[Userscript]: WaniKani Ultimate Timeline

Oh wait…did Console thing straight from WaniKani. This is what it shows:

The message is not relevant to Ultimate Timeline. There is no software error occurring.

Ultimate Timeline should start automatically. There is no need to click on Tampermonkey. I wonder whether you accidentally disabled the script by clicking on Tamper monkey. Here is how the settings show show up.

First at the top of the dropdown it should show enabled.

Tampermonkey

Then next to Ultimate Timeline there is a slider button. It should be in the green position.

Tampermonkey

If these settings are in the wrong position your script is disabled.

Do you have a Scripts --> Settings submenu under the user menu?

Also, did you install Tampermonkey before or after installing Open Framework and Ultiimate Timeline? (Or both?)

I installed TamperMonkey before Ultimate Timeline, then Open Framework, but then I moved it to the top of the list. And no, I don’t have that Scripts Menu.

Edit: Even with this, now Ultimate Timeline shows up on my keyboard. I am confusion :joy:Thank you for your answer and your help!

Well, it says ‘enabled’ but then ‘no script is running’

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 7.25.17 am

It looks like your script didn’t install, or didn’t install properly. Let’s verify this.

Click on the Dashboard option in Tampermonkey. Go to the Installed Userscript tab. You should see a list of your installed script like this. Is Ultimate Timeline there? If don’t see it is not installed and this is your problem. You may try installing it again to see if this fixes the issue.

That page looks normal for me. The drop-down menu still doesn’t. But now, for some reason, I can see Ultimate Timeline on my dashboard. So it’s working! Thank you so much for your quick replies and your help! :blush:

1 Like

I am happy to hear this. The contents of the dropdown changes depending on which page you are looking at. If your are looking at wanikani Ultimate Timeline should show up. If you are looking at some other page like this forum it will not show up. Perhaps this explains this mystery.

1 Like

Would be nice if you could change the timezone. Both Tor Browser and Firefox (w/ resist fingerprinting on) report UTC timezone to the WaniKani servers+script; being able to manually change the time report to an accurate zone would help with study planning.

Lol… that defeats the point of that privacy feature.
Can’t it be turned off for trusted sites?

Not particularly. One could very easily make the argument that the whole slew of other things it resists fingerprints on, particularly the canvas is more important.

Did, and have reported it to Mozilla since Wanikani is still reporting UTC even w/ ETP disabled and having closed all browser sessions and reopened.

Interesting.

Maybe a better (more universal) solution would be a userscript that overrides the Date class, such as:

This isn’t useable for your purposes as-is, but it’s probably a good start for someone who wants to code it.

It would allow you to specify which sites will have the correct date.

1 Like

Thanks for your work on this

Hi,

how can I show that part below the graph that says “next review” “next hour” and “next day”?

That was part of the old Wanikani dashboard. Wanikani’s new “Review Forecast” replaced it.

I had to reinstall Tampermonkey scipts this morning and I forgot how to get rid of that grotesque Review Forecast panel. Could someone refresh my memory? I would reallly like the Ultimate Timeline to go all the way across the page as I have seen in some of the screenshots here.
Thanks!

Assuming this ended up working for you last time…

1 Like

I made Remove Useless Panels, but I don’t think it removes the forecast. Although maybe they added the class for that themselves (it’s just a style that adds display: none to the various WK panels)

2 Likes

Apologies: I’m not sure where best to ask coding questions, but since this one is expressly regarding this script I thought this might be the best place. I’m pretty inexperienced with javascript, so I was trying to understand (and steal ideas from) the ultimate timeline script.

I have.a very fundamental question regarding how you placed the timeline into the document in the place_timeline function. This line appears to be what’s inserting the <section> at the top of the page, but I don’t understand this syntax at all:

$('.progress-and-forecast').before(timeline);

I was expecting something using the querySelector method with prepend or it’s ilk. Is this even vanilla javascript? Could you explain how this syntax works and what it does exactly?

Thanks in advance for any help!

[Edit: Aha! I finally deployed enough google foo to figure out that this is jquery rather than vanilla javascript: jQuery - Selectors . I’ll leave this comment here in case it helps others, but please consider the question withdrawn. Thanks for a great script and useful coding example!]

1 Like

Hi @rfindley!

Just want to let you know that there’s a bug with the current version - the four buttons that appear after you click a bar have text colour #eeeeee so they appear invisible.
I tried editing the script myself but it seems the style information for those buttons is also used for the date and time and also the radicals/kanji/vocab, and I wasn’t able to figure out from the code I could see how to give them their own style information.

If you could fix this, and maybe also explain to me how you did it, I’d really appreciate it!

-Jai