviewing. 
I agree: in persistent mode, when the user taps on the notification message, the app has to guess what he/she wants to do, and of course it may guess wrong.
I think the easiest thing to do is to add a new option, enabled only when "Persistent notifications" is checked (I see no ambiguity in "traditional mode").

EDIT: Turned out to be pretty trivial, so here's the APK:
                    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zf9g1zqxx1md3dt/WaniKaniMobile-1.15.1rc1.apk
Let me know if it corresponds to what you were thinking