[Userscript] WaniKani Just The Vocab (Skip Radicals and Kanji)

riya said... Petition for a script that changes all the posts on this forum into Minamix posts.
 I second this notion 
AngelTenshi said...
embe said...

Yeah, you're not funny. 3/10 Try again. 

It's just a choice of words. She thinks better than everybody because I assume she's JLPT level 1? 2? Which is really annoying. 
 If she were JLPT N1 she wouldn't do WaniKani or read easy reviews on Amazon for that matter. ;)
 But she did say she  doesn't really do Wani Kani because quote, "I believe SRS is actually not the best way to study Japanese.. I spend most of my time reading, writing, speaking, and listening to Japanese literally that's all I do no SRS attached.. it's just when I get bored or tired of that bc it's taxing then I do something more brain dead like SRS." 

If she's not that high a level, then I don't get why she was being so snarky about JLPT levels then. It really dosen't make sense if this were to happen:

" Well, what JPLT level are you?"
"Actually I'm 2."
" Oh lol, I thought you'd say 5, I'm 4."

But whatever, If I've made a mistake, my apologies~
 For some real discussion on things that really matter.. AH ...LEARNING JAPANESE.. I'd like to clear up the mystery as it seems lol I took a mock test of JLPT 3 and passed.. I'm prob. not going to take the real N3 bc it seems like a waste of time if I already passed it at home. When I use real study sources besides just reading or WK I aim for JLPT N3 and N2 grammar and N2 and N1 words.  I don't plan on taking lower than the N2 for the real exam. 
Kloivier said... my dream in life is to one day merit a mention as a 'weirdo 60' by minamix
 Likewise!
Kloivier said... my dream in life is to one day merit a mention as a 'weirdo 60' by minamix
Mine too. Gonna go do some reviews right now!

Self-Assessed N3, called it.

hinekidori said... Get all the Vocab  practice you could possibly want with the Core 10k in Anki modded to emulate WaniKani!

/t/So-Much-Vocab/12050/1

Shameless plug achieved ^_^

P.S. minamixdrops - your post is almost too much awesome.
 <3 wondering when you'd show up with that
Syphus said... Self-Assessed N3, called it.
 I highly doubt most ppl who are at level 60 here are above my knowledge level. I'll give it to you that some are but not most. When I read stuff like Youkai Watch (not the manga.. the episode guides) my dictionary tells me I am seeing N1 words constantly. My grammar sucks that is why I am mining Tobira for grammar but whatever. Besides there are so many ppl in the Level 20-30s on here just begging to reset to level 0 lol That I find it hard to believe many who made it to 60 didn't just forget everything. 

Not only is the JLPT not a vocab test, but those JLPT vocab lists are pretty bullshit in the first place. Case in point 切り the super rare N1 word .

Anyways, currently you are N-nothing and haven’t even ever shown any ability that you actually have any kind of decent knowledge of Japanese, you certainly don’t have any common sense though. So when you pass any JLPT test, then you can feel free to gloat, but until then you’re still stuck at the bottom rung of the ladder.

minamixdrops said...

there's also another weirdo 60 who love being funny but always give useful clue but i won't mention those weirdo right now〜

pfft xD

but also true

Syphus said... Not only is the JLPT not a vocab test, but those JLPT vocab lists are pretty bullshit in the first place. Case in point 切り the super rare N1 word .

Anyways, currently you are N-nothing and haven't even ever shown any ability that you actually have any kind of decent knowledge of Japanese, you certainly don't have any common sense though. So when you pass any JLPT test, then you can feel free to gloat, but until then you're still stuck at the bottom rung of the ladder.
 Thanks but in a way I only did start talking about the JLPT bc everyone uses it as a dumb measure of how good they are at Japanese.  So I thought it would mean something to someone. It doesn't mean all that much to me personally bc I have studied for so long and only recently took a practice test to see what level I am at (as a very loose measure)

I wish there was some way to prove who really is better at Japanese on here bc the Level system on here creates a false sense of security among individuals I see. 
forgottenmems said...
Syphus said... Not only is the JLPT not a vocab test, but those JLPT vocab lists are pretty bullshit in the first place. Case in point 切り the super rare N1 word .

Anyways, currently you are N-nothing and haven't even ever shown any ability that you actually have any kind of decent knowledge of Japanese, you certainly don't have any common sense though. So when you pass any JLPT test, then you can feel free to gloat, but until then you're still stuck at the bottom rung of the ladder.
 Thanks but in a way I only did start talking about the JLPT bc everyone uses it as a dumb measure of how good they are at Japanese.  So I thought it would mean something to someone. It doesn't mean all that much to me personally bc I have studied for so long and only recently took a practice test to see what level I am at (as a very loose measure)

I wish there was some way to prove who really is better at Japanese on here bc the Level system on here creates a false sense of security among individuals I see. 
 http://www.j-cat.org/

Gloating about passing any level of the JLPT is ridiculous, and it's cringe-worthy to see how it's help up as the gold standard for all around Japanese ability.  It's not.   No doubt you need knowledge of grammar, vocab, and even some listening skills.  But, very much like the TOEIC test, it has nothing to do with speaking.  And that is where the bragging is.  You cant read and type your way through a conversation with the boss.  

I work with people who are N2 level, a few who are N1 level.  Give them a document to read and they are usually fine, and conversing through emails is no issue.  Try having a legit conversation in Japanese with them?  lol.  lol.  lol.  On the flip side of that coin, I also know people who either have never taken the JPLT test and can't even read kanji at all, or are like N4-N3 but can speak with absolutely no issues and their Japanese is beautiful.   I also know many Japanese people with really high TOEIC tests (~800+)  who can't speak English for shit.

Anyhow, my point is that the JLPT tests for a certain set of skills.  Those skills, although great to have and essential to function here, aren't worthy of bragging like you're hot shit.  If you can't SPEAK the language, then in my book you aren't even remotely close to fluent.  

I used the pronoun "you" a lot, I realize, and want to make it clear that "You" is for anyone reading this, not Syphus or anyone else in particular.

/rant
kairu said...

Gloating about passing any level of the JLPT is ridiculous, and it's cringe-worthy to see how it's help up as the gold standard for all around Japanese ability.  It's not.   No doubt you need knowledge of grammar, vocab, and even some listening skills.  But, very much like the TOEIC test, it has nothing to do with speaking.  And that is where the bragging is.  You cant read and type your way through a conversation with the boss.  

I work with people who are N2 level, a few who are N1 level.  Give them a document to read and they are usually fine, and conversing through emails is no issue.  Try having a legit conversation in Japanese with them?  lol.  lol.  lol.  On the flip side of that coin, I also know people who either have never taken the JPLT test and can't even read kanji at all, or are like N4-N3 but can speak with absolutely no issues and their Japanese is beautiful.   I also know many Japanese people with really high TOEIC tests (~800+)  who can't speak English for shit.

Anyhow, my point is that the JLPT tests for a certain set of skills.  Those skills, although great to have and essential to function here, aren't worthy of bragging like you're hot shit.  If you can't SPEAK the language, then in my book you aren't even remotely close to fluent.  

I used the pronoun "you" a lot, I realize, and want to make it clear that "You" is for anyone reading this, not Syphus or anyone else in particular.

/rant
 Right I agree.. but ppl were saying I was below N3 which I am not so I defended .. but anyhow good thing I practice speaking as well lol 
forgottenmems said...
 I highly doubt most ppl who are at level 60 here are above my knowledge level. I'll give it to you that some are but not most. When I read stuff like Youkai Watch (not the manga.. the episode guides) my dictionary tells me I am seeing N1 words constantly. My grammar sucks that is why I am mining Tobira for grammar but whatever. Besides there are so many ppl in the Level 20-30s on here just begging to reset to level 0 lol That I find it hard to believe many who made it to 60 didn't just forget everything. 
I was content with being passive aggressive but this is so, so snobbish and insulting to those who see the JLPT as something other than a social caste, which is pretty much everyone here but you. If your grammar sucks, then you're not good at Japanese, or at least not anywhere past beginner. It doesn't matter how many words you know. Accept the fact and get down from your high horse.
Also, those people have lives, or events outside of their control that have made them need to reset. That's nothing to be ashamed of at all. And, seeing as you've been here for like four years and are still lv 17, I don't think you have the right to insult anyone in the first place, especially since they've been using what time they have a lot more productively than you have. I seriously bet by the time I actually reach N3 you'll still be wasting time trying to convince people of how superior your Japanese is, and still suck at grammar.

kairu said...

A lot of stuff
/rant
Yes it has problems. And yes there are people who may be able to bullshit their way through the test (I'm looking at you Chinese people). But the fact remains there isn't any better general measure that exists.

Also I'm fairly certain that you just triggered deaf / mute people. Back when I first started Japanese, one of the most knowledgeable and helpful people I knew had severe problems speaking and listening because of his partial deafness, but was easily fluent.

I don’t do the triggering thing, that’s for you SJWs that need safe spaces.

If you can’t make a distinction between people who can’t speak Japanese because of their utter lack of ability and those who can’t because of a legitimate impairment, that’s your problem.

Take that bleeding heart bullshit elsewhere.

forgottenmems said...
 Something tells me you might have some trouble with the sections on humble language.
kairu said... I don't do the triggering thing, that's for you SJWs that need safe spaces. 
 Please don't.
riya said...
forgottenmems said...
 Something tells me you might have some trouble with the sections on humble language.
 ya think?!

also Hi! [hug]