WaniKani Content Overhaul

Oh ok thanks for that. So an account reset only “removes” the old ones from view, i.e a new account could type in an old meaning and get it right?

Got to enjoy sub-100 apprentice for the first time in forever, until all these ‘new’ radicals :angry:
That was a pretty nice… 10 seconds. :cry:

2 Likes

Correct. We created a special whitelist just to account for these radical name changes so anyone can enter the old names and still get them right.

Hopefully we can use this whitelist for more good (UK spellings, accepting numerals perhaps).

4 Likes

I thought I was losing my mind trying to get reading for 祭 right. @anon20839864, when you say the list of the kanjis affected will be ready in the morning, what time zone do you have in mind? Also, will it be just a list or will it be possible to re-learn them like the radicals?

Also, I don’t really get the reasoning for renaming most of the radicals. I kind of understand why you dropped Two face, Ent. I also see why Chopsticks turned into Ladle (even though I wouldn’t really appreciate it until I reach level 44). But Waterslide/Scooter? Or Helmet/Roof? I don’t think these are really culture-dependent. The new and old mnemonics using those radicals are of comparable quality and sometimes even very similar (Turkey scrapes its shin either because of Waterslide or a Scooter). Am I missing anything?

1 Like

The on’yomi reading display hint box that pops up on kanji won’t go away on my reviews? Not an immediate concern just, wanted to point out.

1 Like

PST and just a list for now. I can talk to the devs, but I don’t know if it’s feasible to build another tool (or even if they could?).

We wanted those to be closer to the meanings they bring to the kanji they’re in. The original meaning for 宀 is… roof. It’s used in kanji that way too: 室 院 宿 館, all of those mnemonics are better for it.

Waterslide became scooter because 1. it’s easier to see, and 2. it’s supposed to imply movement of some kind. Again, this helps all of the mnemonics overall.

That was the general thinking: change things to make remembering the kanji easier.

4 Likes

Does this still happen when all of your third-party scripts are turned off? If so, send us an email: hello@wanikani.com!

Where will I be without Mullets, Longcats and Boob graves?

1 Like

@anon20839864 You’ve been playing PR/Help Desk too many hours. Take a nap. Tag in @viet something.
Might need to inform HR about @koichi’s sweat shop work environment. What was that HR ladies name again… :thinking:

6 Likes

2 Likes

The force reorder script is not working for me now. Do I complain about that here or in another thread? Anyone else having this problem? Using Chrome on a Mac.
Setting my account to vacation mode until this is sorted out.

Hah. I’m just anxious about all of this and can’t sleep. Might as well help people since I can’t help myself. ¯\_(シ)_/¯

7 Likes

Definitely in the thread you found it in, not here. :+1:

1 Like

Got it, thanks! Also - I believe currently it’s only possible to downgrade “burned” into “apprentice” by resurrecting them while it would be useful if it was possible to downgrade any card to any lower level. Such a feature would also solve the problem at hand - I would be able to go and downgrade any Kanji with onyomis that I haven’t learned yet.

@anon20839864 thank you for all your hard work making this update as smooth as possible for all of us (and thanks dev team as well!).
I’m amazed by your patience in handling everyone’s complaints too. Hats off

10 Likes

Pretty sure the devs have something like this in the works, but I have no clue what the timeframe might be. (We’re thinking about it though!)

3 Likes

At least hard gay lifes forever

1 Like

Y’all. You have snuck in one of my :key: :clap: Key Words :clap: :key: in this update. My Wanikani experience is now complete.

%E5%AE%9D%E7%9F%B3

4 Likes

Damn, I am now stuck on my current level for four more days, since there are 3 new radicals now. Was excited for the level up tomorrow but oh well… cn’t be helped I guess.

Thanks for your hard work!

1 Like

I’ve noticed that the kanji meaning for 康 has changed from “Health” to “Ease” / “Peace”. Unlike with radicals, entering the old answer for 康 does not register as correct.

Are there any other kanji meanings that have changed in this way? Why was this change made? I understand that WK’s radicals are largely made up and defined by the staff, but I’d have thought this wouldn’t necessarily be the case for the kanji meanings.

1 Like