[Userscript] Self-Study Quiz

I don’t get the loading window. I get “wkselfstudy: Failed to get API key!” in the Javascript console.

Fearfold said... I don't get the loading window. I get "wkselfstudy: Failed to get API key!" in the Javascript console.
 Have you generated an API key?  (If not, go to the Settings menu on WaniKani, and Generate New Key)

It works. Thanks a lot.  :wink:

Fearfold said... It works. Thanks a lot.  ;)
 No problem :-)    One of these days, I'll add code to auto-generate an api key.

v2.0.14 - Fixed some additional duplicate-event issues.

I noticed the keyboard response kept getting slower after a few hundred reviews.  Should be fixed now.

Great! It made me abandon Kaniwani as I have now full control over what I want to review and how many times.

Thank you so much for your work on this! This has been a very useful script for me!

This is an incredible userscript…It is now my most essential one for Wanikani. It would be almost perfect if you could choose what specific radicals/kanji/vocabulary to study in particular. Thank you very much for your hard work on this!

RainHeaven said... This is an incredible userscript..It is now my most essential one for Wanikani. It would be almost perfect if you could choose what specific radicals/kanji/vocabulary to study in particular. Thank you very much for your hard work on this!
 I'm glad you're finding it useful!

I've pondered ways to be able to select a custom quiz set, but the ideas I've come up with so far all require more work than I want to invest at the moment.

The easiest to implement would be to add a [+] and [-] button to the existing quiz.  During a quiz, if you encounter an item that you want to study more, you would click the [+] button to add it to a custom set, which would be stored in your browser storage.  Then, you could later quiz yourself on the custom set.  As you get better with those items, you could click [-] to remove an item from the set.

Would that accomplish what you had in mind?  If not, tell me more about what goals you have in mind, and maybe how you envision it working.  I'm not planning to do any scripting in the next month or so since I'm starting a new consulting project, but it will at least give me some ideas to ponder until then.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!  I'm always interested to hear about people's study methods... what works, what doesn't, new ideas for tools/scripts, etc.
1 Like

Perhaps some sort of integration with [Item Marker] to be able to do custom quizzes?
That would make it perfect for me.
It happens often during reviews that I doubt between 2 kanji with similar appearances so I “mark them”, but after that I just have a list of marked kanji/vocab on my dashboard.
In addition to that, it would allow for critical items to be reviewed separately instead of spread out with the other reviews.
I know there are options to export critical items to anki or houhou, but it would be really handy if I didn’t have to leave WK to review those (also makes it possible to sort through them and pick the ones you feel you want to review more often, instead of being “forced” to do all critical items.)

Just a thought, not sure if its possible to implement, or if it is way too time consuming to even consider.
Either way, I love your scripts, thanks for the hard work you do for this community <3

rfindley said..
The easiest to implement would be to add a [+] and [-] button to the existing quiz.  During a quiz, if you encounter an item that you want to study more, you would click the [+] button to add it to a custom set, which would be stored in your browser storage.  Then, you could later quiz yourself on the custom set.  As you get better with those items, you could click [-] to remove an item from the set.
 Yes, that sounds just like the thing I would need! My main problem with Wanikani is that it doesn't really allow you to sufficiently study the new radicals/kanji/vocabulary and rather reply on SRS. While this isn't bad, its better to get it stuck in your head sooner so you can get them correct faster and move on quicker. Self-studying the new stuff until you have it memorized pretty well then relying on SRS seems like a effective method.

this is so useful. thanks!

Just installed on a mac running OS X 10.11 using Safari and ran into these issues:

• Depending on screen zoom level, the quiz settings div (defined on line 132) can end up 1 pixel taller than the topbar div, which causes it to extend into the qwrap div below and shove its lower interface to the right.  Adding the line " ’    <div style=“clear: both;”></div>'+" after line 143 fixes the issue, though there’s probably better ways of doing it.
  • KeyboardEvent.code, which you used on line 1211, is not supported by all browsers (as shown here: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/KeyboardEvent/code).  Browsers that don’t support it (like Safari) won’t be able to use the enter or escape keys, which makes the interface pretty hard to use.  KeyboardEvent.keyCode is supported by all current browsers (though it’s deprecated, so you may want to use it only if .code isn’t available).  Note that.keyCode returns an integer (rather than a string).
  • It would be nice if you could also use the Meta/Command key instead of the ctrl key for commands (can be added by adding an “|| e.metaKey” to line 1224).
It would be nice if you could fix them.
Thanks.

TellowKrinkle said... Just installed on a mac running OS X 10.11 using Safari and ran into these issues:
v2.0.15 - Fixes for hotkey and display issues on Mac/Safari.

I don't have a Mac to test on, so let me know if this fixes everything.
Thanks!!

Thank you so much for this! I’ve been wanting to more closely follow your suggested method of WaniKani learning, but was initially doing it by creating my own decks to study. That got quite time-consuming, so this is perfect.

Edit: I’m loving this so far. Did some quizzes today and I’m already feeling better because I’ve been eternally afraid of forgetting too much vocab. There is a minor bug I encountered. I was reviewing vocab using Firefox version 47.0.1. You’re able to see my active settings in the screenshot below. When I reach the end of a quiz, I get the “Round ” popup. I was trying to figure out how to see my Summary section, so I hit Escape on the keyboard and instead got this (below), with the Round 3 popup hiding my Summary. I was unable to get rid of it, either by pressing Enter or via other means.

SleepyOne said...[...]
There is a minor bug I encountered. I was reviewing vocab using Firefox version 47.0.1. You're able to see my active settings in the screenshot below. When I reach the end of a quiz, I get the "Round [X]" popup. I was trying to figure out how to see my Summary section, so I hit Escape on the keyboard and instead got this (below), with the Round 3 popup hiding my Summary. I was unable to get rid of it, either by pressing Enter or via other means.
[...] 

v2.0.16 - Prevent simultaneous 'round' and 'summary' screens.

I'm glad you're finding the script useful! ^_^

rfindley said...v2.0.15 - Fixes for hotkey and display issues on Mac/Safari.

I don't have a Mac to test on, so let me know if this fixes everything.
Thanks!!
 It sure does.  Thanks!

Awesome script! I can tell you put a lot of work into it.

I had a feature request and was thinking about forking the script to implement it. I want to be able to use the incorrect items on the /review page as the cards for an impromptu quiz. Basically, after a big round of reviews, I want to be able to go through my incorrect items one more time right after I finish.

My question is: would you advise implementing this new feature inline with the existing script, or hard forking and making a completely new script based off this one?

ybsc said... Awesome script! I can tell you put a lot of work into it.

I had a feature request and was thinking about forking the script to implement it. I want to be able to use the incorrect items on the /review page as the cards for an impromptu quiz. Basically, after a big round of reviews, I want to be able to go through my incorrect items one more time right after I finish.

My question is: would you advise implementing this new feature inline with the existing script, or hard forking and making a completely new script based off this one?
 There's a requiz button on the summary screen.  Click that, and it will only quiz you on the ones you got wrong. (added in v2.0.5)  ^_^

Oh I see that now. I might be misunderstanding though. I’m talking about proper Wanikani reviews from wanikani.com/reviews. I assumed since https://www.wanikani.com/reviews/ wasn’t in the @includes for the script, that feature wasn’t implemented yet.