[Userscript] WaniKani Just The Vocab (Skip Radicals and Kanji)

This is a collab between me and my boyfriend and is my one and only true contribution to this site lol I thought of the idea and he implemented it. I generally hate giving away weeks or months of work for free, but it was a tiny one day project and so I decided to upload it.

Description: Skips radicals and kanji by automatically and invisibly getting them right in your WaniKani reviews so that you only see vocabulary reviews. For those who feel that vocabulary is all that is necessary and just happen to like WaniKani’s interface and word list better than other SRS programs.

And the link: 
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/24615-wanikani-just-the-vocab-skip-radicals-and-kanji

Wow! For free?! So it must’ve taken your boyfriend less than 3 hours…? Or you guys are no longer broke?

Anyway, no thanks.

1 Like
EskimoJo said... Wow! For free?! So it must've taken your boyfriend less than 3 hours...? Or you guys are no longer broke?

Anyway, no thanks.
 Chuckle chuckle
1 Like

Anyway I can skip the vocab as well and just jump to level 60? I swear I’m N1.

I’m only level 3 and I still know that radicals and kanji are necessary…

BreadstickNinja said...
EskimoJo said... Wow! For free?! So it must've taken your boyfriend less than 3 hours...? Or you guys are no longer broke?

Anyway, no thanks.
 Chuckle chuckle
 And which level of the JLPT did you pass recently seeing that you are all the way to level 60 lol

Anyway, no thanks.
 Did you actually have something useful to say, bc you basically said nothing lol I'd love to know which level of JLPT you've passed as well 
forgottenmems said...
BreadstickNinja said...

Anyway, no thanks.
 Chuckle chuckle
 And which level of the JLPT did you pass recently seeing that you are all the way to level 60 lol
 ![](upload://hEh59kdQakWpNouYWrdwbF2zuKk.jpg)
1 Like
snackpacks said... Anyway I can skip the vocab as well and just jump to level 60? I swear I'm N1.
 There's a script to skip everything if you want...but then that wouldn't be actually learning a thing.
BreadstickNinja said...
forgottenmems said...
BreadstickNinja said...

Anyway, no thanks.
 Chuckle chuckle

I’m only on level 3 will this help me reach level 60 without working for it?

1 Like
looki said... I'm only on level 3 will this help me reach level 60 without working for it?
That's another script.. this one you actually have to learn the vocabulary and consequently the kanji reading and meaning. So this one will actually save you time, but you will still have to work for it. 
forgottenmems said...
looki said... I'm only on level 3 will this help me reach level 60 without working for it?
That's another script.. this one you actually have to learn the vocabulary and consequently the kanji reading and meaning. So this one will actually save you time, but you will still have to work for it. 
 OK Thanks I'm just trying to become fluent at Japanese in under a month.
looki said...
forgottenmems said...
 OK Thanks I'm just trying to become fluent at Japanese in under a month.
Oh a month? That seems like a long time.. you can do it in a few weeks.. if you leave this site and go elsewhere lol

Before joining wanikani, i tried to learn kanji simply by learning the vocabulary in which i saw them, using anki

it kind of worked, but after coming to wk I found that when I learned the kanji in the word, I understood the word better, and I became better equipped to guess meanings and readings of words I didn’t know, learning how readings work and how words are put together, and even learn to sort of guess at the readings of some kanji I don’t know.

It’s not impossible for me to have learned  all that from drilling vocabulary in anki alone, but I’m pretty sure it would have taken me a lot longer. I feel like wanikani speeds up the process.

So actually, I do feel that it’s in fact more efficient to do both kanji and vocab on wanikani than vocab alone, because you will learn more.

Also, wanikani’s vocabulary selection is small and restricted to words that have kanji, so you will have to supplement with non-wk vocabulary using a non-wk SRS  anyway.

If you don’t need to use the wk system (and if you can learn kanji well from drilling vocab alone then you don’t), why bother paying for it?

I’m not opposed to customizing how you use wanikani with scripts, I’m just hoping to shed a light on why this script is controversial, and why I personally disagree with it.

As she said, it’s for people who want to pay for a kanji resource but don’t want to learn kanji. So, there’s no need to pile on, just let the topic fall off the page.

aniustaluwis said... Before joining wanikani, i tried to learn kanji simply by learning the vocabulary in which i saw them, using anki

it kind of worked, but after coming to wk I found that when I learned the kanji in the word, I understood the word better, and I became better equipped to guess meanings and readings of words I didn't know, learning how readings work and how words are put together, and even learn to sort of guess at the readings of some kanji I don't know.

It's not impossible for me to have learned  all that from drilling vocabulary in anki alone, but I'm pretty sure it would have taken me a lot longer. I feel like wanikani speeds up the process.

So actually, I do feel that it's in fact more efficient to do both kanji and vocab on wanikani than vocab alone, because you will learn more.

Also, wanikani's vocabulary selection is small and restricted to words that have kanji, so you will have to supplement with non-wk vocabulary using a non-wk SRS  anyway.

If you don't need to use the wk system (and if you can learn kanji well from drilling vocab alone then you don't), why bother paying for it?

I'm not opposed to customizing how you use wanikani with scripts, I'm just hoping to shed a light on why this script is controversial, and why I personally disagree with it.
 Why pay? Well I don't like how any other SRS program is designed. I hate Anki bc I hate grading yourself and Memrise has a weird font that you cannot change.. I think Mincho when I'd prefer Gothic ... 

Above all I believe SRS is actually not the best way to study Japanese.. I spend most of my time reading, writing, speaking, and listening to Japanese literally that's all I do no SRS attached.. it's just when I get bored or tired of that bc it's taxing then I do something more brain dead like SRS. Especially when I am on the go at a doctor's office or something when I've forgotten to bring more authentic Japanese resources.. it's better to do some Japanese than none (since I do see some WK words I've learned in the wild)
Leebo said... As she said, it's for people who want to pay for a kanji resource but don't want to learn kanji. So, there's no need to pile on, just let the topic fall off the page.
 You do learn the KANJI you just don't learn the specific English key words or the radicals, but by my method you do learn an approximation as you learn more and more vocab that use the same kanji :-P And there is no question that you will learn the readings too bc you couldn't get the readings of the words right if you didn't know the reading of the kanji. 

Edit: By the way, I do think srsing just the vocab of Wanikani will allow me to say confidently that by level 60 I at least have seen all 2,000 general use characters once AND can tell you at least one reading of each of them as well as at least one vocab example of all of them as well :-)

To each their own.

BreadstickNinja said...

Breadstick… really…