WaniKani Content Overhaul

Just wanted to say I really like most of the changes, especially always putting on’yomi first. As for Sauron, I’m also glad it changed becuase my phone doesn’t recognize it as a word :sweat_smile:. It might take me a while to relearn pine though, because grain and sickle look similar and also now have names that are words I associate with eachother making it easy to confuse them.

2 Likes

Excuse me for asking - but how do you resurrect kanji/vocab? Is it with a user script or is it built into WK once you hit the higher levels/subscribe?

Once you burn an item, a button appears that lets you bring it back as an apprentice item.

You could theoretically burn items without subscribing but it takes a minimum of six months IIRC.

1 Like

The said they wouldn’t, because they will no longer update the old mnemonics.

Yes I have, I might switch back eventually but Glias posted these super cute pictures and I just had to put this one on for a while! Nyaa

1 Like

It’s a great question, because like many things here, there is a supported way that is a bit cumbersome and a way through a user script that works very well for users like me.

Built into WK is a way that only allows item-by-item resurrection (as someone already stated)… I recommend bookmarking the following script for later use:

[Userscript] Burn Manager (Review / Resurrect / Retire)

This script can probably eliminate the need for level reset for most users. I like this because it allows me to reset old items level-by-level, while keeping the upper level un-burned items in the mix as well.

4 Likes

I think that the mmemonic for 履 has changed, even though none of the radicals have been renamed. Furthermore, there is no ‘old mnemonic’ tab for this available. Is this an error or am I mistaking?

Looks like they changed the り mnemonics to use “reed” now. These are normal content changes and like any other normal update there’d be no way to see the old version.

1 Like

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1368384493 Check this link if you need the old ones.

This is a good excuse for me to reset because over 1111 reviews and 600 lessons are waiting :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Skipping all your vocab lessons?

2 Likes

Somewhere in this thread Kristen or Koichi said that it’s something they’re considering already (or did they just say it was something they’d definitely consider? - can’t remember, but either way, the suggestion has already been noted).

1 Like

Hi Kristen! I’m sure this overhaul must’ve been a tonne of work for you – congrats on getting it released! I’m a big fan of these changes, especially the ones that bring radicals that are also entire kanji into alignment (I always find I’ve managed to forget the original radical when it pops back up in reviews weeks later!). I also like the change to bring radicals used as semantic components more into line with their meanings, like the ⺘ radical – I’ve often been learning these meanings for radicals anyway, as my dictionary app shows the graphical evolution of them a lot of the time.

I’ve gone ahead and added all of the radicals back into the relearning queue, so I’m all in on the new ones now. Onwards to our glorious, D.O.R.Cified future!

9 Likes

Ha, this is exactly the one I was thinking of earlier when I said I started to see some odd things in the lessons, before I figured out something changed.

“You remember Beck’s grandfather” Uh, no? I don’t remember that? But ok. [presses “I believe” button, moves on]

3 Likes

How long before the big pink banner goes away? That’s obnoxious. Can we get a X to dismiss it?

6 Likes

Can we get a kanji/on’yomi re-learning tool too?

I love the changes and the radical re-learning tool, but I’m level 12 and there are several updated kanji I barely know the on’yomi of (maybe used in one vocab word so far) and there are some where I don’t think I’ve ever seen the on’yomi yet at all. These:

石 4 いし → せき
池 8 いけ → ち
投 8 な → とう
持 9 も → じ
受 9 う → じゅ
伝 11 つた → でん

Would be great to go back and learn these properly!

9 Likes

I think I’ll need to save your post, mainly for 石 and 受

Yeah, I was just noticing I’m finding 投手 really hard to learn because of that, failing it a lot. I guess I don’t mind, though, got to learn it some time.

2 Likes

You’ll become intimately familiar with じゅ for 受 soon enough. :slight_smile:
(especially if like me you have a couple meaning-related leeches using 受 :laughing:)

Just remember if you THROW something at your TOE (とう), first of all, you’re a very bad PITCHER, second - you better hope you’re wearing SHOES (しゅ)

4 Likes