[Userscript] Wanikani Heatmap

Dope! Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Is there a way to insert reviews for prior days? My heatmap doesn’t have anything for yesterday despite me doing a few review sessions on the Flaming Durtles app.

2 Likes

Yes, you just need the correct timestamp (Unix epoch, first value). To convert a date to timestamp you can use Date.parse() in the console. For example Date.parse("apr 25 2023")

Note, however, that the Heatmap will no longer pick up on any reviews done in Flaming Durtles

3 Likes

Is that just flaming durtles or other 3rd party apps as well?

1 Like

I think it’s any other browser or device if I understand correctly. It’s only stored in your local browser’s cache, so if you switch to a different browser or app, or even just clear your cache you’ll lose all of it.

3 Likes

bye bye review records

3 Likes

We no longer have access to any review data from the API, so there is no way for the Heatmap to track reviews done anywhere but on the device where it is installed

5 Likes

I have heatmap installed on multiple devices. Will it still track those on my account? Or just show the ones on that device?

I guess it doesn’t matter much anymore, but I am curious about the answer.

1 Like

Just the device where you did the reviews

3 Likes

Hello! I use flaming durtles on mobile and just did reviews on my laptop where I have the heatmap installed. It did NOT track my reviews. Is there a way to fix this? Is anyone else having this issue?

2 Likes

With the changes mentioned above and in multiple other threads, it’s currently not possible for scripts to get review data from the Wanikani servers. Kumirei did a great job at updating the heatmap super fast with a temporary workaround (make sure you have the script updated), but it can’t sync across devices. Hopefully Wanikani will sort something out to get this back up and working again, but until then we just have to manage with what we’ve got!

7 Likes

sigh; never really be frustrated with WK before. Feels like they keep changing things without thinking about what customers want. I mean- this will def reduce their hosting costs, and I’m okay with that if it’s like, “that or we go bankrupt an lose WK all together” but it’s unclear why. Like for the reasons they stated, an API throttle is the way to go

2 Likes

rip to my study streak o7

I alternate offices on different work days so i do WK on like 4 different machines (including my phone). A strange edge case but it’s still a bummer that i will no longer be able to maintain a streak :pensive: :pensive:

4 Likes

Yes I’m also having this issue :sob: it didn’t track any of the reviews I did on my laptop at work and now it won’t even track reviews I’m doing on my main laptop - no reviews are being tracked :face_with_spiral_eyes: I’m not sure what to do

1 Like

Make sure the script is up to date for it to track locally

1 Like

They hired at least 2 people if not more in the last year, so I hope that they’re not going bankrupt.

This isn’t a problem that can be solved by API throttling, or rate limiting. It’s a fundamental problem with the database query itself. API rate limiting applies at the user level. If you have 100,000 users all hitting the home page, all using a userscript that makes a single, database intensive query, which do you throttle?

I totally love my heatmap, and hope that WK devs find a solution, but this is an overly simplistic take.

2 Likes

Yeah I read the post by dev. Sounds like they need a DBA and migration. But also to answer your question: the last ones. Use a LB with weighted max cons. Anything can tip over, infra should expect that.

2 Likes

thank you for your swift work, kumi :sob: i did ~150 reviews and then noticed my heatmap was still null and freaked out lol

i updated to the newest version and it seems to be working again, but it’s also counting lessons in the review count - not sure if that’s a major issue or something that’s already slated to be straightened out later

4 Likes

Ah! Good observation. I’ll get that fixed tomorrow

2 Likes