[Userscript] Self-Study Quiz

@rfindley , I have a request that might be useful for some people, and possible simple to implement.

The “commonly used expressions” for vocab items has gradually expanded. Most now have an audio field. I have found them very helpful in study.

Would it be an easy thing to add them as an option in the self study quiz?

天才プログラマー大好きだね。 :wink:

2 Likes

That audio is computer-generated and not in vanilla WK – it’s accidentally added by the Advanced Context Sentence script because the script thinks these are also context sentences. If you switch to a different Pattern of Use and then back to the initially selected one you will notice that the script does not re-apply its modifications and the examples stay in their vanilla WK appearance.

Furthermore, the original Advanced Context Sentence script is not maintained anymore, but there is a newer version:

However, this version “fixes” the “problem” described above and only changes the context sentences without affecting the Common Word Combinations section. If you are using this bug as a feature, it might be better to not switch to the newer version.

3 Likes

It is funny, I had not noticed the audio field until just when I posted this, and thought maybe I just didn’t notice it before.

In fact, it is just the browser am was using, in combination with the advanced sentence script.

In any case, the usage examples are still nice for the vocab.

3 Likes

As far as I know, the usage examples are not available via the API, so it would be a bit more difficult to use them in a script.

3 Likes

I can just scrape them from WK and make Anki cards, with a little work… I thought maybe someone could do it easily for me. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I wanted to return to study, but can’t open the Self-Study Quiz. There is no button to start the quiz, neither in the level area nor in the menu (I used to start the quiz from the level area). The menu has no scripts-section. I Use Tampermonkey, WK Open Framework (on first position), Self-Study Quiz & Hide Info are updated. Does anyone know a solution?

Are you on Chrome? The latest build seems to cause some wonkiness.

Updating to Tampermonkey beta seems to resolve the issue: All plugins stopped working in Chrome

Thank you. Unfortunately, the scripts doesn’t seem to work with chrome since a few weeks. I tried firefox and everything works fine. I hope the problem is not permanent. For the moment I guess I have to switch browsers to learn. :see_no_evil:

Tampermonkey Beta does not work too :confused:

For what it’s worth, I followed the instructions detailed here and my scripts are all still working with chrome.

I tried :frowning: I followed the instructions exactly, but the Quiz button ist still not there.

Which button are you referring to? The main menu, like this?

Or the button created by the Self-Study Hide Info script?

both.

no scripts in the menu

and no quiz in the level segment

but the scripts seems to work

Okay, thanks. It’s probably the recent Chrome or TamperMonkey issue (which I can’t help with since I haven’t been able to replicate it here), but there are a few things we can try to make sure.

First, (and pardon if you already know this, but it never hurts to confirm)… do you have Open Framework as the #1 script in TamperMonkey?

Also, please confirm that you have the latest version of Open Framework, which should be 1.0.60.

And finally, can you post any errors in the Javascript Console? (Press F12, click on the Console tab, and post what you see there)

Of course, thanks for the help. I uninstalled Tampermonkey and switched to Tampermonkey Beta in chrome.
Here are the installed Userscripts:

Here is the error-screen:

Firefox works fine as it should:

So, no relevant errors shown in Chrome’s Javascript console. Really does sound like the Chrome/TamperMonkey issue.

Since I can’t replicate it, can you show me what your TamperMonkey icon and menu look like in Chrome? For example:

I’m looking for:

• Number of scripts that TamperMonkey says it’s running (on the TamperMonkey icon)
  • That TamperMonkey itself is Enabled
  • Which scripts TamperMonkey says (and therefore thinks) it’s running.

sure :slight_smile:

Thanks so much. Sad to report, everything looks exactly as it should – except for the scripts not working, of course – so this does seem like the Chrome/TamperMonkey issue.

The only thing I can suggest at this point – other than wait for a new version of Chrome and/or TamperMonkey – is to use a different browser. For whatever it’s worth, I use Brave browser, which is just Chrome with built-in anti-tracking. It’s working for me. Others have reported that Firefox is working for them.

Edit: I just installed the original Chrome (as opposed to Brave), and Chrome works fine for me, too. This really is a mysterious bug. I wonder if there’s some bug with Chrome’s update script that leaves the browser in a strange state.

What OS are you running? (idly wondering if this could be a Mac Chrome Tampermonkey issue)

Thanks for taking the time and checking. Firefox works for me, so I will use this for the moment.

I don’t use a mac. I use a Laptop/Pc with windows 11. But I use windows 11 since december and I’m very sure the scripts still worked at the beginning of 2022, so after the w11 update.

1 Like