[Userscript] Self-Study Quiz

ybsc said... Oh I see that now. I might be misunderstanding though. I'm talking about proper Wanikani reviews from wanikani.com/reviews. I assumed since https://www.wanikani.com/reviews/ wasn't in the @includes for the script, that feature wasn't implemented yet.
 Ahh, gotcha.  I overlooked the slash in "/reviews", so I didn't realize you were talking about the WK reviews page.  (I probably skimmed your message too fast... sorry >_>  )

Yeah, that sounds like a great idea!

Here's the tricky part:  The information I use in the quiz comes from the API, and the API requires fetching info by level -- which is why I placed the script on the summary pages, since they are organized by level.  If I recall correctly, the /review page doesn't provide level info.  And even if it does, you potentially have review sessions spanning a half dozen levels or more.... which is doable, but the fetcher portion of the code would need an upgrade :-).

I'm happy to work with you to integrate changes if you'd like, though the amount of time I can dedicate right now is limited.  I won't be offended if you want to fork your own version, but I think there's more to gain by uniting our efforts.

If you want to email me (rfindley@usa.net), I can give you an overview of the key data structures that you'd need to populate to make it integrate easily into what I have already.  And I apologize beforehand... the code isn't very clean, because I got pulled away to other things before I had a chance to clean it up.  The first half of the code is okay, but the quiz part is a bit haphazard.

[One of these days, I'd love to convert my caching code from the stats site over to a general data management script on WK.  Then, any other script could tap into the shared cached data to make data-oriented scripting so much easier!]

Ah, cool! Thanks for the info!

This is a backburner project for me too, so no worries on the timetable. I’ll poke around in the codebase again when I have some time and email you if I have questions. Thanks again for the help!

Why did the re-quiz feature disappear a few days ago? After a quiz I just move on to “Round 2” where I’m quizzed on all the kanji again, including the ones I got right. Other than that, awesome script!!

Edit: I tried pressing Esc after a session which took me to the summary screen where I clicked the re-quiz button, but that only took me to a new summary screen that was empty and said “Summary - 0% correct”…?

Condictor said... Why did the re-quiz feature disappear a few days ago? After a quiz I just move on to "Round 2" where I'm quizzed on all the kanji again, including the ones I got right. Other than that, awesome script!!

Edit: I tried pressing Esc after a session which took me to the summary screen where I clicked the re-quiz button, but that only took me to a new summary screen that was empty and said "Summary - 0% correct"...?
 Turn off repeat, and it will go to the summary screen at the end of a round instead of round 2.

Probably a dumb question that has been asked before, so my apology, but how exactly can one use this user script?

Hi is there any way this can be ran on an iPad?

rextruong1995 said... Probably a dumb question that has been asked before, so my apology, but how exactly can one use this user script?
 Get TamperMonkey or Greasemonkey script manager plug-in for you browser, then click the script link in the original post, and select "Install this script".
Caviles87 said... Hi is there any way this can be ran on an iPad?

Not in any way that I'm aware of.  But you can check if you ipad's browser supports a version of tampermonkey or greasemonkey, which should be all you need.
rfindley said...
Condictor said... Why did the re-quiz feature disappear a few days ago? After a quiz I just move on to "Round 2" where I'm quizzed on all the kanji again, including the ones I got right. Other than that, awesome script!!

Edit: I tried pressing Esc after a session which took me to the summary screen where I clicked the re-quiz button, but that only took me to a new summary screen that was empty and said "Summary - 0% correct"...?
 Turn off repeat, and it will go to the summary screen at the end of a round instead of round 2.
 Oh. So that's what it was. Thanks! :D And again, awesome script!

Tbh, this is my first post on the forums because I usually just browse around, but when I started using this script, I felt like I had to say something. This is nothing short of amazing. It has completely changed my WaniKani experience for the better. You’re seriously like my favorite person ever. And ur scripts are incredible. Don’t know what I would do without them.

mtcleary said... Tbh, this is my first post on the forums because I usually just browse around, but when I started using this script, I felt like I had to say something. This is nothing short of amazing. It has completely changed my WaniKani experience for the better. You're seriously like my favorite person ever. And ur scripts are incredible. Don't know what I would do without them.
 I'm glad you're finding it useful!

FYI, keep an eye out for a new variation of this script.  @ybsc has been working on a version that you can run after a review session to practice the items you got wrong.  I'm excited to see it in action, and I know it's going to be a great learning tool!

I’m not sure if this has been addressed yet, but there appears to be a bug with the audio when using Self-Study Quiz with lightning mode enabled. With lightning mode enabled the audio will still play using ctrl+a, but will usually not autoplay. I don’t know if this is just me, or if  the script is designed not to play the audio automatically with lightning mode enabled. It’s still fine because it’s easy to workaround on my end. (simply don’t use lightning mode and press enter twice every time)

mtcleary said... I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet, but there appears to be a bug with the audio when using Self-Study Quiz with lightning mode enabled. With lightning mode enabled the audio will still play using ctrl+a, but will usually not autoplay. I don't know if this is just me, or if  the script is designed not to play the audio automatically with lightning mode enabled. It's still fine because it's easy to workaround on my end. (simply don't use lightning mode and press enter twice every time)
 Thanks for posting.  I think I know exactly what the problem is.  Will try to fix tonight.

Basically, when a new item is loaded, the old audio tag is replaced with the new item's audio, which cancels playback of the old one.  Looks like I need to keep both audio links until the old one is done playing.

Oh fabulous computer 名手たち、please help me figure out how to start using this.  I installed the self-study button.  I can see it on my wani-kani dashboard.  I uploaded vocab.  But I can not use it! How do I start using it? Pleeeeeeeeeeease help the computer illiterate.  Pleeeeeeeeease.  Thank you!

crystaljpearl said... Oh fabulous computer 名手たち、please help me figure out how to start using this.  I installed the self-study button.  I can see it on my wani-kani dashboard.  I uploaded vocab.  But I can not use it! How do I start using it? Pleeeeeeeeeeease help the computer illiterate.  Pleeeeeeeeease.  Thank you!
 Do you have any additional information? Like when you go to all of the level one radicals kanji and vocab for instance, are you able to see Self Study: On Quiz Shuffle etc?

Thank you for hearing my cries.  Now I have found the self study quiz when I click on level one radicals, kanji, vocab, for example.  Thank you.  But how and when will I see the words that I uploaded?  Are they just shifted into the individual levels where they fit in within the wanikani scheme?  I uploaded 500 newspaper terms that I am supposed to learn.  How can I find those words and study with them?  Thank you!

crystaljpearl said... Thank you for hearing my cries.  Now I have found the self study quiz when I click on level one radicals, kanji, vocab, for example.  Thank you.  But how and when will I see the words that I uploaded?  Are they just shifted into the individual levels where they fit in within the wanikani scheme?  I uploaded 500 newspaper terms that I am supposed to learn.  How can I find those words and study with them?  Thank you!
 There is another script with very similar name.  The one in this thread doesn't support uploading anything.  I think you might be referring to [this] one.
mtcleary said... I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet, but there appears to be a bug with the audio when using Self-Study Quiz with lightning mode enabled. With lightning mode enabled the audio will still play using ctrl+a, but will usually not autoplay. I don't know if this is just me, or if  the script is designed not to play the audio automatically with lightning mode enabled. It's still fine because it's easy to workaround on my end. (simply don't use lightning mode and press enter twice every time)
v2.0.18 - Fixed audio playback in lightning mode, plus various other audio issues.
rfindley said...
v2.0.18 - Fixed audio playback in lightning mode, plus various other audio issues.
 Thanks!

I just began a study session doing English to Japanese for level 11 vocab, and the auto-audio doesn’t appear to be working for me now. If I do ctrl-H to view the answer, the audio will play there, and it will play again with my answer as it should, but then with subsequent answers it does not play. I was careful to ensure the option was enabled and restarted a few times to double check, but I’m still seeing it. I’m using Firefox currently.