[Userscript] Self-Study Quiz

Okay. If you have any coding experience, you can look at my Additional Filters add-on script and see if you can change the Related Items filter to do what you want. If that’s not possible, I can try to take a look when I have time. But that might not be for a few weeks at the earliest.

In the meantime though, I recommend you at least try out the leech filter to see if it’s useful. It may not be exactly what you want, but it’s probably better than nothing.

@rfindley
hmmm, I’m wondering how to quiz ALL or some ( kanji, radical, vocab) at one specific level? Atm I only can quiz vocab or kanji or radical separate from the level section, the quiz box in the menu doesn’t have a choice to set at a specific level or type
Maybe I’m wrong at something

On this case, I think you should add a level choice and type choice on this menu in the upper image, It’s so annoying when I have to go to setting and type number ( or choice ) , then save to choose a level specific, thanks your code is awesome !

Those are just presets. Click the gear icon on the right to modify your settings, including creating or modify a preset. You have total flexibility inside the settings to select by level, type, srs level, etc. And if you’ve installed the Additional Filters script, you can also select items in other ways, such as whether they were recently reviewed, whether they are leeches, etc.

@rfindley
Hi. I keep getting the error that ‘wanakana’ is not defined in console. The Quiz is stuck on “loading”

Tried going to https://unpkg.com/wanakana and I got the error
“Cannot find “/index.js” in wanakana@4.0.2”

However, I can access https://unpkg.com/wanakana@4.0.2/es/index.js just fine.

Sounds like your browser isn’t forwarding from
https://unpkg.com/wanakana
to
https://unpkg.com/wanakana@4.0.2/umd/wanakana.min.js

When I enter the first URL into my browser, it forwards to the 2nd. The intent is to use the latest version.

Try replacing the @require URL at the top of the Self-Study Quiz script with the 2nd URL I listed above. If that works, maybe I’ll make the change official.

Works perfectly now.

Thank you!

@rfindley
how to quiz the review that will happen in x hours, for instance if I have 20 review in 2 hours later----> how to set config for only doing quiz that section :roll_eyes:
and, do you have any strategy for use this script??? when I have many levels how to use it correctly? just choose all ? that mean thousand quiz at high levels,and it don’t have a save function! like save progress during the long quiz :sweat_smile: then maybe I will repeat the question I done

It’s not good to quiz your upcoming reviews, because Wanikani’s reviews are supposed to check if you need to see each item more often or less often based on how well you remember them. If you quiz right before a review, you will refresh your memory, so Wanikani will get a false measure of your memory, it will show you items less often than you need.

• You can use the quiz for intense study of your apprentice items so you will remember them well, but don’t continue quizzing guru and above. So, if you start to forget something, Wanikani will detect it and give you more reviews of that item.
  • With the “Additional Filters” script, you can quiz your leeches – items that you get wrong frequently – to help strengthen your memory.
  • How I used it: Quiz your old levels, a different level each day, on a rotating schedule. Use Ultimate Timeline’s “details” view to see what levels are in your upcoming reviews, and don’t quiz on those levels.

When you have many levels, use the Settings screen to create new presets, and choose filters that select a small subset of items:

• Select just one level
  • Select just leech items (using “Additional Filters” script)
  • Or just allow all items, but limit the quiz size to 100 (or whatever) in the settings. You may get a few repeats, but it will be random, so you will eventually cover all items.
1 Like

Also, Additional Filters has an option specifically to avoid upcoming reviews.

3 Likes

@rfindley

this script is awesome, but it lacks an important thing, a dictionary. For instance, I give an false answer, so I need to have to look a meaning ( how to read, how to listen… ) of it, like the info in the review section. Without this, I must type the character or look in the character list, which is not comfortable
like this picture, I need access this section from the quiz interface :rofl:

You can get the correct answer by pressing F1, or clicking the image icon. Does that give you what you’re looking for?

Seeing all of the information at the same time may give you the answer to the next question (e.g. you would also see the meaning even though you got the reading wrong).

1 Like

@rfindley In many cases some users will want to look up for the word appear on the quiz to revise, I think a pop up to fast look up any word is nice, atm I must open a new tab and enter the character to see what it mean to revise. I wonder if there is any script to do this because this is crucial to revise

@jays Have you tried pressing F1 or on the questionmark? I think it should show what the answer is supposed to be :S

I suggested that two posts up. Sounds like he’s really wanting a link to the WK page instead (or in addition).

1 Like

I concur with jays, having only the answer but no mnemonics etc. is a bit underwhelming.

I get that it’s maybe not easy to implement and/or display in a nice and suitable way, but I think at least a link to the item’s page would be a plus to help reviewing forgotten items.

It shouldn’t be a problem to add (when I get time). I did want to make sure jays knew about F1 first, and also point out the consequence of seeing too much info, maybe giving you the answer to your next quiz question… though I’m all for being empowered to choose for yourself when that’s appropriate! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

But it not show the mmemonic story

yes I knew all the function, and I’m mentioning about the mmemonic story, I can’t get why I have the answer, maybe a balloon (pop up message ) like the macos dictionary will work ( better than open in a new tab ). Pop up may only contain reading or meaning mmemonic or both :hugs:

@rfindley During a reading question, I’m able to play the audio using Ctrl+A before answering. That probably shouldn’t be allowed.

I was having a look at the code for this script as an example of WKOF settings and found this. Is that correct?