WaniKani Content Overhaul

They’re definitely ones I’ve learned before, such as the radical that used to be “Chester” but is now “Scarecrow”

Glad they added a radical to differ between 郎 and 限. Using “good” was too confusing for both since they look very similar.

1 Like

Hmm, maybe it’s a bug then. You might want to ping one of the devs or email them so they can double check.

Chester became Bully: 鬲

Scarecrow is new: 畐

4 Likes

Do I have to relearn the old radicals? Started up my lessons and it shows that I have 14 radicals from 14 different levels.

1 Like

They aren’t old, they’re new. We added 14 new radicals and 5 new vocabulary words.

1 Like

Reread the announcement to make sure I read it correctly; yeah, I think I’m either being blind or misunderstanding something here.

Thanks for the clarification. Like I said, I was misunderstanding something. Guess I was expecting that menu to appear like the announcement said, but it’s probably for people who haven’t learned their current level’s kanji or are lower leveled (that’s just a uniformed guess on my part, though).

Honestly though, are we sure that the real reason they got rid of the mullet radical wasn’t that-

A member of the staff had a mullet that they loved very much, but the mullet betrayed them, and now they have a bone-deep prejudice against all mullets, which drove them to remove as many traces of mullets as they possibly could?

I mean, it’s not impossible, right?

8 Likes

I’m loving the update so far, great job !!

Radical more aligned with their kanji meaning are maybe a bit more difficult to learn at first, but I’m sure it’s paying off with a much stronger interconnection with the kanji world. Like, for example, it has been bothered me for YEARS that 刂"ribs" classical radical is knife, because it look like a freaking knife and so many kanji with刂are about cut / separation / division. Now it’s fixed, yay :grin:

2 questions for the staff :

1. There is still quite a lot of kanji which explode in 4 or more radicals while they are obviously composed with one kanji previously learned + something else. For example :

務 → 霧
徴 → 懲
解 → 蟹
死 → 葬
蒦 → 獲 穫 護

Are you going to continue to introduce a few more radicals where it make sense ?

And sometimes there is also some entire series of kanji containing the same subkanji (with often the same onyami) like for example :
利 → 莉 痢 梨
Maybe worth to turn 利 into a radical ?

1. Most of the new mnemonic are very short and to the point. E.g

刑 : “Destroy a lantern with your knife and you’ll be punished”
郎 : “Inside the “Good Building” there’s a single guy.”

Can also be seen as quite dry and a departure from WK style of sprawling vivid story. This seems to be a clear choice, so what motivated you to use this style ? (Personally I have really no clue from a memory standpoint which is better. Did you find some study or had some feedback/experience to back up ?)

5 Likes

I apologize if this has already been explained, but were new kanji added? I’m almost done with level 14, would be leveling up tomorrow if I get everything right, but suddenly I had several new radicals and 3 new kanji.

Were they from a different level? Or is this something to do with the content overhaul?

From what I’ve been told, no. They only added 14 new radicals and 5 vocab in the update, so they’re probably only meant to be better used for some kanji that could’ve used one as a radical (for better mnemonics) instead of new kanji.

Keep in mind, this is a very rough explanation; but, you should be good unless someone else says otherwise.

The changes are looking good on my end… Excellent job WaniKani team!

3 Likes

I suddenly have quite a lot of radicals from several levels ago, eg Elephant from level 13(!) - is this a known issue and/or will it be looked into? Should I be putting a hold on my lesson queue so these old radicals don’t go into my reviews for now?

Is there some way to force the new meanings so that the old ones marked wrong? (without an account reset)

If it’s a new radical, it’s going to show up in your queue.

1 Like

That radical is new. Nothing is wrong with your account.

Elephant became Task: 用 (same as kanji)

Elephant is new: 象 (same as kanji)

So they aren’t as easy to mix up.

5 Likes

The old radical names will not be marked wrong even if you reset. I guess you could do this with a third-party app/script/extension somehow, but we won’t be supporting that.

1 Like

Oh, thanks for the quick explanation! Evidently my brain just conflated the old and new ones and had a panic attack.

Well, time to power through my lessons!

@leebo yep just my brain being stupid apparently.

The banner disappeared off the dashboard for some reason, but I woke Viet up and it should be there again. Hopefully things are less confusing now.