WaniKani Content Overhaul

Ooh, the size limit on uploads has been upped too? Is that new?
It’s the Content Overhaul that keeps on giving :tada:

1 Like

A lot of thought and effort was put into delivering this transition, thanks!

2 Likes

I think it’s always been 4096kb but I never realized it also applies to external sources if they go over. I’ve fixed my grave error. :pensive: :pray:

I liked pelican, nailbat and antenna - now it’s seems difficult for me :frowning:

I like the new changes. The meanings of most radicals are now much closer to their actual meaning in relation to the Kanji they are used it. That is also why it rubbed me the wrong way that 歹 changed from “Bad” to “Yakuza”. I mean, most people know the Yakuza, but all people learning on this site know the word “bad” and it is far more accurate to it’s actual use in the Kanji.

2 Likes

Now the question is… Do I reset or not… hmmmm.

2 Likes

Not only that but I would say that Yakuza is actually offensive, especially to Japanese people.

F1n4lly 1’ll b3 4bl3 70 7yp3 1n 4ll my 4n5w3r5 1n l337 5p34k

1 Like

What makes you say that.

1 Like

RIP nailbat, you will always be part of my Japanese learning history

2 Likes

Thanks for decreasing the pop culture references!
But I will miss Pelican, Water Slide, Grave, and Sunflower.

1 Like

happened to me, too… lvl 27 suddenly got a new radical.

in some instances, i wonder why mnemonics have been rewritten, they’re basically the same thing, just slightly reworded. didn’t seem to make sense to me. “the shogun invites you” / “the one who invites you is the shogun” - 暇だったねえw

3 Likes

I noticed some oddness in the reading explanations doing lessons this morning but didn’t really pick up on the change until one of the radicals in the mnemonic had a different name. “Soul? Are we just pretending now we never called that fish stick? Heyyy, wait a minute here, a lot of these are different.” :smile:

At least you admitted it with a big announcement. Would have been much funnier to just silently change them and then watch the chaos.

2 Likes

lol yeah… imagine the forums if this had been a ninja update. :sunny:

3 Likes

You have done an amazing job, as well as the dev time. It’s not often you get to see an update so flawlessly performed with such a great feedback from the team. The new radicals I’ve seen are awesome, and I look forward to learning the rest. Job well done! Tell that to the team as well! I’m deeply impressed…

5 Likes

“Admitted it” makes it sound like this wasn’t known to be in the works for like, over a year.

1 Like

I know, that’s why it would be twice as funny to just do it and then be like “What? Oh that? Oh yeah, we did edit a couple of things.”

Yay, excited!

I’m not sure what logic was used to come to that conclusion. I’m from Seattle, and I’ve never seen or heard of a yurt before. But just because I haven’t heard about it before, doesn’t mean other people from my area shouldn’t know either.

But that’s not the case for some kanji like left, right, and stone. I learned them a couple levels ago and haven’t used their on’yomi yet, so it’s more than a day’s gap. (sadface)

1 Like